I went to the Deafnation Expo in Greensboro,NC and I left immediately

wwefan007

Reaction score
I was in shock and awe at how many people were just very open signing and everything. Everybody was using sign lanuage and I got very uncomfortable. Here I am,hoping to meet a woman or a person for a friend and I'm already wanting to leave. I told my mother I wanted to go out already. We looked around for about 10 minutes and I left without saying one word to a deaf person out there. I had high hopes but I have social phobia and I haven't been around deaf people in like since my preschool years. See, I was raised through mainstream public school. I thought I was going to be very comfortable in a deaf sitting but I thought wrong. Jeez,will I ever find someone I like and understands my disability? I'm a good sense-of-humor personality person,people tells me.:roll::dunno::dunno:

EDIT: I'm currently in community college but wanted to go to Gallaudet University but too expensive. I was accepted but turned it down due to fiancial costs. Don't get me started with FAFSA. They didn't give me one cent in the 2007-2008 year. For a intelligent,hard-working deaf person,I don't get much fiancial aid for college so I pay my way through in CC.

U obviously experienced culture shock.

Iam a deaf signer and I feel more comfortable in a signing environment than I do in a non signing enviornment. We r humans just like everyone else..not freaks.

lol yeah,I get you. I was raised much of my life in a hearing setting so I was just shocked to see that many deaf people.

hey in there, man. Few months ago, I was invited to go to DPHH (Deaf Professionals Happy Hour). I was bit nervous about how it's going to work out for me because I didn't know ASL. But I went anyway and I had a really good time. You know what's funny? Despite of not knowing ASL, I actually understand the conversation in group setting MUCH BETTER than with hearing group!!

Since then..... I took ASL classes at community college and my ASL skill is getting better and better but a still long way to go :cool2: Going to deaf convention can be quite intimidating & overwhelming and I can imagine that. You should start small such as deaf night at bar or coffee shop.. and it does really help to know one deaf friend. Either way - you should go to those small event and start from there.... easy way to make friend!

btw - I know it's a dumb question but I just want to make sure - are you ASL fluent?

I recently attended DeafExpo near my home. I am not very fluent in ASL. I was impressed with the many new technologies for Deaf/HOH. I met Matt Hamill. I also met a deaf body model, Lori Hilary. :bowlol: I still enjoyed the expo. I think it is great to see all the locals under one roof.

I recently attended DeafExpo near my home. I am not very fluent in ASL. I was impressed with the many new technologies for Deaf/HOH. I met Matt Hamill. I also met a deaf body model, Lori Hilary. :bowlol: I still enjoyed the expo. I think it is great to see all the locals under one roof.

I just google Lori Hilary and I like what I see :naughty:

Should take the small step from have deaf group who you may know. Build to mature your experience as thing flow better.

lol, what did you expect? And going to Gallaudet would only have merited the same response more than likely just so you know....

lol, what did you expect? And going to Gallaudet would only have merited the same response more than likely just so you know....

damn. that's a very good point you raised!

+10

Yeah, culture shock!...When I lost my hearing, I had to attend a deaf school...I'd never seen or been around deaf people before! Knew no ASL or signing...

Only a handful of people, (supervisors, etc.) were hearing...and when I was taken to my dorm room, all the students were crowded around to "welcome" the new girl!...I was scared out of my wits!...Got into the bed, pulled the covers over and would not come out for 2 days!

I finally came around!....Learned the alphabet and a few signs to get by!. Most all my teachers were hearing, so I could lip-read.

where at in NC are you? NC School for the Deaf is near Hickory there has to be some socials or something around there?

You should start small such as deaf night at bar or coffee shop.. and it does really help to know one deaf friend. Either way - you should go to those small event and start from there.... easy way to make friend!

That is a splendid advice.

Culture Shock is one thing but in time, when getting there - it is best to do it in a small setting. From there, one could progress quickly to get into the bigger setting so that way the shock will be able to wear out.

Either way, I hope wwefan007 will not let that deter him from going to any future deaf events. Hang in there and it also takes time. :)

lol yeah,I get you. I was raised much of my life in a hearing setting so I was just shocked to see that many deaf people.

Sorry about my post..I was posting from my pager..I meant to say we arent freaks and wont bite ya! :lol:

Back