Illusion of Terrorism

It is.

And I'm sure many are in agreement with the next statment that Homeland Security is a farce.

oh yes - a huge farce and a money pit. so is I.C.E. I'd like to see it dismantled on next administration and have the budget allocated to each agency to improve its infrastructure.

SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map

Courtesy of the Southern Poverty Law Center which has a map of hate/extremist groups in the U.S. that have been known to carry out terrorist attacks against a group of people.

Sad to see Washington state has 20 of these groups.... :(

Gosh....my state (PA) has 33!!!

Actually, in my "part of the woods" is where the Freeman brothers were from and a big White Supremacist group had their compound (down the road from me). Talk about terrorism. And they're gone. But there are lots to take their place.

Courtesy of the Southern Poverty Law Center which has a map of hate/extremist groups in the U.S. that have been known to carry out terrorist attacks against a group of people.

67 in texas and I see one of the groups listed I know very well heck i see a couple of these guys on the weekends

Correction:

According to the SPL Center, this is what the map includes:

"The Southern Poverty Law Center counted 888 active hate groups in the United States in 2007. Only organizations and their chapters known to be active during 2007 are included.

All hate groups have beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.

This list was compiled using hate group publications and websites, citizen and law enforcement reports, field sources and news reports.

Hate group activities can include criminal acts, marches, rallies, speeches, meetings, leafleting or publishing. Websites appearing to be merely the work of a single individual, rather than the publication of a group, are not included in this list. Listing here does not imply a group advocates or engages in violence or other criminal activity."

They are "hate" groups, not necessarily "terrorist" groups.

... Don't forget that we terrorized them first before they terrorized us.
Would you care to elaborate on that statement? Who is the "them" that we supposedly terrorized before "they" terrorized us?

Correction:

According to the SPL Center, this is what the map includes:

"The Southern Poverty Law Center counted 888 active hate groups in the United States in 2007. Only organizations and their chapters known to be active during 2007 are included.

All hate groups have beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.

This list was compiled using hate group publications and websites, citizen and law enforcement reports, field sources and news reports.

Hate group activities can include criminal acts, marches, rallies, speeches, meetings, leafleting or publishing. Websites appearing to be merely the work of a single individual, rather than the publication of a group, are not included in this list. Listing here does not imply a group advocates or engages in violence or other criminal activity."

They are "hate" groups, not necessarily "terrorist" groups.

I was waiting for you.....:lol:

What may be a "hate" group for one group of people but a "terrorist" group for others.

I was waiting for you.....:lol:

What may be a "hate" group for one group of people but a "terrorist" group for others.

Yerp. It depends on whether you are the hater or the hated. And terrorism isn't always blatant.

I subscribe to one firm opinion on terrorism, especially in the US- we bring it upon ourselves. Using the example of 911- a horrible crime, and for every victim and their families... but stop to think!

TODAY, and today alone, about 438 people died of lung cancer in the US. Depending on the patient's status, rates for liver transplantation are as low as 6.5 percent of all candidates. Take a moment to consider that dire number in itself. Of the 16,223 patients currently waiting for a liver, 2,457 are candidates because of alcoholic cirrhosis. 797 of those are between 18 and 34 years old- these people, along with other solid organ transplants, make up the 99,418 people currently waiting in the US for an organ- nearly 12,000 of them being under 34. In 2001, 8,998 people died from AIDS in the us alone. To compensate for those deaths, 24,856 new cases were diagnosed- that's AIDS alone, folks, not HIV. Where is the terror?

Why aren't we jumping in front of the REAL threats- your mother smoking, your son sneaking out to party and drink, your daughter not knowing better and having sex without condoms? Why are we not putting people who don't fill out donor cards or put on stickers or share their wishes to donate on the news? Where is the terror? A pack of cigarettes is immensely more likely to kill me than a terror act... but I can still take a pack of marlboros into the airport!

Terrorism only works if the population being targeted gives in. And we, folks, we cower like two year olds and hide behind security measures at the price of personal liberty... all while turning a blind eye to the REAL threats, the ones that can't be stopped with fluid restrictions at airports. We make terrorism work, at the price of putting our efforts into a false 'sense of security' and the willful ignorance regarding what is really attacking Americans.

