Interpreter's salary

Is that right? Let me mow your yard so I can expect a tip-- a round trip vacation would do it. ;)

Where did Byrdie say he tipped the person who mowed his yard?

There are any number of people who will send a small gift of appreciation to their doctor or dentist, particularly at holiday time. Children will also often do this for teachers, and parents for childcare providers. That is considered a tip. It is a gratuity offered over and above the cost of the service provided.

Where did Byrdie say he tipped the person who mowed his yard?

I was offering him my service as a joke, because he says he tips. I don't know what's your problem is, but laid off of me, will you? You got some issues. :roll:

Yes, same with here in Germany as well.

One of my friends fired an interpreter and make a new termin for get another interpreter with reason in writing.

I can choose interpreter what I wish. I give the list of my wish interpreters to Agency for keep for case if I request an interpreter...

In that case, you are making the request for the interpreter directly to the agency. The contract in that instance would be between you and the terp.

In an educational setting, in this case a college, the request for the terp is made to the disability services office. The disability services office makes the request for a terp to the agency, so the contractual agreement is between the college and the agency. Therefore, the student cannot fire the terp. They can file a grievance with the disability services office if they have a perceived problem with the terp they have been assigned, but only the college can break the contractual acgreement.

I was offering him my service as a joke, because he says he tips. I don't know what's your problem is, but laid off of me, will you? You got some issues. :roll:

Your humor failed to come through. It appeared to be sarcasm.

I've known the college to require a student signature on a "roll" sheet to prove that the parties were present but I've never heard of them signing a time sheet that gets submitted to payroll or for invoicing.

*raise my hand*

The Interpreter provided us including students to sign the time sheet for Agency to prove interpreter's present and how long he/she interpreted for us before Agency pay them.

*raise my hand*

The Interpreter provided us including students to sign the time sheet for Agency to prove interpreter's present and how long he/she interpreted for us before Agency pay them.

That is a "roll sheet", not a time sheet that is used to determine pay. Plus, the system may work a bit differently in Germany. Inthe U.S., the schools are madated to certain procedures under the ADA.

That is a "roll sheet", not a time sheet that is used to determine pay. Plus, the system may work a bit differently in Germany. Inthe U.S., the schools are madated to certain procedures under the ADA.

Oh I see... I thought "roll sheet" mean is time sheet...

Yes, I aware that system is different between Germany & America. I like to learn more about US interpreter system...

Oh I see... I thought "roll sheet" mean is time sheet...

Yes, I aware that system is different between Germany & America. I like to learn more about US interpreter system...

No, they are different documents. If you have questions about the system, please ask. We will be happy to answer.

For instance, I have a document I sign when I get to the office, and when I leave the office. That is the roll sheet, or attendance sheet. Then I have a different document that I turn into the payroll office that is used to determine my pay. That is the time sheet. It is signed by me and my supervisor.

:hmm: I suppose I should do that :cool2:

I suggest you try that. They would remember you on your next visit and they would more likely try to spend more time with you than anyone else.

Works for me because before--the doctor would come in and leave the room--less than 4 minutes. Now he would stay in the room for at least 15 minutes! :lol:

Same for the dentist--besides I appreciate the dentist for helping me maintain my " $10,000 smile! "

*raise my hand*

Jillio's post pretty much answered the same way that I would.

Just to add a little:

When I work at places other than the college, I don't sign any kind of rolls, attendance, or time sheets at the site. There is no paperwork exchanged or processed at the site relating to my hours or pay. When I get home, I fill in the hours that I worked, mileage and drive time (if applicable), and any other special fees (parking garage, emergency, weekend, evening, holiday). I do this on an MS Excel form on my computer. Every two weeks I send that form as an attachment to an email to the interpreting company payroll department. It's their responsibility to bill the clients, and to pay me thru direct deposit.

When I work at the college, the procedure is the same. The only difference to that procedure was a few years ago the college required terps, instructors, and students to sign a roll sheet for each class. That lasted about one year, and then was dropped by the school. That attendance sheet showed only that the person was present, and it was for the school's use. It had nothing to do with our pay.

When I work "freelance" the client usually pays me directly by check.

I am new here...so sorry if I say something already mentioned. I know there are agencies that require the student's signature as well at college settings. I think the professor should be enough if a signature is required, but I have not had any problems with the students I worked with. Most of them are just happy the agency was able to send an interpreter.

As far as firing an interpreter, I believe there are a few Deaf clients that really do not understand the role of an interpreter. Please don't take this that I mean all. Many of the misunderstandings I have witnessed have come from students. While interpreting, I have been lucky to have knowledgeable Deaf adults about the role of the terp. For a few years, I worked mostly Deaf Services/Case Management and not much interpreting. While working in the Deaf Services field, I had many clients that were clueless about the interpreting process/terp role. Many of those clients felt they could "fire" any interpreter they wanted. They felt the interpreter had to respect them, but they did not have to give respect back. I had to set up several workshops on How to Use an Interpreter for my clients and hearing businesses as well. I had clients demand things outside the interpreter role, and then they got angry at that interpreter when they could not comply with something against their CPC's. I had several clients that would then try to bad mouth other interpreters. I explained the ADA specifies "qualified interpreter" and not favorite interpreter.

I have lived in several states. Most of the misunderstandings happen in states where the interpreting standards/knowledge of interpreters are not up to par with the rest of the country. Also, it is sad that there are interpreting agencies that are clueless on the interpreting business. These are agencies run by people who have not interpreted before or been "in the trenches". These so-called agencies will sometimes ignore interpreters and just side with Deaf clients and especially students (even hs age). It is hard enough to do your job, but even harder when a hs student dictates your job. As a Deaf advocate, I have seen this happen while advocating while someone else was interpreting. Some agencies, who don't have someone with previous interpreting experience in management, see dollar signs and nothing else. My heart did go out to these interpreters who went through this.

I am happy to say I switched back to interpreting from Deaf Services. It is something I enjoy much more. Sorry for the book.

Off topic. I am looking into possibly relocating to the DC or Colorado Springs area in the near future. I am curious if anyone is familiar what the pay is like for either area? If someone would like to inform me, but does not want to discuss it on the open forum, please let me know and I can give you my email. Thanks again.

Off topic. I am looking into possibly relocating to the DC or Colorado Springs area in the near future. I am curious if anyone is familiar what the pay is like for either area? If someone would like to inform me, but does not want to discuss it on the open forum, please let me know and I can give you my email. Thanks again.

I would say you should come to DC. We are quite possibly the biggest interpreting market in the country. You will get to work every single hour that you want to work here. Seriously, it's absolutely outstanding. DC is the place to be IMHO...professional development opportunities like crazy. I would also say DC probably has top pay around the country, people really understand the value of interpreters here. Come on out to DC!

(Oh, and I would say that you were perfectly on topic!)

Back