I went to the Deafnation Expo in Greensboro,NC and I left immediately

Well it is the deaf expo so...of course there will be ALOT of deaf people with sign language there.

getting back to the OP...

I was like you, went to regular schools, and didn't experience deaf people or signing very much till I went to Gallaudet. Yes, it's a culture shock, but I decided to plunge into it, like diving into a pool instead of dipping a toe in. I consider myself shy, but I really wanted to learn and belong to a community of people like me. Yes, I made mistakes. Yes, I was awkward. Yes, I experienced rudeness and rejection. But I kept at it and was happy I made the effort. Just have to get the "I don't belong here" thing out of your head. :)

getting back to the OP...

I was like you, went to regular schools, and didn't experience deaf people or signing very much till I went to Gallaudet. Yes, it's a culture shock, but I decided to plunge into it, like diving into a pool instead of dipping a toe in. I consider myself shy, but I really wanted to learn and belong to a community of people like me. Yes, I made mistakes. Yes, I was awkward. Yes, I experienced rudeness and rejection. But I kept at it and was happy I made the effort. Just have to get the "I don't belong here" thing out of your head. :)

My experience was exactly the same when I enrolled at Gallaudet. Same thing as u did, I refused to let rejection and rudeness keep me from having the right to belong to a community.

. . . EDIT: I'm currently in community college but wanted to go to Gallaudet University but too expensive. I was accepted but turned it down due to fiancial costs. Don't get me started with FAFSA. They didn't give me one cent in the 2007-2008 year. For a intelligent,hard-working deaf person, I don't get much financial aid for college so I pay my way through in CC.

Okay, sorry about the edit, but this is what I want to address. Obviously, you need to find out how to beat the system. You don't say how old you are, but, if you're living at home with parents (nothing wrong with that, by the way), go down to your local post office and get a small mail box. Start using it for ALL your mail . . . letters from friends and family, magazines, bills . . . EVERYTHING!! Make sure you have that postcard signed by you that all mail that comes to your home goes to your mailbox only and only your name. Sign it and send it in. If you have a car, get the street address of the post office and use it, with your po box number for your car registration, driver's license. Taxes and payroll, use that box! Declare independence and NOT list your parents income on FAFSA. I'm gonna assume you're at least 18 years old, so you need to state on school forms that you're an independent student. You are an independent student and need loans for school. You have an unlimited amount right now. Are you connected with Vocational Rehab in your state? If not, why not? Make the buggers pay for your schooling and books.

Now, after you do all that, go to your school's website and change your personal information to list your po box address. Grades and statements of account should go to your box address, not residence. List your phone number on your info if you do that (I don't) and make sure no one knows you're living at parents or where you live. No one's business and you need to beat the system.

I'm not sure but do FAFSA and such accepts PO Box address??

that's what I thought so. looks like pek1's advice won't work..... :doh:

Not only that, but Pek is recommending that this poster commit fraud. Any significant changes on the FAFSA will throw up a red flag. They will ask for all kinds of verification if they think you are being dishonest on the application. And if you get caught comitting fraud on a FAFSA, you will never be able to get financial aid, even if your circumstances change and you qualify. Not to mention which, it is a Federal crime to lie on a FAFSA, and you could very well be prosecuted.

Not only that, but Pek is recommending that this poster commit fraud. Any significant changes on the FAFSA will throw up a red flag. They will ask for all kinds of verification if they think you are being dishonest on the application. And if you get caught comitting fraud on a FAFSA, you will never be able to get financial aid, even if your circumstances change and you qualify. Not to mention which, it is a Federal crime to lie on a FAFSA, and you could very well be prosecuted.

Correct me if I'm wrong - you can claim yourself as Independent even if you live with the parents (assuming you're of legal age).

Back