If a CI person has an heart attack....

DeafMomof3

Reaction score
Can't use "jump start" with electric shock paddle? I am not sure what it called but is it true? Either yes or no, please include the fact from website or possible someone who has CI and already experience with heart attack situation.

I don't know the answer to this question, but I *think* the answer is no given the electroshock that is administered when using a defibrillator. I know when it comes to ECT (electroconvulsive therapy), people with CIs can't have this procedure done due to electrical stimulation. (I know this because my psychiatrist wanted me to have ECT, but my CI surgeon said I can't because of my CIs.) This would be a good question to ask your CI surgeon.

Think about it logically. What will it do? Ruin the CI? Better alive and deaf than dead with a perfectly preserved CI.

Think about it logically. What will it do? Ruin the CI? Better alive and deaf than dead with a perfectly preserved CI.

Agreed. De-fib is only used if one's heart has stopped beating. Not using de-fib is a death sentence.

I don't think the defrib will affect it much because it gives a shock to the heart only and the chest is far away from the head. There has got to be some people with pacemakers, rods in their legs/arms etc that has been exposed to Defib stuff.

Well isn't it said that if u get a shock that it could wipe your MAP? So maybe since the de-fib is around your heart depending on what voltage it will only wipe your map and not effect the actual hardware.

I'd bet nothing would happen to the CI program on the external processor. The internal processor may get the memory erased but I think all the internal processor does it process the signals the external processor gives. The heart is the external processor and is replaceable.

I'd say that the paddles are positive and negative. The electrical current travels from one paddel to the other thus making a complete circuit. There would really be no reason the electrical current would travel to the head unless someone put the electrical paddle on the head. If so, maybe it is no more current discharge than a normal electrical shock would be and I get shocked a lot getting off the couch and touching my child, wife, cat, dog, wall switch, etc and I can still hear fine.

I've also experienced what I thought was static electricity discharge through the coil when I was wearing my XM recorder/Ipod listening to it with a PA Cable with the device in my pocket of my jacket. Interesting feeling, nothing happened, could still hear fine, everything functioned the same. No problem.

I'm not the expert in the field and may have how this works totally misunderstood but like others have said, I'd rather have them use the shock paddles instead of leave me for dead.

hmmm good question..... I rather have the person have "Jump Start" on me if I had heart attack or if my heart has stopped beating. I want to be alive...so I rather be totally deaf and alive instead of being dead with unharmed CI.

I've been told by my dad that we people that have CI can't go through MRI if the doctors need to scan our brain. He said that it would tear the magnet out of my head if I go into MRI.... Is that true? Would that really happen?

with the MRI, the magnet can be removed from the internal implant, then the person can get MRI scans done, and a new magnet would be put back in after the scan. Cochlear and AB both have removable magnets. I'm not sure about Med-El.

hmmm good question..... I rather have the person have "Jump Start" on me if I had heart attack or if my heart has stopped beating. I want to be alive...so I rather be totally deaf and alive instead of being dead with unharmed CI.

I've been told by my dad that we people that have CI can't go through MRI if the doctors need to scan our brain. He said that it would tear the magnet out of my head if I go into MRI.... Is that true? Would that really happen?

There is a chance, yes, that is why it is important to wear medic alert bracelet, id, etc. They can then make an incision and take out the magnet to do MRI. Some brands of CI can withstand low power MRI. Best to check with the website of CI brand and/or CI surgeon/audi for exact info for brand implanted.

Who cares if the CI gets ruined, what good is CI if you die? As for MRI the magnet must be surgically removed then surgically reinserted. That's another factor people should research in deciding to get CI. An internal speech processor would solve this problem since no magnet will be needed. It's currently in clinical trials and for those who can wait 3-5 years, good.

Just make things easier for yourselves and watch the bacon consumption. :thumb:

Hi Everyone..

I think I didn't make it clear first place. When CI person have an heart attack and if did use shock paddle will explode the CI that kills him/her?

If CI wont explode when use shock paddle at all but just cause CI damage then I wouldn't worry about it.

Just need to know if shock paddle will cause CI explode that kills you.

Let me know.

I realize I probably didn't say if I use CI or not, I am not using CI but my husband is. He is very happy with CI compared to digital hearing aids. I still use digital hearing aids sometimes. I was thinking about having CI but later on just faded away meaning I didn't really want it badly. So I just let it go. What's more, my husband was forced to retire and got full pension and benefits. But few weeks ago, we learned that the medical insurance will cut off on April 1st sooo guess too late for me but I don't mind. My husband need it more than I do though. :)

Who cares if the CI gets ruined, what good is CI if you die? As for MRI the magnet must be surgically removed then surgically reinserted. That's another factor people should research in deciding to get CI. An internal speech processor would solve this problem since no magnet will be needed. It's currently in clinical trials and for those who can wait 3-5 years, good.

The "surgery" necessary to remove the CI magnet is very simple and only takes 15 minutes. The surgeon makes a small incision where the magnet is located, removes the magnet, inserts a new magnet and stitches up the incision. Not a big deal. Besides, most doctors use CT scans instead of MRIs, so this isn't as much of a consideration like it once was in the past.

CI can be replaced, dead heart can't....

Rather have working ticker than damaged CI.

Current goes from one paddle to another paddle ..

So no it most likely not going to harm CI since the current never goes anywhere else in your body but from paddle to paddle.

There this one shock treatment I forgot what it called something about shocking blood vessel and a CI doctor told me that if any CI user need that treatment that they need to be carefully hooked up that the current will not go past the treated area or anywhere near the CI so medicial devices seem to be designed to only limit current to a specific area of the body.

I have never heard from any ci manufacturer, doctor, audiologist or anyone who has a ci that you cannot use a defibrillator(sp) if you have a ci. However, its a good question and I suggest that since each manufacturer has a website, go there ask the question and please come back here with the answer you receive.
Thanks,
Rick

I think the question is moot since it's a matter of staying alive or dying. I could care less about my CIs and pick the former.

Back