I need help downloading AIM on a old laptop:: A dell Inspiron 8000??

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
I'm using a old laptop that my grandpa gave my dad who gave the laptop to me. And I'm trying to download AIM. But it's not working for some reason. Here's what's the error telling me::

An Error occured while loading the Archive (Null) with a Red circle and a white negative sign in the middle of the circle.

and I have no idea what's that mean. The AIM install is on desktop. And the aim file says: Instal_AIM.exe

This laptop is kind of old but my dad upgraded it alittle bit with a new program.

Any help??????????

An Error occured while loading the Archive (Null) with a Red circle and a white negative sign in the middle of the circle.

and I have no idea what's that mean. The AIM install is on desktop. And the aim file says: Instal_AIM.exe

This laptop is kind of old but my dad upgraded it alittle bit with a new program.
Any help??????????

laptop run windows 98, windows xp or windows vista which ?
what kind laptop made by dell, hp ? what model ?

if you answer all those then I can help you

Inspirion 8k specs seems to be WinME edition, spinoff of 98 with tad bit of upgrade. Since it's WinME, it's got to be a laptop around the later 1990's or early 2000.
I'm going to go off and guess you downlloaded the latest version of AIM ver 6. Chances are, your pc doesn't have the latest windows installer (latest is 3.1 ver2).
Try an older version of AIM, see if it works first:
here's a direct link:
AOL Instant Messenger - OldVersion.com

Try out 5.5.3598, it's a pretty stable old ver that still works to this date.
If it does, we can continue from there if you want to move onto resolving the installer issues or installing the newer AIM, which the fix most likely be downloading the redistributable compatible for your windows.

The issue was that her hard drive was almost full. Not enough memory to store the entire files.

What of OS are you running on? Try use old version of AIM.

If HDD is full then try uninstall some programs or get new HDD, I bet your HDD is IDE.

Incompatibilities with AOL (5 & 6) and Windows (98 & me)...and fixes

If your computer stops responding (or unexpectedly disconnects) while you are connected to the Internet, here are three things you can try:

Go to Microsoft Product Services at Advanced Search. (It's difficult to find anything on the ms website, even if you know what you're looking for.) For 1, select Windows Millennium Edition; 2, select specific article id number; 3, enter Q272016, and 4, click on go. Click on the article heading that comes up, and to download, click on 272016usam.exe. (I got this info from Dell.)

Go to c:\America Online 5[or 6].0\csl\ and rename aolnetpp.csl to aolnetpp.bak. (Call it was aolnetpp.csl.) (Someone posted this online and said he got it from AOL.)

Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/System, then select the Device Manager tab. Double click on Network Adapters, and highlight the AOL Dial-Up Adapter and click on Properties. Click once to put a check mark in the box next to Disable in this [or some say all] hardware profiles.

coolgirlspyer90, You try it.

hi guys,

My dad had upgraded a operating system called Ubuntu on this laptop. So i can't really find the control panel. As JClarke told me thru PM that i should get rid of some stuff that i find are useless,

I tried doing that and tried downloading the aim install thing from my own link that i found and it didn't work for some reason. I have a Linksys connecting card that helps the laptop to connect to a network from our computer in our home. So its connecting to a network pretty good.

I'm not sure why its not downloading at all. And Just so you all know it opens up in this program called: "Archive Manager." So i don't know what else to do. Usually I can figure out why things aren't working and i could explain them to my parents. Because I'm usually the computer genius here in my family. And i'm 15 years old girl. Almost 16 and almost ready to drive. (not yet)

But if you could help me that would be great.

As for the window versions i'm not excactly sure what windows its running on: Either vp or vistia. Not so sure at all.

when i was trying to install it with the archive manager (for some reason it ONLY opens up on archive manager) It won't work that way because of that error. And so, on the Left Top corner of the laptop it shows: Applications, Places, System and a icon of: Mozillia firefox internet, a email, and a FAQ icon.

Under system it has: Prefrences,Admistration, Help and support, About GNOME, About Ubuntu, Lock Screen,Log out..., Shut down...

Under Places it reads: Home Folder, Desktop,Documents,Music,Pictures,Videos, Computer,CD/DVD Creator,3.2 Media, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Drive,Network,Connect to server...,Search for files,Recent Documents.

Under applications:
Accessories,Graphics,Internet,Sound and video, and Add/remove.

hi guys,

My dad had upgraded a operating system called Ubuntu on this laptop. So i can't really find the control panel. As JClarke told me thru PM that i should get rid of some stuff that i find are useless,

I tried doing that and tried downloading the aim install thing from my own link that i found and it didn't work for some reason. I have a Linksys connecting card that helps the laptop to connect to a network from our computer in our home. So its connecting to a network pretty good.

I'm not sure why its not downloading at all. And Just so you all know it opens up in this program called: "Archive Manager." So i don't know what else to do. Usually I can figure out why things aren't working and i could explain them to my parents. Because I'm usually the computer genius here in my family. And i'm 15 years old girl. Almost 16 and almost ready to drive. (not yet)

But if you could help me that would be great.

As for the window versions i'm not excactly sure what windows its running on: Either vp or vistia. Not so sure at all.

If you need Windows then your laptop will better to run XP for best performance.

Vista don't performs so well on PC that's 8 years old with P3 or slower P4.

P = Pentium

If you need Windows then your laptop will better to run XP for best performance.

Vista don't performs so well on PC that's 8 years old with P3 or slower P4.

P = Pentium

okay...Well I'm still trying to figure out what else i could do...I got rid of some stuff off of my laptop, And I tried downloading the old version of AIM that someone gave me the link to that on this post but they said that i needed to pay for that but as at teenager I don't have enough money to pay for that. I rather download something free haha.

okay...Well I'm still trying to figure out what else i could do...I got rid of some stuff off of my laptop, And I tried downloading the old version of AIM that someone gave me the link to that on this post but they said that i needed to pay for that but as at teenager I don't have enough money to pay for that. I rather download something free haha.

What kind operating system are you using on laptop? Windows or Linux?

coolgirlspyer90, I never learn about Ubuntu operation. I will ask my niece s husband who works with technical service about AIM problem with your operation of Ubuntu in your laptop. I will let you know.

coolgirlspyer90, I never learn about Ubuntu operation. I will ask my niece s husband who works with technical service about AIM problem with your operation of Ubuntu in your laptop. I will let you know.

Hey man, did you got my PM?

okay, Thanks soo much. You could always PM me if you needed to. Thanks for your help.

Back