I'm trying to gloss this song. ASL users, am I doing this right?

Raindrop

Reaction score
Oh I had a lot to say was thinking on my time away
MUCH WORD+SAY, I HAVE
I missed you and things weren't the same
CONNECT YOU+ME MISS. RELATIONSHIP SAME? NOT
Cause everything inside it never comes out right
ME FEEL INSIDE, SAY RIGHT? NEVER.

What is in bold is what I've glossed so far. Am I doing this right? I am very new to the ASL grammar structure.

Thanks!

Oh I had a lot to say was thinking on my time away
MUCH WORD+SAY, I HAVE
I missed you and things weren't the same
CONNECT YOU+ME MISS. RELATIONSHIP SAME? NOT
Cause everything inside it never comes out right
ME FEEL INSIDE, SAY RIGHT? NEVER.

What is in bold is what I've glossed so far. Am I doing this right? I am very new to the ASL grammar structure.

Thanks!

Go to the ASL class to learn how to sign so that you can learn how to sign in songs. Sorry.

I want to join ASL class, but there are none in my area. That's why I'm trying to learn on my own.

OP I can explain to you ! I can teach sign language :) you interesting sign language you don't mind teach help assistant to me

I can explain to you clear!

I want to join ASL class, but there are none in my area. That's why I'm trying to learn on my own.
My suggestion is don't even try to interpret songs until you have fluency in the language. If you had fluency in ASL, you'd be able to answer your own questions.

Most ITP's teach song interpretation as an upper level skill (if they teach it at all). It's usually taught as an interpreter workshop by people who specialize in performance interpreting and signing.

Even native signers who sign songs usually have training in theater and really work to hone their craft.

Then, there are the youtube wonders....

My suggestion is don't even try to interpret songs until you have fluency in the language. If you had fluency in ASL, you'd be able to answer your own questions.

Most ITP's teach song interpretation as an upper level skill (if they teach it at all). It's usually taught as an interpreter workshop by people who specialize in performance interpreting and signing.

Even native signers who sign songs usually have training in theater and really work to hone their craft.

I understand what you mean, but several times I've been told that trying to sign songs was a form of learning ASL.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Raindrop said:

I understand what you mean, but several times I've been told that trying to sign songs was a form of learning ASL.

Interesting. Who told you that?

I can help her!! I explain to clear her! I encourage to sign language I am glad of her
she clear understand,she slow sign language!

I can help explain to sign language!

I can help her!! I explain to clear her! I encourage to sign language I am glad of her
she clear understand,she slow sign language!

I can help explain to sign language!
Go for it! :D

A few interpreters that I've interacted with online (it was a couple years back). I guess looking back on it now it might not have been the most reliable information. I was just starting out and desperate to learn :lol:

Abby, don't feel bad. I learned sign by learning songs via an ASL dictionary. I later learned that the whole song thing isn't how me and my church group were doing it. The whole program was stupid, but if it wasn't for that program I would never have learned any sign at all. :)

I personally have attempted to sign songs, but never on camera (well, okay, once in the very suckish beginning), and I'd never put one on the net where someone could see it until I could even hold a candle to some of the fluent and/or native signers I've seen.

I found that attempting to learn songs during the two year hiatus in my ASL class/use helped to maintain my signing, but it didn't teach me anything new.

Wirelessly posted

Raindrop said:

I spent about 3months watching song videos & using them as sort of a resource because i had Nobody to practice with. But now that im in classes, I can see how different signs are. It did help a little but I cant say its a super learning tool when learning solo.

Back