is broadcast tv free?

DefMATRIXense

Reaction score
My friend and I argued over broadcast TV. He said it is free. In addition, I disagreed with him because it is not free and we pay to watch on TV. How do we pay is paying electronic bill and few dollars directly to broadcast companies. FCC is paying broadcast companies and we pay to FCC as electronic bill. Please tell us who is right and wrong, explain why, and needed some proofs. I tried to research on yahoo.com but nothing coming up

Any television that you get with an antenna is free. The costs is paid for by advertising. Same goes with radio. The costs is paid for by advertising.

1.) Broadcast TV channels are FREE.
2.) Cable TV channels not free at all that which u have to pay one cent or more!

prostock19, I guess you are right :)

Lasza, of course it is free but who paid broadcast companies.

water is free, but you pay to have it delivered to your house. Same thing.

Originally posted by DefMATRIXense
prostock19, I guess you are right :)

Lasza, of course it is free but who paid broadcast companies.

Broadcast companies get paid by their customers (paid services) and also for running ads on their commericals. NBC paid billions of dollars (to NFL associations) to have superbowl on their network...ohter current broadcast companies has bid for it.....right now I don't know who would get the next super bowl.....anyways, those companies who paid $1.5 million per second (to those who won the superbowl bid) to have their ad ran during a superbowl commerical. FCC is paid by those broadcast network for licenses and various of fees.

Those that you see that uses antennas are free to the customers so those shows get paid by running ads. Even there's few shows that pay those broadcasts to run them.

It's like a free webpage service. You sign it up for a free webhosting but you'd know there are banners in your webpages. Same idea about TVs.

I stole cable! I get free cable! ovef 100+ channels! woohoo!

Actually, someone forget to unplug the cable and it leave there. I don't need to remind the cable company. Shh...

I and my hubby watch free television with only 5 or 6 channels. That's good enough for us. :dunno: We don't need cable or television service to watch TV because we don't watch television much.

Originally posted by ChelEler
I and my hubby watch free television with only 5 or 6 channels. That's good enough for us. :dunno: We don't need cable or television service to watch TV because we don't watch television much.

You're just like my mom....she only has 3, PBS, CBS, and fuzzy Fox.

She lives out in the country so her antenna doesn't get good reception.

Originally posted by illustrator
I stole cable! I get free cable! ovef 100+ channels! woohoo!

Actually, someone forget to unplug the cable and it leave there. I don't need to remind the cable company. Shh...

Ehh..that reminds me...when my dad was diagnoised with colon cancer -- he got his package from his insurance company that he worked for...you know, the retirement package? He got it early cos he knew he wasn't going to live until over 60, so he got it and went out on a shopping spree. He bought a huge TV (U know that tv, Java? ;)) Ne ways, when he got the tv, he had a friend who offered to split wires and get us connected to a black box to access cable for cable tv for 'free' -- only cost $50 to have it done.

Mum enjoyed it for nearly 5 years of free cable after Dad died. (the Cable company switched managements a few months ago, so cable got cut off. Oh well...heh!)

in UK, we get 5 channels,

BBC1
BBC2
ITV
CH4
CH5

we all must get TV licence to view BBC channels as its belong to british government but ITV, CH4 and CH5 are free cos they get paid by advertising.

TV Licence is around £110 yearly. Blaire is a wanker

tsk tsk Waterrats LOL -- using a black box -- my parents had 2 of them too for years til dad's death then several months later the service changed ownership and it went dead oh well LOL

i use basic cable -- no HBO or other movie channels -- no real reason to have it as i dont watch other channels much outside of the 4 networks -- ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC

Originally posted by jn
water is free, but you pay to have it delivered to your house. Same thing.

No, it isn't free. They measure the water you use.

aw.. it's not free for me here, since i live in small town.. only have 1 channel :-( NBC that's all i can watch here.. hafta buy cable to watch all broadcast channels and few shit channels i never watch grrr!

Originally posted by Banjo
No, it isn't free. They measure the water you use.

That's right!

For house, pay water bill by measures. i notice.

For apartment, pay water bill that included rent.

For townhouse/condo, pay water that included HOA (Homeowner Assoication). Checked it out on Annual Budget for my townhouse. I see we still pay $$ to water costs. Dang!

Not aware about mobile home. Cuz I never live there. Also not ask my friend about that.

Originally posted by Lasza
That's right!

For house, pay water bill by measures. i notice.

For apartment, pay water bill that included rent.

For townhouse/condo, pay water that included HOA (Homeowner Assoication). Checked it out on Annual Budget for my townhouse. I see we still pay $$ to water costs. Dang!

Not aware about mobile home. Cuz I never live there. Also not ask my friend about that.

Well i do know some places that are free water.. homes that is out of city limits, they use well water, which is free, b ut have to pay for electric bill to pump it up.

Back