I have questions about Gallaudet and NTID/RIT

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to studies in computer science, I just want make decision on both of them and I have difficult time to make final decision.

What's difference on between Gallaudet and NTID/RIT?

I already got accepted at Gallaudet but I need ask some questions to ensure on my choice, I do considered about NTID/RIT.

How much ACT score that NTID accept?

Does area that where NTID located offers bus service or public transportation? I know Gallaudet already offered alot because of in DC.

What's cons on between Gallaudet and NTID/RIT?

Is it true that some companies don't want hire anyone who graduate from Gallaudet? I need make claim if it's true and I do concern about in future.

I noticed NTID offers associate degree only in most majors, what's option if students at NTID want receive an bachelor degree?

question to yourself,

what is your interest in taking courses for your major?
see what gallaudet offers course that match to your major or RIT, to see what RIT offers course that match to your major. That's how you can decide on going to which school.
thats all matter to you. Both of them do offer internships that can help you to decide what you like to be, based on the major.

good luck.

I'm interested to studies in computer science, I just want make decision on both of them and I have difficult time to make final decision.

I already got accepted at Gallaudet but I need ask some questions to ensure on my choice, I do considered about NTID/RIT.

Does area that where NTID located offers bus service or public transportation? I know Gallaudet already offered alot because of in DC.

Is it true that some companies don't want hire anyone who graduate from Gallaudet? I need make claim if it's true and I do concern about in future.

I noticed NTID offers associate degree only in most majors, what's option if students at NTID want receive an bachelor degree?

I think that you should take technical major at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) instead of NTID. RIT is more technology and computer science majors than Gallaudet University. Gally is liberal arts majors. But Weather in Rochester is colder than DC and not much public transportation. Living costs in DC is expensive than Rochester. You must visit both of NTID/RIT and Gallaudent. You feel to decide one of them to take courses.

I have to agree with Chevy. I did visited both...didn't like Gally for some reason...I do like NTID/RIT. There is a bus lines at the campus/near campus but bus times are limit.So best is visit and see HOW you feel, and also talk to the staff at both campus. So that you can decide what you feel fit the most.

I think that you should take technical major at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) instead of NTID. RIT is more technology and computer science majors than Gallaudet University. Gally is liberal arts majors. But Weather in Rochester is colder than DC and not much public transportation. Living costs in DC is expensive than Rochester. You must visit both of NTID/RIT and Gallaudent. You feel to decide one of them to take courses.

It is fairly easy for me to answer this question. Gally is the world's liberal arts university for the Deaf. :) NTID/RIT is part of RIT that offers various technical programs and majors.

Congrats! Yes it is important for you to consider what the best opportunity is for you and your future.

I have no idea. Perhaps the NTID graduates can answer it.

I think you already know enough about the public transportation in D.C. As matters of facts, the D.C. subway is one of the world's best subway systems.

As Gally almuni, I have only a complaint about Gally and it is weather. I hate hot and humid weather. :) There is another concern that you might consider that the crime area around the campus but during my time, it was not a major problem for me. The best thing is to have a friend or two to accompany you when you all walk during night times.

No, it is not true. Some friends of mine have managed to get well-paid jobs at IBM, Microsoft and other Fortune 500 companies following their graduation with B.Sc in Computer Science or C.I.S.

You can pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science at RIT although they offer AS programs. My good friend decided to go for BSc in same field when he felt AS degree was not enough for him.

question to yourself,

what is your interest in taking courses for your major?
see what gallaudet offers course that match to your major or RIT, to see what RIT offers course that match to your major. That's how you can decide on going to which school.
thats all matter to you. Both of them do offer internships that can help you to decide what you like to be, based on the major.

good luck.

My major is computer science, both of them offers it.

Yup, it wasn't part if you planning to live on campus.

I have to agree with Chevy. I did visited both...didn't like Gally for some reason...I do like NTID/RIT. There is a bus lines at the campus/near campus but bus times are limit.So best is visit and see HOW you feel, and also talk to the staff at both campus. So that you can decide what you feel fit the most.

