I need your help with school needs to provide deaf parents with interpreter...

kcrocker

Reaction score
I am at loss at this issue. I would appreicate that you can help me with this. What really happened in general is that often we the deaf parents would ask for an interpreter for any activites at school (school plays, parent/teacher meeting, etc.. you name it..) We often would get nasty atittude and heavy sighs on other end of line like it is a huge problem for them. They even would tell us that they don't have any money for an interpreter. After a small arugment, they would hire one and tell us we are very lucky to have intepreter being hired despite their "money problems".
I have wrote a letter to School district Superintendent to discuss on this issues. His attitude towards to us is " I was former Galludet professor for undergradate and I know what I am doing" attitude. Of course, he is hearing. I am not trying to degrade him at all but trying to point things out on what is going on in the school office and their attitude towards to deaf parents of hearing children. I was hoping that he can point it out to his office people to stop those kind of atttitude and its law to hire one.They arleady are making us feeling guilty to ask for one when we need one. They are acting like they are doing us a favor to hire an interpreter instead of acting according to Federal Law of ADA.
I just wanted to hear from you deaf parents or advocate of ILC on how they solved those similar issue or they did it to solve this issue.
Thank you...

kcrocker said:
I am at loss at this issue. I would appreicate that you can help me with this. What really happened in general is that often we the deaf parents would ask for an interpreter for any activites at school (school plays, parent/teacher meeting, etc.. you name it..) We often would get nasty atittude and heavy sighs on other end of line like it is a huge problem for them. They even would tell us that they don't have any money for an interpreter. After a small arugment, they would hire one and tell us we are very lucky to have intepreter being hired despite their "money problems".
I have wrote a letter to School district Superintendent to discuss on this issues. His attitude towards to us is " I was former Galludet professor for undergradate and I know what I am doing" attitude. Of course, he is hearing. I am not trying to degrade him at all but trying to point things out on what is going on in the school office and their attitude towards to deaf parents of hearing children. I was hoping that he can point it out to his office people to stop those kind of atttitude and its law to hire one.They arleady are making us feeling guilty to ask for one when we need one. They are acting like they are doing us a favor to hire an interpreter instead of acting according to Federal Law of ADA.
I just wanted to hear from you deaf parents or advocate of ILC on how they solved those similar issue or they did it to solve this issue.
Thank you...

Mill Neck Manor School for the Deaf (MNMSD)
Mark R. Prowatzke, Ph.D.
frostmill@aol.com
www.millneck.org

Public Schools
To refer others to this page, please use:
http://www.nad.org/publicschools

This memorandum addresses the obligations of a public school system under Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Deaf or hard of hearing students, parents and others are entitled to a physically accessible facility and to services including qualified sign language interpreters when they need accommodations to have meaningful access to school activities. The ADA and Section 504 apply to all programs and activities offered by a school system, including school board meetings, extracurricular programs, teacher conferences, recreational activities, social and cultural activities, adult education, summer school or hobby classes.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. §794, requires programs which receive federal financial assistance to provide interpreters or other auxiliary aids to people with disabilities when necessary to give them equal access to the program. See also 34 C.F.R. §§104.4 and 104.21. Public school systems receive substantial federal financial assistance, so this law applies to them. Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), 42 U.S.C. 12101-12213, requires comparable access by all state and local government programs, regardless of whether or not the programs get federal assistance.

A separate federal law, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), also affects children with disabilities. This law requires public school systems to provide a "free, appropriate public education" to children who need specialized services because of a disability. It establishes a procedure for developing an individual education program (IEP) and identifying needed support services for individual children. Although this is the principal law which determines the special educational services children will receive from a school system, Section 504 and the ADA provide additional protection, especially in the context of architectural accessibility, extracurricular activities, summer programs and services for parents and other individuals with disabilities.

The U.S. Department of Justice has promulgated regulations to implement Title II of the ADA, which applies to activities of public entities such as school systems. 28 C.F.R. Part 35. The accompanying Analysis specifically addresses the question of duties of school systems to provide accessibility to parents with disabilities:

Some commenters asked for clarification about the responsibilities of public school systems under section 504 and the ADA with respect to programs, services and activities that are not covered by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), including, for example, programs open to parents or to the public, graduation ceremonies, parent-teacher organization meetings, plays and other events open to the public, and adult education classes. Public school systems must comply with the ADA in all of their services, programs, or activities, including those that are open to parents or to the public. For instance, public school systems must provide program accessibility to parents and guardians with disabilities to these programs, activities, or services, and appropriate auxiliary aids and services whenever necessary to ensure effective communication, as long as the provision of the auxiliary aid results neither in an undue burden or in a fundamental alteration of the program.
56 Fed. Reg. 35696 (July 26, 1991).