Gosh....my state (PA) has 33!!!

Actually, in my "part of the woods" is where the Freeman brothers were from and a big White Supremacist group had their compound (down the road from me). Talk about terrorism. And they're gone. But there are lots to take their place.

When I was living in Pennsylvania, there was quite a bit of discussion about the breeding ground for Neo-Nazism there. The ultimate conclusion was, being within the Rust Belt, poverty and lack of jobs usually leads to hate (just like the Nazis did in Germany). When all are well-fed and the ability to provide, there is, usually, no reason for anger.

It is easier to hate than to strive for betterment.

When I was living in Pennsylvania, there was quite a bit of discussion about the breeding ground for Neo-Nazism there. The ultimate conclusion was, being within the Rust Belt, poverty and lack of jobs usually leads to hate (just like the Nazis did in Germany). When all are well-fed and the ability to provide, there is, usually, no reason for anger.

It is easier to hate than to strive for betterment.

:gpost: well said!! I suppose it's safe to say that our budget should be shifted toward to economy rather than futile crime fighting (like drug war) - to shift the mentality to "Why risk your life selling drugs when you can make more at work?"

Increase the minimum wage... fix this tax system where poor/lower-middle class families pay less tax, etc.

Would you care to elaborate on that statement? Who is the "them" that we supposedly terrorized before "they" terrorized us?

Them as in people in foreign nations - usually poor nations where they largely depend on USA corporations for jobs (typically manufacturing and power/oil companies).

Them as in people in foreign nations - usually poor nations where they largely depend on USA corporations for jobs (typically manufacturing and power/oil companies).
Do you have a specific example of the US terrorizing one of these nations as causal to "them" attacking us with terrorist acts?

Originally Posted by Wokamuka

It is easier to hate than to strive for betterment

:gpost: well said!! I suppose it's safe to say that our budget should be shifted toward to economy rather than futile crime fighting (like drug war) - to shift the mentality to "Why risk your life selling drugs when you can make more at work?"

Increase the minimum wage... fix this tax system where poor/lower-middle class families pay less tax, etc.

:gpost: Well said!!!

Interesting thread... It's good to read some good points here...

Terrorist Threat: To Panic or not to Panic?
Terrorist Threat: To Panic or not to Panic? | Germany | Deutsche Welle | 08.02.2008
well it is your choice as a German citizen to either give up your freedom for security or not. If you don't mind having 100000 cameras on every blocks, having soldier/police on each block, carrying a visible ID.... the Orwellian Society, then by all means - live like that.

but we Americans choose to move on and keep on moving on without sacrificing our freedom and rights (even though Bush trampled on it).

Would you doubt or take his word serious?

German Intelligence Chief: Bin Laden Won't Plan More Attacks

German Intelligence Chief: Bin Laden Won't Plan More Attacks | Germany | Deutsche Welle | 04.08.2008

eh :dunno: I don't really care anyway. His word is no different from politicians' words.

well it is your choice as a German citizen to either give up your freedom for security or not. If you don't mind having 100000 cameras on every blocks, having soldier/police on each block, carrying a visible ID.... the Orwellian Society, then by all means - live like that.

No, I only show the article to ask you what you think of this because terrorists are everywhere in the world, not just Germany and America either we are panic or not. To me, I don´t act paraniod but think positive...

but we Americans choose to move on and keep on moving on without sacrificing our freedom and rights (even though Bush trampled on it).

I has to honest with you... The US Army base where I work, do have terrorist control. We must show our ID and our vehicle # to US security before go in. Its protection from terrorists. Before 9/11, we do not need to show ID and vehicle #... After 9/11 - high restriction... I flied to America last year... wow - very high restriction in US security. They almost won´t let me go in.

eh :dunno: I don't really care anyway. His word is no different from politicians' words.

That´s why I ask a question to relate your thread here. I personally don´t care but positive something than being paraniod all the time.

I would be more concerned with sleeper cells as they can strike in unimagineable ways at anytime. I'm sure the US govt has intel tabs on these groups. I mean, since when does a religion require the entire world to be Muslim or die? Doesn't sound like a proposition for coexisting peace!

Back