Interpreter Ethics

G

Gemtun

Lately, I have been seeing more interpreters and even interpreting agencies being unethical in this area.

For example, a person makes an appointment with a doctor and the office gets an interpreter set up for that. Then on the day of the appointment, the interpreter calls and cancels the apppointment due to being sick or whatnot. Sometimes it is because it didnt fit in her/his schedule. So she/he then reschedules the appointment, forcing that person to wait for next appointment with THAT interpreter.

I have never heard of an interpreter forcing a client to revolve around HER/HIS schedule. It is like if she/he is hogging all interpreting jobs for her/himself.

WHen it happened a few times, I have called the owner of interpreting agency and he simply said that he has a right to do this. :dunno:

It is my understanding that they have no right to do this and that if the interpreter cannot make the appointment, she should simply let the terping agency know and the agency has to find another interpreter so that the client doesnt have to reschedule appointment.

Is there a way I can file a complaint? I dont know if filing a complaint through RID would do anything. I really want to see that these interpreters be given a severe warning and know that it is purely unethical. :deal:

But I am not sure if I have a valid reason to file complaint against these interpreters. Is this unethical??

Interpreting is such a difficult job if you really try and stick to the Code of Ethics. Some rules must be broken in order for the translation to be clear. I've been translating for my entire life for many Deaf people, and I agree that the interpreter cannot set his own schedule - he must revolve around the schedule of his clients. When somebody chooses to become an interpreter, he gives up his organized schedule for one that is chaotic, random, and disorderly. Sometimes an interpreter may havea drastic emergency, but if they are sick, they should just get over it and show up (unless deathly ill).

If you want to file such a complaint, you must send one to the translating agency he belongs to (if he doesn't work on his own). There really is no way to make sure that people will be punished. They may have good reasons for what they are doing. This is the world, and you have to take it as it is. You can't really change much.

Gemtun said:
Lately, I have been seeing more interpreters and even interpreting agencies being unethical in this area.

For example, a person makes an appointment with a doctor and the office gets an interpreter set up for that. Then on the day of the appointment, the interpreter calls and cancels the apppointment due to being sick or whatnot. Sometimes it is because it didnt fit in her/his schedule. So she/he then reschedules the appointment, forcing that person to wait for next appointment with THAT interpreter.

I have never heard of an interpreter forcing a client to revolve around HER/HIS schedule. It is like if she/he is hogging all interpreting jobs for her/himself.

WHen it happened a few times, I have called the owner of interpreting agency and he simply said that he has a right to do this. :dunno:

It is my understanding that they have no right to do this and that if the interpreter cannot make the appointment, she should simply let the terping agency know and the agency has to find another interpreter so that the client doesnt have to reschedule appointment.

Is there a way I can file a complaint? I dont know if filing a complaint through RID would do anything. I really want to see that these interpreters be given a severe warning and know that it is purely unethical. :deal:

But I am not sure if I have a valid reason to file complaint against these interpreters. Is this unethical??

You can call State of Oregon Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to speak with coorndiator Interpreter Department. The interpreter NEVER be involve anything. *period*

I had this same situation before, I discussed with coordinator interpreter to resolve this situation.

Pluto said:
I
If you want to file such a complaint, you must send one to the translating agency he belongs to (if he doesn't work on his own). There really is no way to make sure that people will be punished. They may have good reasons for what they are doing. This is the world, and you have to take it as it is. You can't really change much.

But I did complain to the interpreting agency he/she belongs to, the owner simply said that it is fine and interpreters have a right to do this. This interpreter has done this to this client a few times and I feel it is unjustly - she wants ALL of this client's medical appointments for herself.

Kalista said:
You can call State of Oregon Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to speak with coorndiator Interpreter Department. The interpreter NEVER be involve anything. *period*

I had this same situation before, I discussed with coordinator interpreter to resolve this situation.

Thanks - will contact that agency and talk but that agency is State, this interpreting agency is private so I dont know how this would work.

Gemtun said:

To be honest, I'm not sure this falls under the category of ethics. It sounds to me like the agency has a really poor way of handling it when an interpreter can't make it to a job. I mean, it happens -- we get sick or emergencies come up, that's just life.