Thanks for helpful advice. :)

It is fairly easy for me to answer this question. Gally is the world's liberal arts university for the Deaf. :) NTID/RIT is part of RIT that offers various technical programs and majors.

Congrats! Yes it is important for you to consider what the best opportunity is for you and your future.

I have no idea. Perhaps the NTID graduates can answer it.

I think you already know enough about the public transportation in D.C. As matters of facts, the D.C. subway is one of the world's best subway systems.

As Gally almuni, I have only a complaint about Gally and it is weather. I hate hot and humid weather. :) There is another concern that you might consider that the crime area around the campus but during my time, it was not a major problem for me. The best thing is to have a friend or two to accompany you when you all walk during night times.

No, it is not true. Some friends of mine have managed to get well-paid jobs at IBM, Microsoft and other Fortune 500 companies following their graduation with B.Sc in Computer Science or C.I.S.

You can pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science at RIT although they offer AS programs. My good friend decided to go for BSc in same field when he felt AS degree was not enough for him.

Yup, heat and humid are normal weather for southeast states and mid-Atlantic states, it does more worse when you are in east Texas or deep south, including Florida.

When you went to Gallaudet?

Nice, I don't need worry or concern about job in future and I don't believe in anyone who is heavily anti-Gally that cause my mind so twisted and have reconsider over again.

Oh really, if any deaf people who need pursue bachelor degree at RIT then they have pay RIT tuition instead of NTID?

Yup, heat and humid are normal weather for southeast states and mid-Atlantic states, it does more worse when you are in east Texas or deep south, including Florida.

When you went to Gallaudet?

Nice, I don't need worry or concern about job in future and I don't believe in anyone who is heavily anti-Gally that cause my mind so twisted and have reconsider over again.

Oh really, if any deaf people who need pursue bachelor degree at RIT then they have pay RIT tuition instead of NTID?

At the time I attended RIT in the early 90's, all deaf students were able to pay NTID tuition even when attending RIT. That was a nice perk! Not sure if that still is true today, though. I'm with the others here - if you're looking at a computer science major, RIT is a very good school for that and is probably better known to employers in that field when looking for a job after graduation.

That's right.

RIT has 7 places of residence:
- dorms (13 buildings)
- Colony Manor
- Perkins Green
- Racquet Club
- Riverknoll
- University Commons
- RIT Inn

Racquet Club is a bit further away from campus. RIT Inn is much further away from campus, but both have ongoing shuttle that come and go all day long. RIT also has their own bus service that goes through all residence areas all day long and goes through the academic side of campus all day long. So, transportation isn't really a problem... unless you live in a part of Rochester where you have to drive your own car far. Other than that, you'll be fine.

I've lived in the dorms the entire time I was at RIT. The only time I wasn't in the dorms was during the summer. I would live in an apartment on campus or off campus. I even lived in a couple houses. Either way, I never had transportation problems. I always found a roommate to live with during the summer. :)

At the time I attended RIT in the early 90's, all deaf students were able to pay NTID tuition even when attending RIT. That was a nice perk! Not sure if that still is true today, though. I'm with the others here - if you're looking at a computer science major, RIT is a very good school for that and is probably better known to employers in that field when looking for a job after graduation.
Yep, it's still done today.

Deaf students who attend classes at RIT still pay NTID prices. :)

That's right.

RIT has 7 places of residence:
- dorms (13 buildings)
- Colony Manor
- Perkins Green
- Racquet Club
- Riverknoll
- University Commons
- RIT Inn

Racquet Club is a bit further away from campus. RIT Inn is much further away from campus, but both have ongoing shuttle that come and go all day long. RIT also has their own bus service that goes through all residence areas all day long and goes through the academic side of campus all day long. So, transportation isn't really a problem... unless you live in a part of Rochester where you have to drive your own car far. Other than that, you'll be fine.

I've lived in the dorms the entire time I was at RIT. The only time I wasn't in the dorms was during the summer. I would live in an apartment on campus or off campus. I even lived in a couple houses. Either way, I never had transportation problems. I always found a roommate to live with during the summer. :)

What about shopping mall and errands like Cold Stone, Subway, McDonald's, etc?

if any deaf people who need pursue bachelor degree at RIT then they have pay RIT tuition instead of NTID?

