Im hearing and going to gallaudet...help me sign please...

carebear89

Reaction score
Hi i live in florida and i am applying to Gallaudet University for the Interpreting program this fall. I have run into a little dilema and that is i recieved a dvd from the school i am supposed to interpret and shadow and so on and my level of signing is not as advanced as the video requires but im trying to follow my passion is there anybody that could help me with my signing?? if so please please let me know...i live in southwest florida and if i forgot to mention it i am hearing.

thank you to anyone who can help

Carrie

What I would do if I were you is to get into a signing class or learn online at lifeprint.com and also aslpro.com. Best of luck and Welcome to AD.

Hi i live in florida and i am applying to Gallaudet University for the Interpreting program this fall. I have run into a little dilema and that is i recieved a dvd from the school i am supposed to interpret and shadow and so on and my level of signing is not as advanced as the video requires but im trying to follow my passion is there anybody that could help me with my signing?? if so please please let me know...i live in southwest florida and if i forgot to mention it i am hearing.

thank you to anyone who can help

Carrie
Is that the DVD that gally sent it to you?

I was told by a staff when I visited gally two weeks ago that hearing people needs to take a test to ensure you are here to learn the interpreting program and/or deaf studies... They don't like people who attends just to be around deaf or to learn ASL, you know what I mean?

Good luck!

well yes its the dvd they sent me and i am trying so hard to understand i am in an asl class right now for intermediate sign but Dr. Collins the professor in one of the videos signs much to fast for me to comprehend. im not there to learn asl cuz i can do that anywhere. but they say the best way to understand someone and figure out the best techniques is to surround yourself with people you can learn from. So by going there i know it will be a valuable learning opportunity for me.

well yes its the dvd they sent me and i am trying so hard to understand i am in an asl class right now for intermediate sign but Dr. Collins the professor in one of the videos signs much to fast for me to comprehend. im not there to learn asl cuz i can do that anywhere. but they say the best way to understand someone and figure out the best techniques is to surround yourself with people you can learn from. So by going there i know it will be a valuable learning opportunity for me.
Advice from myself, keep watching over and over again - and you'll pick it up in no time.

Thank you! Hopefully your right. I gotta send in my interpretation to the dvd asap.

Well, that is the way you have to adjust or adapt to fast sign language like ASL. We always sign fast or sometime moderate to sign. If you are in the intermediate ASL class, then you need to work on into advance class to be able to understand what Dr. Collins said or any other Deaf signers said. We can not slow down, just because we are used to signing so fast. It is like hearing people talk too fast that we could not make out what they are saying, right? Just keep on signing in your class and process with your getting into Gallaudet University. Good luck.

Oh, :welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

i understand what you mean it wouldnt be right for you to have to slow down its just something i have to adapt to. But thank you for the encouragement, I will keep practicing and finish processing through the school.

Well, that is the way you have to adjust or adapt to fast sign language like ASL. We always sign fast or sometime moderate to sign. If you are in the intermediate ASL class, then you need to work on into advance class to be able to understand what Dr. Collins said or any other Deaf signers said. We can not slow down, just because we are used to signing so fast. It is like hearing people talk too fast that we could not make out what they are saying, right? Just keep on signing in your class and process with your getting into Gallaudet University. Good luck.

Oh, :welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:
Yep, just like myself when I was in america, I was able to pick up signs while it was fast, sometimes I had to ask to slow down, it is rare for me to pick otherwise something that I learnt during my stay in America

Welcome :wave: Are you entering Gallaudet as an undergraduate? I wanted to go to Gallaudet.

A word of advice too as well, you do need to be prepared for your professors, your peers and the community at Gallaudet.

It's going to be a cultural shock for you. I would arrive a month or two earlier to pace myself to adjust & acquaint myself with the community before the semester starts. It would work in your favour doing this.

I agree with mrs bucket that it is a good idea to arrive there at a month earlier or two to adjust with the environment and get familiar anywhere in DC right before you start classes. Good luck.

What I would do if I were you is to get into a signing class or learn online at lifeprint.com and also aslpro.com. Best of luck and Welcome to AD.

RD, while that is normally the thing to do, most folks, "on the eve of entering an Interpreting program" are usually manually skilled.

RD, while that is normally the thing to do, most folks, "on the eve of entering an Interpreting program" are usually manually skilled.
I was thinking the same thing. If it were me I would have been prepared long time ago.

awww I do not know if gally do offer just two to three weeks just simple courses???

I haven't even gotten into my local ITP yet, and I am already trying to plan ahead.
When I finally graduate from Suffolk County Community College I will only have an AAS. I want to at least have a bachelors. And that would mean I'd have to go to RIT/NTID or Gallaudet. Both are very far for me. Lot's of personal decisions do deal with.

LOL or was the question to the OP. :Oops:

Back