The owner of the agency says he has "a right" to handle this the way he wants, and unfortunately, that's probably true. But personally I'd change agencies (ask around and see what agencies other people are happy with) and send a letter explaining exactly why they've lost you as a client. It sounds like a terrible agency.

The agencies I am aware of around here will try like crazy to find another interpreter if the first one needs to cancel at the last minute. This place seems like it's badly run and possibly doesn't have enough interpreters to fill its clients' needs.

But technically, I don't think it's an ethical issue as far as RID defines "ethics." It sounds unfair and rude, but not along the lines of the interpreter telling her friends what happened at your doctor's appointment, or something. Having to cancel an appointment isn't unethical.

Interpretrator said:
To be honest, I'm not sure this falls under the category of ethics. It sounds to me like the agency has a really poor way of handling it when an interpreter can't make it to a job. I mean, it happens -- we get sick or emergencies come up, that's just life.

The owner of the agency says he has "a right" to handle this the way he wants, and unfortunately, that's probably true. But personally I'd change agencies (ask around and see what agencies other people are happy with) and send a letter explaining exactly why they've lost you as a client. It sounds like a terrible agency.

The agencies I am aware of around here will try like crazy to find another interpreter if the first one needs to cancel at the last minute. This place seems like it's badly run and possibly doesn't have enough interpreters to fill its clients' needs.

But technically, I don't think it's an ethical issue as far as RID defines "ethics." It sounds unfair and rude, but not along the lines of the interpreter telling her friends what happened at your doctor's appointment, or something. Having to cancel an appointment isn't unethical.
Pretty much what I thought, too, except Gemtun mentioned the interpreter seemed to want the appointment rescheduled for himself/herself ONLY; that is, don't reschedule for another terp thru the agency, but ONLY thru that particular terp. That doesn't seem kosher to me, if I'm understanding the situation correctly.

So she/he then reschedules the appointment, forcing that person to wait for next appointment with THAT interpreter. ..

Reba said:
that is, don't reschedule for another terp thru the agency, but ONLY thru that particular terp. That doesn't seem kosher to me, if I'm understanding the situation correctly.

Yeah, that is weird, I agree. Again I find it hard to classify under the Code of Ethics (I'm not quite up to date on the new version yet) but it seems more like a really unprofessional agency. I think there are ethical lines and then there are grey areas and it seems like this agency is operating in a pretty grey area. I wouldn't be comfortable with it as an interpreter, that's for sure; I wouldn't work for an agency that runs like this.

Screw those terps who play God!

Gemtun said:
But I did complain to the interpreting agency he/she belongs to, the owner simply said that it is fine and interpreters have a right to do this. This interpreter has done this to this client a few times and I feel it is unjustly - she wants ALL of this client's medical appointments for herself.
Interpreter does NOT have any right. He/She should call the agency to get replacement and keep the appointment. I would like to know where it happened. I knew it happened in Florida many times.....

It is UNETHICAL!!! shame on that interpreter! He/she should be banished.

It pisses me off how interpreters play God over Deaf community! :pissed:

The interpreter should contact the agency and have them send a back-up interpreter if he/she cannot make the scheduled appointment.

Deaf Images said:
He/she should be banished.

"Banished"? Like from the brotherhood of interpreters? The deaf community? The United States? Who is in charge of "banishing" people and from where?

If the agency owner says "this is the way the agency works," an interpreter who hasn't been through an ITP may simply not know any better. Don't jump to conclusions that the interpreter was trying to "play God." I definitely blame the owner for setting up this system but not all interpreters know how legitimate agencies operate (i.e. VamPyroX's procedure).

There are a couple of possible scenarios here.

1. The interpreter is going against company policy by rescheduling appointments without going thru the agency.

2. The interpreter is following company policy by rescheduling appointments without going thru the agency.

Since the owner of the agency seems to support the way the interpreter handled the appointment rescheduling, it seems #2 is the applicable scenario. In that case, the agency is at fault, not the interpreter.

