Is Cursive Handwriting Dying? And Is That Bad for Society?

Honestly, I don't see how a kid using a computer in elementary school gives them any kind of edge in the adult workplace.

I think they have more opportunities if they are well-grounded in the basics, learn how to reason, develop curiosity, and establish self-discipline.

What good is a set of computer skills if you never learn how to show up for work daily, on time, and ready to work? How can you succeed if you aren't curious about the world around you, past, present and future?

I see too many students who are only concerned with doing enough class work to meet the requirements and get a good grade. They don't care whether or not they actually learned something that they can use in life or bettering themselves.

I'm still a student myself, and yes, I like getting good grades but I also like knowing that with each class that I finish I've learned something that I can put to good use or at least be better informed about.

I don't see why students can't learn and use cursive writing PLUS be skilled on computers. One skill doesn't have to cancel out the other.

quibbling.... I'm not interested in minuscule details

eh not really. I'm here in AD a lot and I'm also in social life a lot. I'm not fat. I exercise. you're generalizing way too much.... on negative side.

I wasn't speaking of you, so stop taking everything so literal. I was referring to kids today, writing just as you do on paper and the computer because we as a society have gotten lazy put no emphasis on writing well. We also have neglected to remember that children require exerise. You need to re-read my post before taking some kind of personal attack out of everything I write.

Honestly, I don't see how a kid using a computer in elementary school gives them any kind of edge in the adult workplace.

I think they have more opportunities if they are well-grounded in the basics, learn how to reason, develop curiosity, and establish self-discipline.

What good is a set of computer skills if you never learn how to show up for work daily, on time, and ready to work? How can you succeed if you aren't curious about the world around you, past, present and future?

I see too many students who are only concerned with doing enough class work to meet the requirements and get a good grade. They don't care whether or not they actually learned something that they can use in life or bettering themselves.

I'm still a student myself, and yes, I like getting good grades but I also like knowing that with each class that I finish I've learned something that I can put to good use or at least be better informed about.

I don't see why students can't learn and use cursive writing PLUS be skilled on computers. One skill doesn't have to cancel out the other.

Computer skills are important because everything in employment now uses it to a large degree. However schools no longer stress other areas that are just as vital to personal and job success: public speaking skills, getting along with others (is it me, or does bullying seem more and more of a problem, both online and in schools?), being at a healthy weight and physically active (our parents generation never sat this much). They use to teach classes in my generation of the importance of presentation: being on time, dressing well and not speaking to your boss the same way to talk to your friends.

Schools spend so much time on testing that they don't realize we losing the children in all the areas that count.

I wasn't speaking of you, so stop taking everything so literal. I was referring to kids today, writing just as you do on paper and the computer because we as a society have gotten lazy put no emphasis on writing well. We also have neglected to remember that children require exerise. You need to re-read my post before taking some kind of personal attack out of everything I write.

yes I know you weren't referring to me and that's why I said you're generalizing way too much. In fact - I have no idea what's the basis of your general analysis as it does not match up with the reality.

umad, bro?

Computer skills are important because everything in employment now uses it to a large degree....
I'm not discounting computer skills. I just don't think what kids do with computers in elementary school will give them a leg up in the adult job market. I also don't think that being skilled on a computer and acquiring other skills and abilities have to be mutually exclusive. In fact, I don't think that, I know that. One can have computer skills and be reasonably physically fit, creative, scholastically well-rounded, and socially adept.

STEM education, anyone? That is being implemented in our schools in my state...it is not just learning how to use the computers...it is learning how to address real world problems using science, technology, engineering, and math practices using problem solving skills, close reading, text complexity and so much more. It is a whole different approach in educating our children.

That will start at the PreK level all the way to high school graduation....

STEM education, anyone? That is being implemented in our schools in my state...it is not just learning how to use the computers...it is learning how to address real world problems using science, technology, engineering, and math practices using problem solving skills, close reading, text complexity and so much more. It is a whole different approach in educating our children.

That will start at the PreK level all the way to high school graduation....
Some of us don't have children in public school, so maybe you could explain what STEM is.

With each class you learned something that was yours. You had understanding.

I think it's sad when people can't read cursive writing. It also forces those of us who use cursive to switch to printing because the people we write to might not be able to understand cursive. :(

When I was a kid, I couldn't wait to learn cursive writing. I felt that printing was for little kids and cursive was "grown up" writing.

Totally! I could not wait for 3rd grade back then, so I copied cursive out of a book very.... slowly.... In 1st grade.
I was proud of myself when I did manage to write "I love you Mom" in cursive on a pretty card I made! :giggle:

Totally! I could not wait for 3rd grade back then, so I copied cursive out of a book very.... slowly.... In 1st grade.
I was proud of myself when I did manage to write "I love you Mom" in cursive on a pretty card I made! :giggle:
I also had to teach myself. We had moved cross country during my second grade. The new school had already taught the kids to write cursive. So, the teacher handed me the book and told me to teach myself and catch up. I did. :giggle:

ί rℯαℓℓϒ ℓίķℯ ςμrşίѵℯ Ъμℸ ϒℴμ ςαη'ℸ ℊℯℸ α ѵℯrϒ ℊℴℴ∂ ƒℴηℸ ƒℴr ίℸ ℴη ℸℎℯ ςℴღ℘μℸℯr. ℸℎαℸ ღαϒ Ъℯ ℸℎℯ rℯαşℴη ωℎϒ ίℸ ίş Ъℯίηℊ ℘ℎαşℯ∂ ℴμℸ??

I can't recall where I saw or heard it but I ran across it somewhere. Part of the going to computers and/or tablets is that electronic versions of textbooks are cheaper than those printed on paper. That then makes it easier to keep up to date versions in use.

ban computers from schools, and bring back handwriting skills

Are we a fans of the dark ages? There was much damage to human intellect that was done during that time? Perhaps we should bring up coal from the cellar to heat our flat?

We cannot live in the past because the future is always upon us.

Back