I need a quick help on police calls.

I do that now. At first I'd answer just to basically ask them to remove my address from their targeted ones......I say targeted because, usually, one of them will sign.
Yep. Somehow, they can find anyone who signs. I was on their signing list, too. They claimed that a neighbor told them I was deaf. They also show up uninvited at hospital rooms where there is a deaf person.

I hope they aren't accessing VRS registration files. :hmm:

I know of one large interpreting agency that is run by JW's that actively proselytizes deaf consumers during assignments.

Well...I'm not "hiding" from anybody...and feel if they don't get the message the first time after telling them I'm not interested...then sure as hell the 2nd time they'll get it!...Feel nobody in their own homes need or have to hide from anybody....and of course, they'll leave all those pamphlets and will come back again..and again.....and again....
I didn't mean that you should hide. I don't answer my door for strangers of any kind.

In the past, I've answered the door to JW's. I calmly give my Christian testimony and offer them some tracts from my church. Between that and the Flag and Bible verse on my front porch, they know with whom they are dealing and usually don't linger or come back.

Then they'll leave some JW pamphlet at your door and I hate that ! I can't stand anyone trying to force their beliefs onto me! They came back to my condo after not being around for years , I was not home and they left their JW pamphlet at my door. I was pissed off!
Don't let it get to you. Just take whatever they leave behind and throw it in the trash. No one forces you to read it.

No-soliciting.jpg

Don't let it get to you. Just take whatever they leave behind and throw it in the trash. No one forces you to read it.

I put in my recycling bag , I know they can't made me read it , but they're trying forces their beliefs on people by going to your home all the time. When I was health aide I had clients that where really harass by JW , they came when I was at one client's home and she asked me to get rid of them. That is so wrong harassing an elderly person all the time.

Can you send text messages to the police station if you are deaf or not able to talk and can't use the phone? What if someone was having a heart attack or choking and how would call for help?

Okay, I know I'm late to the party but I just HAVE to let you all know my sure fire way of finally getting them to leave me alone.

They were coming by every other day at around the same time. Same people and everything.

Each time I was polite and told them that I already had a religion, that I wasn't ready to change, and to be safe on their travels. Each time they left me Watchtower booklets.

The fifth time they came around, I finally stepped out on the porch to have a discussion with them. The topic was "Do I think that I can change the world from all of the evil?" (as she held a booklet with the title of the same question on the front) ~ I said that I don't think I can change the world because all of the negativity and bad things that are happening is what I want.

She gave me a questioning look. I told here that all of this sin was a necessity. Again she looked at me funny. I went on about how this evil that was going on in the world is "my" religion controlling it all. I asked her if she was interested in learning more about "my" religion. I told her that we have meetings but the location was secret and that she can only come if I bring her. I told her that Satanism is nothing to be afraid of, that as long as your soul is promised and you give the ultimate sacrifice, you will be promised a place in hell. By this time her partner had retreated to the sidewalk and was calling her to leave.

She had this look of fear in her face and started to back off. She said "No thank you" and started to step backward. She turned around and began to walk quickly away. I followed her down my driveway and told her "BUT WAIT! I have so much more to tell you, why are you leaving?!? Come back!!! Give me a chance to open your world to something enlightening!!"

She and her partner never came back.

And no, Im not really a Satanist. :giggle:

Is it possible to just not answer the door when you see JW's are there?

I've done that, whether it's JW's or other solicitors. One time I was sitting by the living room window with the blinds open, so it's possible they saw me there ignoring the knock on the door.

I rarely answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. If I can I will go to a window and look out to see who it might be.

i had mormons do that and bring signer with them,he was young american man who did bsl,they annoyed me but that my fault for asking questions i was intrested...,In the end i got local catholic priest to talk to someone from their church, left alone after that...
i got admiration for j.w going on the knock but as for police getting involved that extream....j.w offer bring signer to me i did once exchange views with her but her signing was only jw stuff...i think there j,w signing course...I dont live on my own husband live downstairs so maybe it harder if you alone

Can you send text messages to the police station if you are deaf or not able to talk and can't use the phone? What if someone was having a heart attack or choking and how would call for help?

You can with VP on your smartphone as long as VP service has your address (per FCC request).

Everyone I know who would come to visit knows to text me first. I can't hear the door or phone so I don't get harassed very often.

When my girls were in middle and high school the JW would be standing on the corners across from the school handing out little orange "books" to all these kids. That really ticked me off. I don't know what it took but they finally stopped. That is really low when they go after innocent kids.

I was harassed by JW when I was in the hospital and shortly after I came home. Still don't know how they found me or how they knew I was deaf. They started out so friendly and helpful but it turned to religion soon after and that felt like a major betrayal.

