Introduction

Kelwyn

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Kelwyn, I'm 16 years old and i have partial hearing loss. I really like movies and video games, and I'm really into the game Overwatch right now!
I've decided recently to start focusing more on learning ASL and trying to interact more within the Deaf community, and I thought this might be a good starting point for me. :bye:

Hi! Welcome!!! So you're HOH? Great that you've decided to learn ASL! It's an awesome second language! There's actually a lot of options out there for you! Unfortunatly b/c of NY law, only profound kids can attend NY Schools for the Deaf. (yes, I know. Very silly and archaic) However, you COULD attend Deaf Camp this coming summer and be immersed in it, so you can pick it up just like that! https://www.gallaudet.edu/clerc-cen...l-resources-and-directories/summer-camps.html Check out the Gally programs. There's even a camp for new teen signers who want to learn ASL. Also check out the other camps. There's all kinds from state deaf school summer programs to traditonal libral arts camps, to religious camps to sports camps. I know that Iso Bella (American School's camp) is open to dhh kids from all over the states. Same with Indy School's summer program. You might be able to request ASL instruction from your Teacher of the Deaf. There's also the possibilty of going to MSSD, the Deaf High School on Gally's campus in Washington DC. Virtually ALL Schools for the Deaf are experienced with new signers. Just a suggestion. Also if your grandparents live in another state that has a decent deaf school, you can attend that state's Deaf School. Good luck!

Welcome :) I too like overwatch but my husband has been on a fallout 4 kick so I don't play as much as I use to. anyways welcome.

Hi! Welcome!!! So you're HOH? Great that you've decided to learn ASL! It's an awesome second language! There's actually a lot of options out there for you! Unfortunatly b/c of NY law, only profound kids can attend NY Schools for the Deaf. (yes, I know. Very silly and archaic) However, you COULD attend Deaf Camp this coming summer and be immersed in it, so you can pick it up just like that! https://www.gallaudet.edu/clerc-cen...l-resources-and-directories/summer-camps.html Check out the Gally programs. There's even a camp for new teen signers who want to learn ASL. Also check out the other camps. There's all kinds from state deaf school summer programs to traditonal libral arts camps, to religious camps to sports camps. I know that Iso Bella (American School's camp) is open to dhh kids from all over the states. Same with Indy School's summer program. You might be able to request ASL instruction from your Teacher of the Deaf. There's also the possibilty of going to MSSD, the Deaf High School on Gally's campus in Washington DC. Virtually ALL Schools for the Deaf are experienced with new signers. Just a suggestion. Also if your grandparents live in another state that has a decent deaf school, you can attend that state's Deaf School. Good luck!

Yes, I'm HoH and really excited to start learning more about the community/language/culture!
Thank you so much for all the links and suggestions! Traveling is kinda out of the question for me and my family at the moment, but I'll totally be looking into the NY based camps, a couple seem to be pretty close to us. :)

Yes, I'm HoH and really excited to start learning more about the community/language/culture!
Thank you so much for all the links and suggestions! Traveling is kinda out of the question for me and my family at the moment, but I'll totally be looking into the NY based camps, a couple seem to be pretty close to us. :)
Excellent! Deaf camps rock! I think those are a must attend, especially for mostly mainstreamed kids . You'll have a blast!
and check out MSSD if possible. If you get accepted the state would pay for you to attend! http://www.gallaudet.edu/mssd.html That might be another option. (forgot to include the site in my orginal post)

Back