If a CI person has an heart attack....

I think the question is moot since it's a matter of staying alive or dying. I could care less about my CIs and pick the former.

Not really, because if, as I suspect, the use of a heart defibillator (sp) has no effect on a cochlear implant, then you never have to make that choice.

Although everyone beat this answer to death; I will confirm that Defibrilators will not cause damage to a CI. Even using a defibrillator to cardiovert a patient (using the defib at a specifically synchronized shock to normalize some types of arrythmias) Neither will any pacemaker components or stimulation by arrythmias cause any dysfunction to a CI.

Although everyone beat this answer to death; I will confirm that Defibrilators will not cause damage to a CI. Even using a defibrillator to cardiovert a patient (using the defib at a specifically synchronized shock to normalize some types of arrythmias) Neither will any pacemaker components or stimulation by arrythmias cause any dysfunction to a CI.

Doug,

Do you know if the same thing is true for ECT treatments? My psychiatrist recommended that I have ECT, but my CI surgeon told me not to due to my cochlear implants. Since electrodes are placed on the forehead and seizure activity only takes place for 2-3 minutes, is there any risk to the CI?

Not really, because if, as I suspect, the use of a heart defibillator (sp) has no effect on a cochlear implant, then you never have to make that choice.

Neither do you have to make that choice if you value life over death.

I do remember reading a study on CI users who were de-fibbed and no harm was found for the CI or the person.

hearagain, ECT is totally different from defib and the ECT CAN pose dangers to CI since it's closer to your implant and it can "fry" your implant. I believe it's included in CI manfucaturers prescribing info - no ECT's should be used.

hearagain, ECT is totally different from defib and the ECT CAN pose dangers to CI since it's closer to your implant and it can "fry" your implant. I believe it's included in CI manfucaturers prescribing info - no ECT's should be used.

Actually, it's not listed on the card Cochlear gave me which is why I asked the question.

ET,

ECT stands for electroconvulsive therapy. It involves placing electrodes on the forehead and administering a small shock that lasts for 2-3 minutes to treat med-resistent depression or bipolar.

Thanks Lisa.
This is a quote from my "warnings and precautions" paperwork that came with my CI:
Do not use electroconclusive therapy on a cochlear implant patient under any circumstances.
electroconclusive therapy may cause tissue damage to the cochlea or damage to the cochlear implant.

What paperwork is that, ET? Are you referring to the small ID card that Cochlear gave us? I obviously can't read the card, so I don't know what it says.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about possible consequences of ECT. etalton's manufacturer's explanation helped educate me on that one. Its good to know that. I am not very expertise with ECT and areas of mental health; only the drugs within mental health. :ty:

Thanks Lisa.
This is a quote from my "warnings and precautions" paperwork that came with my CI:
Do not use electroconclusive therapy on a cochlear implant patient under any circumstances.
electroconclusive therapy may cause tissue damage to the cochlea or damage to the cochlear implant.

Hear again, it was A4 folded white sheet that came in the CI box. I have one (actually two as ci centre gave me another one when i asked for german ID card) it lists of do's and don'ts, warnings and precautions. There is nothing on about using Defibs.

I heard that your head would explode if they were to use the paddles on you while you had CIs. :dunno:

I could be wrong. ;)

wow that is surprised i understand about concern about really caerful cochlear don't be exploded I don't know what is exactly make sure question to you understand that is help you

Hear again, it was A4 folded white sheet that came in the CI box. I have one (actually two as ci centre gave me another one when i asked for german ID card) it lists of do's and don'ts, warnings and precautions. There is nothing on about using Defibs.

I had my neighbor read my patient ID card and information about ECT is listed on there. I was unaware of that since I can't read the card.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about possible consequences of ECT. etalton's manufacturer's explanation helped educate me on that one. Its good to know that. I am not very expertise with ECT and areas of mental health; only the drugs within mental health. :ty:

No problem, Doug. Thanks for your reply. :)

Back