Ha, I was looking for that exact picture and couldn't figure out how to search for it :). Great minds, huh? :)

As for JW's coming to your house- have a little fun if you are in the mood for it. If you're not in the mood for it, just tell them "not interested" and shut the door, or don't answer the door at all. When I'm in the mood to play around I will tell them "my dad's a Baptist pastor and my husband's Jewish, I have enough religion thank you very much" (both of those things are true, too- although neither my husband or I practice any religion). I actually remember a time when I was in high school and living with my parents when some came to our house. Like I said, my dad is a pastor, we live RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from the church (and the house is obviously the pastor's house because it is the only one on the little street where the church is). I told them, "um, my dad is the pastor of that church over there." They left... I have met a few nice JW's before (a cab driver I use to use all the time before I got a car was JW and very nice, not pushy at all) but recently I had a co-worker who was JW and she was one of the meanest, nastiest people I have ever worked with, never happy always saw things as someone else's fault, etc... (But, I don't necessarily think that has to do with her choice in religion, I think she was like that before she found religion...)

Hope they get the hint and will leave you alone, though.

you can tell them mile off by way they dress...rest of us normal people wearing jeans and charity shop stuff and they dressed up in sunday smarts,it looks like uniform on them..

Okay, I know I'm late to the party but I just HAVE to let you all know my sure fire way of finally getting them to leave me alone.

They were coming by every other day at around the same time. Same people and everything.

Each time I was polite and told them that I already had a religion, that I wasn't ready to change, and to be safe on their travels. Each time they left me Watchtower booklets.

The fifth time they came around, I finally stepped out on the porch to have a discussion with them. The topic was "Do I think that I can change the world from all of the evil?" (as she held a booklet with the title of the same question on the front) ~ I said that I don't think I can change the world because all of the negativity and bad things that are happening is what I want.

She gave me a questioning look. I told here that all of this sin was a necessity. Again she looked at me funny. I went on about how this evil that was going on in the world is "my" religion controlling it all. I asked her if she was interested in learning more about "my" religion. I told her that we have meetings but the location was secret and that she can only come if I bring her. I told her that Satanism is nothing to be afraid of, that as long as your soul is promised and you give the ultimate sacrifice, you will be promised a place in hell. By this time her partner had retreated to the sidewalk and was calling her to leave.

She had this look of fear in her face and started to back off. She said "No thank you" and started to step backward. She turned around and began to walk quickly away. I followed her down my driveway and told her "BUT WAIT! I have so much more to tell you, why are you leaving?!? Come back!!! Give me a chance to open your world to something enlightening!!"

She and her partner never came back.

And no, Im not really a Satanist. :giggle:

I would had said the only evil going on in my world right now is you being at my door because you do not respect my religion .

HA HA! The dogs are barking a lot right now so I peek out of the window to see why. There they are!! The same people with the Watchtower booklets. This time they have a little girl with them.

The little girl starts to run up my driveway and then the ladies must have stopped her because she hurried up and turned around! The skipped my house!!

Tee hee!

Yep. Somehow, they can find anyone who signs. I was on their signing list, too. They claimed that a neighbor told them I was deaf. They also show up uninvited at hospital rooms where there is a deaf person.

I hope they aren't accessing VRS registration files. :hmm:

I know of one large interpreting agency that is run by JW's that actively proselytizes deaf consumers during assignments.
A lot of them are actually getting their lists of deaf people from sources illegally or without your permission. There's even deaf-support division of JW that goes to Deaf Expo events... with their own booth. They're probably using the sign-up sheets to track down these people. They probably even steal sign-up sheets from other booths (or take pictures). Who knows, the people running Deaf Expo probably sold their lists of deaf attendees to these JW people.

I had a friend in New York who had a Mormon guy come to his door. He introduced himself, said he knew sign language, and that he knew my friend was deaf. My friend was surprised, but let him in anyways. After a short time of "listening" to him, the Mormon guy headed out the door. Right before my friend closed the door, he asked how that guy knew he was deaf. He pulled out a list and said, "Oh, this list has addresses of deaf people in Rochester." My friend grabbed the list and slammed the door on his face. He was mad and wondered how his name showed up on that list.

A lot of them are actually getting their lists of deaf people from sources illegally or without your permission. There's even deaf-support division of JW that goes to Deaf Expo events... with their own booth. They're probably using the sign-up sheets to track down these people. They probably even steal sign-up sheets from other booths (or take pictures). Who knows, the people running Deaf Expo probably sold their lists of deaf attendees to these JW people.

I had a friend in New York who had a Mormon guy come to his door. He introduced himself, said he knew sign language, and that he knew my friend was deaf. My friend was surprised, but let him in anyways. After a short time of "listening" to him, the Mormon guy headed out the door. Right before my friend closed the door, he asked how that guy knew he was deaf. He pulled out a list and said, "Oh, this list has addresses of deaf people in Rochester." My friend grabbed the list and slammed the door on his face. He was mad and wondered how his name showed up on that list.
Grrrr....

Grrrr....
Yeah. It happened to me once. Someone found me using a deaf directory they had found online... which I registered to. That email address became invalid as I had switched from Hotmail to Yahoo. Since then, I haven't registered my email address with any deaf group (except for IP-Relay).... and have never been targeted by anyone like that since.

Back