I need help downloading AIM on a old laptop:: A dell Inspiron 8000??

He told me about Pidgin

Don't install AIM. Ubuntu comes with a program called Pidgin. It allows you to use multiple IM platforms (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc) through the same program.

Pidgin, the universal chat client I think that you might try it.

He told me about Pidgin

Don't install AIM. Ubuntu comes with a program called Pidgin. It allows you to use multiple IM platforms (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc) through the same program.

Pidgin, the universal chat client I think that you might try it.

oh okay, thanks. I actually have pidgin. But I always thought AIM was kind of easier to do. Because with pidgin, it tried downloading a icon and it didn't really show up on pidgin. And I don't know how to change the font or colors of the font on pidgin.

OIC. I now understand that you need emoticons and smileys in your AIM. I don't need to install AIM download. I will look for another multi-instant messenging for using Ubunti.

Ok, got an idea what's going on now.
You need to use GAIM for ubuntu (linux) platform. I've used it in the past. Ubuntu is a different language and AOL doesn't have a linux distributable for their AIM. GAIM is the only AIM client for ubuntu based systems, as far as I'm aware.

There's a slightly complicated process of installing GAIM on an Ubuntu operating system, you need to learn how to process the executables. It's not just point and click, you have to understand how to use Unbutu first. Does your dad know how by chance? Or we will have to go step-by-step here.

You need to use GAIM for ubuntu (linux) platform. I've used it in the past. Ubuntu is a different language and AOL doesn't have a linux distributable for their AIM. GAIM is the only AIM client for ubuntu based systems, as far as I'm aware.

There's a slightly complicated process of installing GAIM on an Ubuntu operating system, you need to learn how to process the executables. It's not just point and click, you have to understand how to use Unbutu first. Does your dad know how by chance? Or we will have to go step-by-step here.

I agree that. Gaim/Pidgin only for Ubuntu.

You might actually have GAIM (which is now Pidgin, chevy57 mentioned it) already installed, depending on which Ubuntu you have preloaded.

See if it is in Applications > Internet > GAIM if your distributable was within a good date.

You might actually have GAIM (which is now Pidgin, chevy57 mentioned it) already installed, depending on which Ubuntu you have preloaded.

See if it is in Applications > Internet > GAIM if your distributable was within a good date.

Right! coolgirlspyer90 has Pidgin IM but don't include emoticons and smileys. She needs them.

Ahh yes I see now. I left the topic open on my PC and left about 5 hours ago and just got back, so I wasn't able to read through it all too quickly.

So you have Pidgin installed, can load it up - that's good. Unfortunately I think Pidgin has a monopoly over the Ubuntu platform, so you're going to have to live with that chat program...
For the smilies let me try to remember to the best of my knowledge, I think there was an option to select them somewhere in tools > preferences > smilies? I might be wrong, it's been awhile since I used it.

For the font, you won't have the same fonts available to windows systems, you can only use ones that are available for Ubuntu(linux) which your chat partner might not have. Default Windows fonts are licensed, so they can't be distributed to another platform like Mac/Linux/etc legally. The best you can do is just choose one that suits what you like.

Ahh yes I see now. I left the topic open on my PC and left about 5 hours ago and just got back, so I wasn't able to read through it all too quickly.

So you have Pidgin installed, can load it up - that's good. Unfortunately I think Pidgin has a monopoly over the Ubuntu platform, so you're going to have to live with that chat program...
For the smilies let me try to remember to the best of my knowledge, I think there was an option to select them somewhere in tools > preferences > smilies? I might be wrong, it's been awhile since I used it.

For the font, you won't have the same fonts available to windows systems, you can only use ones that are available for Ubuntu(linux) which your chat partner might not have. Default Windows fonts are licensed, so they can't be distributed to another platform like Mac/Linux/etc legally. The best you can do is just choose one that suits what you like.

I was playing around with Pidgin, And it does have smileys. But the main thing is i was trying to figure out if i can change font styles like Arial, Comic Sans, etc. But it doesn't have that. And I can't change font colors. Because I like changing fonts and fonts colors because I'm more on the creative side. And When I was trying to download an Icon for pidgin, it wouldn't show up for some reason.

I looked under Applications>Internet> But no GAIM.

My Dad probably doesn't know. But My Uncle (My dad's brother) is ALSO a computer genius. He works with computers alot in his job. But I'm going to try and see if my uncle is on pidgin/aim and see if he would help. because he also installed Ubuntu on our very old computer.

I was playing around with Pidgin, And it does have smileys. But the main thing is i was trying to figure out if i can change font styles like Arial, Comic Sans, etc. But it doesn't have that. And I can't change font colors. Because I like changing fonts and fonts colors because I'm more on the creative side. And When I was trying to download an Icon for pidgin, it wouldn't show up for some reason.

Yep, it's because mainly if Ubuntu was to have Arial, Comic Sans, Times New Roman, fonts like that - it will be illegal and Microsoft would sue them. It is microsoft's property. I don't think there are legal ones available for you to use - the best you can do is choose one that looks closest to what you want. Although I'm not too sure, I haven't tried changing fonts in Pidgin before.

Unfortunatly I tried finding GAIM, and Its not under Applications>Internet. So I decided to look through Add/Remove And its not there either.

Unfortunatly I tried finding GAIM, and Its not under Applications>Internet. So I decided to look through Add/Remove And its not there either.

Yeah, sorry about that. It was a mistake on my part, I did not read through half this page when I came back to my PC. You have Pidgin already. Pidgin = newer GAIM.

Yeah, sorry about that. It was a mistake on my part, I did not read through half this page when I came back to my PC. You have Pidgin already. Pidgin = newer GAIM.

oh okay, well there's another IM that I could use. It's called: Kopete.

If I remember right that GAIM/Pidgin is found through the software repositories thing.

Follow the direction: Software repositories.

Just type something like "AIM" and couple should come up on your screen. :)

I have tried downloading AIM off of that site before, It works fine from downloading but not from installing.

oh i see i didnt know that! but you can click says aim 6.8 but you can try for that let me know on PM ok? if have problems

Back