I'm a hearing RIT student, but have a good number of D/deaf friends in NTID. To the best of my knowledge, the tuition is the same, because NTID is one of the colleges at RIT (in the same way that they have a "college" for engineering, science, etc.) Also, and I'm not sure how broad this is, or if it also applies to Gallaudet, but there is a program called "vocational rehab" that pays for a large portion of tuition and living expenses (if you live in the dorms) at RIT.

RIT is very close to Jefferson road, which has almost any store you could ever need to go to, and then some! The center of the commercial area is just about a mile from campus, so you could even walk or ride a bike if you wanted to.

Another note about the shuttle service for RIT: the shuttles for the RIT Inn and Colony manor tend to run late. I don't know about the one from racquet club. If you're living in one of those three places, it's probably not a bad idea to have your own car, if you can afford it.

Hope that helps,
Steve

Last edited:

Ummm, there isnt much difference between both.. but a lot ppl said that over I think 60 percent of gally students drop out.. its happen in NTID, too.. Toooo manyyyy NTID students arent taking serious in education. If you are taking serious to get degree, then you will not have any problems to get degree.. All i can say is be careful who you hang out with cuz most of them are immature and still act like high schoolers.

My friend got accepted to NITD with her 13 ACT score, but I heard that NTID have new policy that NTID perfer to accept 16 scores or above only!

yes, NTID offer few RT buses and off-campus buses.. it will lead you to Mall, restaurants, walmart, and pretty much everywhere..
Well I'm not gally student so I cant answer this.. If you live in TA or Sol (dorm) GOOD LUCK.. most immature students caused fire alarms.. mostly happened around 12am to 7am. First year of NTID or RIT student will have to force to eat Gracis (restaurant on campus).. a lot ppl got sick from it. Second years student will have free choices to eat whatever they want to eat on campus.. ummm I dunno what else to say.. hmm..
This is kinda true in NTID too.. you know about co-op? if yes.. A lot of NTID student who take Computer science field have hard time to get Co-op to get the degree.. if you dont get co-op then you cant graduate.. my friend cannot get co-op for 4 years.. He is still waiting and finding any companies who willing to hire deaf for 10 weeks experiences.. This is half true to business majors too.. No problems for science fields :D (I study in science field)
Since you mentioned that you want to study computer science.. do you know that you can transfer from NTID TO RIT. When you get A.A.S degree (not A.O.S) then you can transfer to RIT to get BA degree for only two years..not 4 years..

I hope you make best choice for your future..

There are some good places nearby. There's Buffalo Wild Wings, Marketplace Mall, CompUSA, Applebee's, China Buffet, an anime store, Old Country Buffet, Henrietta Hots, Denny's, McDonalds, Wendy's, IHOP, Krispy Kreme, Blockbuster Video, Wegmans, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Regal Henrietta 18, Friendly's, Toys-R-Us, etc.

Most of these places are within 4 miles of RIT. I've actually walked to almost all of these places. :)

There are some good places nearby. There's Buffalo Wild Wings, Marketplace Mall, CompUSA, Applebee's, China Buffet, an anime store, Old Country Buffet, Henrietta Hots, Denny's, McDonalds, Wendy's, IHOP, Krispy Kreme, Blockbuster Video, Wegmans, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Regal Henrietta 18, Friendly's, Toys-R-Us, etc.

Most of these places are within 4 miles of RIT. I've actually walked to almost all of these places. :)

Even walking few miles through 5 months of horrid winter? :shock:

I want to attend to admission school about rit/ntid.

How can l attend to admission?

Foxrac, I agree with Chevy and other members. You're interesting into computer science. Then go to RIT instead Gally.

You want to look for shopping or fast food near to RIT campus. Can you go to google maps to find "Cold Stone Ice Cream". It's not that hard. If you don't like the winter. You have to cope with it.

Wish you have a good luck for your career! :)

Back