Is Cursive Handwriting Dying? And Is That Bad for Society?

Yes, same here.

My boss and ENT doctor used messy cursive so I can't understand at all.

I asked them to use print writing or typing.

ASL interpreter is #1!

They do that so people cannot copy the prescriptions. They write in abbreviated Latin.

At the VA clinic that I use, the doctors prefer to send in prescriptions by computer; it goes straight from the doctor's computer to the pharmacy and is ready for pickup before the patient leaves. (I presume they use a strong password for this process, and I believe it's a closed system.)

However, I always ask for a hand-written prescription. The weird way the military works with VA system is this: if I use the VA computer prescription I have to pay a deductible; if I hand carry the hand-written prescription down the hall to the Navy pharmacy I pay zero. Duh!

When I explained that to my doctor she fully agreed with my request. She wasn't even aware of that loophole.

ί rℯαℓℓϒ ℓίķℯ ςμrşίѵℯ Ъμℸ ϒℴμ ςαη'ℸ ℊℯℸ α ѵℯrϒ ℊℴℴ∂ ƒℴηℸ ƒℴr ίℸ ℴη ℸℎℯ ςℴღ℘μℸℯr. ℸℎαℸ ღαϒ Ъℯ ℸℎℯ rℯαşℴη ωℎϒ ίℸ ίş Ъℯίηℊ ℘ℎαşℯ∂ ℴμℸ??

no. just no

I know how to cursive but I have trouble to read at most time, especially for small letter and messy.

Same here. I have trouble to read like "i", "e","l" and they are pretty close same and "d" (it looks like ol or d). They confused me so easy. I am happy that most sheet said PRINT only.

sad, i use both, combined of cursive and print .. jeez thanks a lot to the computer that i rely on keyboard too excess.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate reading teachers or doctors writing in cursive like those letters are useless for me to read because i cant read their writing in cursive. it makes sense why cursive become decreased.

Because some doctors can't spelling long words or med name and make up by cursive that you can't read it. (Joke)

ban computers from schools, and bring back handwriting skills

Bad idea. I can't write on the paper with long words due dyslexia issue. I can write very short words and type on the computer with long words (thanks to spelling checking) No MATTER how many time I relearning the spelling and I still get bad spelling.

Bad idea. I can't write on the paper with long words due dyslexia issue. I can write very short words and type on the computer with long words (thanks to spelling checking) No MATTER how many time I relearning the spelling and I still get bad spelling.

Same here, I heavily depends on spelling check and doing very well with typing.

Paper? no thanks. :ugh:

They do that so people cannot copy the prescriptions. They write in abbreviated Latin.

I'm talking about communicate between doctor and me in writing.

The prescription is different story.

At the VA clinic that I use, the doctors prefer to send in prescriptions by computer; it goes straight from the doctor's computer to the pharmacy and is ready for pickup before the patient leaves. (I presume they use a strong password for this process, and I believe it's a closed system.)

However, I always ask for a hand-written prescription. The weird way the military works with VA system is this: if I use the VA computer prescription I have to pay a deductible; if I hand carry the hand-written prescription down the hall to the Navy pharmacy I pay zero. Duh!

When I explained that to my doctor she fully agreed with my request. She wasn't even aware of that loophole.

I prefer a handwritten prescription too because my pharmacy always don't get all electronic prescription because some of them got lost at middle of transmit. I had to drove back to doctor office and told them that my pharmacy didn't get it. That was too hassle.

I'm talking about communicate between doctor and me in writing.

The prescription is different story.

Are you talking about the comments on test results? The majority of correspondence I receive is typed computer printout.

Are you talking about the comments on test results? The majority of correspondence I receive is typed computer printout.

dude.... it's not that hard to understand....

foxrac and his doctor communicated with each other thru paper and pen.....

if doing science calculation advanced maths etc i dont know how to get symbols on computer i know there way, much quicker worked it out in head then written (I dont do advanced math thank god).
One of reasons doctors do not use much written stuff is because they abbreviated Latin,I do myself..It caused confusion and fatalities.
I was told pitmans shorthand was good if had dyslexia so taught myself,it not true

so. computers helps you cheat, right

Cheat? My spelling is so bad I often have to put my sentence into google because regular spell check doesn't come up with the right words. Even then I'll pick another word some times if I can't figure out how to spell the one I want. Having bad spelling is a lot of work.

Back