The Title II regulations specifically address the obligation of a school board or other public entity to remove communication barriers for deaf individuals:

(a) A public entity shall take appropriate steps to ensure that communications with applicants, participants, and members of the public with disabilities are as effective as communications with others.
(b)(1) A public entity shall furnish appropriate auxiliary aids and services where necessary to afford an individual with a disability an equal opportunity to participate in, and enjoy the benefits of, a service, program, or activity conducted by a public entity.
(2) In determining what type of auxiliary aid and service is necessary, a public entity shall give primary consideration to the requests of the individual with disabilities.
28 C.F.R. §35.160. The regulation defines "auxiliary aids and services" to include:

Qualified interpreters, note takers, transcription services, written materials, telephone handset amplifiers, assistive listening devices, assistive listening systems, telephones compatible with hearing aids, closed caption decoders, open and closed captioning, telecommunications devices for deaf persons [TTYs], videotext displays, or other effective methods of making aurally delivered materials available to individuals with hearing impairments; . . . and . . . other similar services and actions.
28 C.F.R. §35.104.

The appropriate auxiliary aid depends on the context of the communication and the needs of the individual with disabilities. For example, in a school auditorium or a school board meeting, some deaf people may need a sign language interpreter to follow and participate in the proceedings. Other people with hearing impairments do not use sign language. They may need a computer-assisted transcript or an assistive listening system (e.g., a loop system or an FM or infrared amplification system) in order to understand and participate in the same activity. If the school has videotapes or films, or if it broadcasts on cable television, captioning may be the most appropriate way to give access to deaf viewers.

In order to make sure a deaf individual is alerted to a fire or other emergency, a school system should install visual (flashing) fire alarms in areas used by deaf individuals. Examples of accommodations for deaf persons include visible fire alarm systems, amplification systems that are compatible with hearing aids, entry systems that do not depend on ability to use an intercom or respond to a buzzer or other auditory device.

A telecommunication device for deaf persons (TTY) may be necessary, so that the school and parent can communicate directly about illnesses, schedules, discipline of a child and other problems.

The primary concern is whether or not the auxiliary aid or service is effective to make the spoken information available and to give the person with impaired hearing an opportunity to participate effectively. When there is a disagreement or uncertainty about the appropriate auxiliary aid, the regulations require the public agency to give "primary consideration" to the requests of the individual with disabilities. In analysis of this regulation, the Justice Department states:

. . . The public entity shall honor the choice [of the deaf individual for a particular auxiliary aid] unless it can demonstrate that another effective means of communication exists or that use of the means chosen would not be required under §35.164. Deference to the request of the individual with a disability is desirable because of the range of disabilities, the variety of auxiliary aids and services, and different circumstances requiring effective communication.
56 Fed. Reg. 35711-12 (July 26, 1991).

A federal court has ruled that school systems must provide interpreters when deaf parents meet with teachers or attend school programs such as orientation programs. Rothschild v. Grottenthaler, 907 F.2d 886 (2nd Cir. 1990). The Office for Civil Rights for the U.S. Department of Education has held that PTA programs and activities are covered by the ADA, in that the school district provides significant indirect assistance to the PTA. Irvine Unified School District, 19 IDELR 883 (OCR 1993).

The Office for Civil Rights has also determined that sign language interpreters permit deaf people to participate meaningfully in federally-assisted programs. It has ruled that public school systems must give access to extracurricular programs, and must give access when they offer services to parents as well as to students.

The agency may not assess any additional charge for the provision of an auxiliary aid or service. 28 C.F.R. §35.130(f).

School systems should routinely publicize the method that deaf persons can use to request necessary services such as interpreters. A public entity must have a procedure that a deaf person can use to request service at school system activities, accessible by TTY. TTY-accessible telephone numbers should be clearly identified in telephone directory listings, school system letterhead, and information disseminated about school system services.

Failure to provide a qualified sign language interpreter or other auxiliary aid or service for a deaf parent or child under these circumstances would be a discriminatory practice.

Any time a school building is altered or constructed, the building must meet the minimum standards in the ADA Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG) or the Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards (UFAS), 28 C.F.R. §35.151. The ADAAG standards are published as Appendix A to 28 C.F.R. Part 36. The portions of ADAAG that are most relevant to deaf individuals are:

Emergency warnings and alarms §4.1.3(14), §4.28
Public telephones §4.1.3(17), §4.1.6(1)(e), §4.31.5
Assembly areas (assistive listening systems) §4.1.3(19)(b), §4.33.6, §4.33.7
Elevators §4.10.12(2), §4.10.13, §4.10.14
Signage §4.30.7
Visual devices in sleeping rooms §9.3.1, §9.3.2, A4.28.4

The National Association of the Deaf (NAD) Law and Advocacy Center prepared this material as informal guidance. This is not legal advice. The NAD assumes no liability for this material.