The Deaf consumer can complain to the agency but apparently that doesn't carry any weight with the owner. Who has the power in this situation? The paying client. Until the people who actually pay for the terp services begin complaining, and taking their business elsewhere, there isn't much an individual Deaf consumer can do. The doctor needs to call the agency and complain about the service. That might bring results.

Agency owners understand the power of money.

Reba, as much as I agree with you and all, I still cannot fathom, if what Gemtun says is the case and I don't doubt what he/she said, being that Oregon's a "small market"....I cannot fathom that an interpreter or the agency owner would have in place a policy of forcing a client to reschedule an appointment on, apparently, personal whims.

Isn't it bad enough that, in a small market, there's a dearth of, not only the number of interpreters available, but also of interpreters who can meet the wide variety of sign systems that there are out there without having to resort to a policy the likes of which Gemtun's speaking?

Tousi said:
Reba, as much as I agree with you and all, I still cannot fathom, if what Gemtun says is the case and I don't doubt what he/she said, being that Oregon's a "small market"....I cannot fathom that an interpreter or the agency owner would have in place a policy of forcing a client to reschedule an appointment on, apparently, personal whims.
Maybe my word choice "policy" is not correct. I probably should say, "unwritten policy" or "accepted practice" or "unofficial policy". Basically, I meant, the "whatever the boss says, goes."

Isn't it bad enough that, in a small market, there's a dearth of, not only the number of interpreters available, but also of interpreters who can meet the wide variety of sign systems that there are out there without having to resort to a policy the likes of which Gemtun's speaking?
Sadly, that is the real world situation. There just aren't enough qualified terps available, for a variety of reasons. In some situations, that makes it a "sellers'" market rather than a "buyers'" market. (or, "provider" v. "consumer") That means, consumers are sometimes at the mercy of the providers, whether we like it or not.

Right, Reba but policy or "unwritten policy", the attitude's the same, isn't it?

Tousi said:
Right, Reba but policy or "unwritten policy", the attitude's the same, isn't it?
'Fraid so. :(

Gemtun said:

Hi, I knew it is very frustrating...I see myself too...what I do with my wife..our agreement and rule if an interpreter waste our time, we would go ahead and do different communication method, our family doctor is very sweet he respect our time to do writing on erasable board. Some doctor are very RUDE to them by say HURRY..sorry to say TOO BAD to them..qualify of service is most important...anyway back to point about interpreter, my suggestion if you feel interpreter cancelled or whatever..try to find alternative plan for communication method than to reschedule IF IF you are comfort. Interpreter CANNOT control our life and our schedule. If I was you I would go ahead and check with www.rid.org and find out what is going on. The intepreter are to respect and be immersed to become equal communication accessible for Deaf NOT to oppress our schedule do it make sense to you?

:) In general, Deaf people have every right to fill out complaint against agency or state office for inappropiate pattern of behavior by an interpreter. I had did it few time, it helped because I work as social worker require an interpreter with me on my each shift.

BigSpike said:
:) In general, Deaf people have every right to fill out complaint against agency or state office for inappropiate pattern of behavior by an interpreter.

For sure. The problem in this case is, Gemtun said the owner of the agency seemed to think it was fine for the interpreter to do what she did (i.e. she was following written or unwritten company policy).

However, it might be worth contacting a local chapter of RID, NAD, or any other deaf advocacy group in order to help make it known that people should not be patronizing this agency. Again, I wouldn't make any assumptions about the interpreter as she may well not know better if the owner thinks this kind of behavior is fine, but if he does, deaf people should know to stay away!

Interpretrator said:
For sure. The problem in this case is, Gemtun said the owner of the agency seemed to think it was fine for the interpreter to do what she did (i.e. she was following written or unwritten company policy).

However, it might be worth contacting a local chapter of RID, NAD, or any other deaf advocacy group in order to help make it known that people should not be patronizing this agency. Again, I wouldn't make any assumptions about the interpreter as she may well not know better if the owner thinks this kind of behavior is fine, but if he does, deaf people should know to stay away!

Yes I think you get your point! First chapter of RID if not working out then go to NAD...I knew NAD have wonderful resource with advocating deaf person when their right was violated...Kelby Brick is wonderful guy to check out...I knew him.

Back