For additional information or technical assistance about how laws against disability discrimination apply to you, contact the NAD Law and Advocacy Center, 301-587-7730 Voice/TTY, 301-587-0234 FAX, nadlaw@nad.org; a local attorney (for more information, see Get a Lawyer); or an enforcement agency (see list at www.ada.gov or call 800-514-0301 Voice or 800-514-0383 TTY).

kcrocker,

The previous post should have answered your question. I'm my own advocate under the ADA and give no one any mercy when I come in with my hearing dog. She was in my job interview a few weeks ago and I got the job! This was the first time Snickers was in an interview with me and she accompanies me on the job.

I think that the days of being nice are pretty much over and us hoh/deaf's are going to have to be forceful in our assertions.

pek1 said:
kcrocker,

The previous post should have answered your question. I'm my own advocate under the ADA and give no one any mercy when I come in with my hearing dog. She was in my job interview a few weeks ago and I got the job! This was the first time Snickers was in an interview with me and she accompanies me on the job.

I think that the days of being nice are pretty much over and us hoh/deaf's are going to have to be forceful in our assertions.

You are right... any deaf parents can inform to ADA about the interpreters at the schools... Nothing new about Money issue of interpreters.. it is their LAME excuses...

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHTS... DO NOT GIVE UP EASILY!!!

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

pek1 said:
Indeed. I just had a bout with my former university when they initially refused to provide an interpreter for my fiancee at my sister's graduation. I wrote them a letter pointing out Section 504 and a few court cases that specify any university that gets federal funds through gov't loans to the university's students counts as the school getting federal funding directly (it was a private school). After some hemming and hawing, they finally got a 'terp.

Good advise from all. If they bring up the money issue again, simply tell them that they will have even less money after you file a report with the Dept. of Justice and they loose federal funding because they are in violation of Section 504. Be tough with them. Everytime I dealt with a public school system for my son's needs they brought up the "no money" excuse. The money doesn't even come from the local school system--they are reimbursed by the state--so that excuse is jsut BS!

The ADA guarantees you certain rights, and no one should refuse to comply for any reason. If they continue to give you problems, send an email to the NAD law and advocacy center.

I went through the same issue as you did, I fought all the way, So I took my complaints to the Board of Education, I waited and waited until the perfect timing for the meeting which been held for all the parents for any complaints or advice, etc. I spoke up about my son's music concert that I had no interpreter during that event, nor Parent and Teacher's meeting and told them about the these laws that I had the right to a sign language interpreter even if my son is not deaf himself, and that I should be able to received the same access to be heard what being said during the music and parent/teacher's meeting the same way the hearing parents received. I couldn't deal with the school itself because of their inappropriate behavior, refusing to provide or pay for a sign language interpreter because my son isn't deaf.

I also told them that they violations my rights to know about my son, What he does in school, What he sings. I want to be able to be part of that. Why can't I? I've been part of my son's school parties, donations of food bank and this is what I get?! Hell with that.

Let me tell you something, It works! When I stood up for myself, all the parents got up and clapped. I didn't know what to say, I thought I would lose this battle, but after-all it went my way. The Board of Education took care of providing me sign language interpreters. Whatever I want to attend to any events at school, I would get sign language interpreters. :thumb:

Cheri said:
I went through the same issue as you did, I fought all the way, So I took my complaints to the Board of Education, I waited and waited until the perfect timing for the meeting which been held for all the parents for any complaints or advice, etc. I spoke up about my son's music concert that I had no interpreter during that event, nor Parent and Teacher's meeting and told them about the these laws that I had the right to a sign language interpreter even if my son is not deaf himself, and that I should be able to received the same access to be heard what being said during the music and parent/teacher's meeting the same way the hearing parents received. I couldn't deal with the school itself because of their inappropriate behavior, refusing to provide or pay for a sign language interpreter because my son isn't deaf.

I also told them that they violations my rights to know about my son, What he does in school, What he sings. I want to be able to be part of that. Why can't I? I've been part of my son's school parties, donations of food bank and this is what I get?! Hell with that.

Let me tell you something, It works! When I stood up for myself, all the parents got up and clapped. I didn't know what to say, I thought I would lose this battle, but after-all it went my way. The Board of Education took care of providing me sign language interpreters. Whatever I want to attend to any events at school, I would get sign language interpreters. :thumb:

WHOO HOO good for you...you set your goals for all deaf parents... they can do the same you did... KEEP IT UP WITH GOOD WORK!!!
Thanks!!

SxyPorkie :hyper: :hyper:

ksbsnowowl said:
Indeed. I just had a bout with my former university when they initially refused to provide an interpreter for my fiancee at my sister's graduation. I wrote them a letter pointing out Section 504 and a few court cases that specify any university that gets federal funds through gov't loans to the university's students counts as the school getting federal funding directly (it was a private school). After some hemming and hawing, they finally got a 'terp.

If I were you, I'd follow up with the Department of Justice and make sure they know about the problems, which means you'll need to file a complaint.

Was it a public university or a private, Christian one?

It is indeed a private religious college. Admittedly, this is all fairly new to them, as my fiancee is the first deaf student the university has ever had. Still, the university has an officer whose duty it is every year to sign off that they are complying with ADA and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and obviously that person has not been doing their homework.

I informed the college of the court cases Hillsdale College v. Department of Education (1982) and Grove City College v. Bell (1984), and the basic implications thereof, so things should be fine from here on out. My sister began the complaint process back in May, but may have stopped once we were notified the interpreter would be provided.

ksbsnowowl said:
It is indeed a private religious college. Admittedly, this is all fairly new to them, as my fiancee is the first deaf student the university has ever had. Still, the university has an officer whose duty it is every year to sign off that they are complying with ADA and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and obviously that person has not been doing their homework.

I informed the college of the court cases Hillsdale College v. Department of Education (1982) and Grove City College v. Bell (1984), and the basic implications thereof, so things should be fine from here on out. My sister began the complaint process back in May, but may have stopped once we were notified the interpreter would be provided.

ksbsnowowl,

Don't let your sister stop the process, :nono: the more complaints against that university, the better. Best hit them in the pocketbook than a deaf person (a visitor, which means a potential student) not being able to know what's going on. Give them a dose of a bruised bank account. :hyper:

pek1 said:
Best hit them in the pocketbook than a deaf person (a visitor, which means a potential student) not being able to know what's going on.
Oh, the school actually does just about everything it can to discourage Disabled students from attending the school; it's really quite sad. The head of the admissions office told his workers to tell any prospective DA students that they would not be good enough to be accepted, even if they happen to have a 4.0 high school GPA.....

I believe you should talk to the superintendent one more time through a letter including proofs of the law print-outs. If they do not do this, you go up to probably the board of directors? Go up the ladder until you get it. Do NOT give up. This isn't anything difficult to solve. It's obvious they'll have the problem down the road if they do not comply. I had a problem once through this organization and this lady told me they cannot do this. So I went online and found the executive director's e-mail and wrote to her explaining what happened and that they must do it because of the law. I got a response fast without a fuss, and I got a realtime captioner which is what I needed.

I think that the school just has a stinky superintendent who has no hope and sets a stinky example to all of the staffs.

For future reference.... If they are not sure who to hire for ASL interpreters then go to The Registery of Interpreters for the Deaf .....

http://www.rid.org

ksbsnowowl said:
Oh, the school actually does just about everything it can to discourage Disabled students from attending the school; it's really quite sad. The head of the admissions office told his workers to tell any prospective DA students that they would not be good enough to be accepted, even if they happen to have a 4.0 high school GPA.....

Get someone in their offices to record that and get those comments on tape. This would shut them down permanently.

Find out if the school receives public funding. If so, go ahead file a title II complaint without delay.

The link is right here;

http://www.ada.gov/t2cmpfrm.htm

Click on it and send it to the printer and send it to the DOJ.

Finally I believe I've seen this post elsewhere especially the "I was former Galludet professor for undergradate and I know what I am doing" line.

Richard

wow.. many of you experience bad things about school system..

i also learn many things too from u guys. however i'm not experience any problem with interpreter issue for my son's school and meetings. they just hire them right away because they have a small deaf program/teachers there in the district.

seems like if the school district have DHH program then they'll hire it for your meetings.. maybe i gotta find a school with it once i move to new town heh

i'm aware that few superintendent are millionaires. and selfish with their money

DeafSCUBA98 said:
wow.. many of you experience bad things about school system..

i also learn many things too from u guys. however i'm not experience any problem with interpreter issue for my son's school and meetings. they just hire them right away because they have a small deaf program/teachers there in the district.

seems like if the school district have DHH program then they'll hire it for your meetings.. maybe i gotta find a school with it once i move to new town heh

Some Christian churches are just as bad, but they've got protection until we get legislation to get them all to lose their tax exempt status.

pek1 said:
Christian churches... [have] got protection until we get legislation to get them all to lose their tax exempt status.
Now that, I think, would be a terrible idea.

Back