I hate advanced bionics

macawsdeaf

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 4th generation.)

I have been implanted in year 1999. Now I have problem with advanced bionics does not accept Medicaid. I am reconsidering have it removed ci I can't afford a new battery and other parts I think is silly that u have to pay out of the pocket. Money worth. No partial money plan. So it is not worth it go through all of that.

Is that the only reason your wanting to have it removed that AB don't accept Medicaid??? That's overkill if so. If your needing parts do what the rest of us do pay for them out of pocket.

I have been implanted in year 1999. Now I have problem with advanced bionics does not accept Medicaid. I am reconsidering have it removed ci I can't afford a new battery and other parts I think is silly that u have to pay out of the pocket. Money worth. No partial money plan. So it is not worth it go through all of that.

They should help you pay for new parts if needed.
Do you have a job to help pay for the cost of the parts?

The OP lists being an ASL teacher. Whether earning a salary wasn't mentioned.
It may a bit "strange" can one can request an operation so that the "internal processor" be removed while being "unable to afford batteries"?

What is not being "said" to make "sense of the potential action"?

£120.00 = $181.00

£130.00 = $196.00

I do not have a CI but I can see how those amounts could be hard for some people to come up with. Just how often do most people have to replace these?

Re info from your post above the quoted one. How can you say "only" about these kind of amounts?

Last edited:
is there a charity you could ask..it seems cruel to me do that to you

I do not have a CI but I can see how those amounts could be hard for some people to come up with. Just how often do most people have to replace these?

Re info from your post above the quoted one. How can you say "only" a bout these kind of amounts?

??? :confused:

I've read other people of putting money aside each month incase you need to buy a new battery for a cochlear implant or need to buy a new hearing aid.

I do the same as I don't use the NHS for my hearing aids as you can never get them adjusted very well as you never see the same person and they are 'too busy' and you wait months and months for simple appointments.

I'm happy to spend the money but I know I have to put aside money each month to be able to afford new hearing aids etc etc.

are you sure it's AB that doesn't accept it? Could it be that Medicaid just won't help? Have you directly contacted AB for help with this? Batteries and stuff (cables, headpieces, important pieces) should be covered as part of DME (durable medical equipment). Also check with your state's Medicaid office, they are going to have their own coverage criteria. Maybe make a post at hearingjourney.com for advice, there may be other folks there who might have run into this situation and can give some advice.

Jane, the rechargeable batteries for the AB Harmony's should last a few years. But the approximate costs Naida mentioned, I would imagine it'd be about the same for Cochlear and Med-El's rechargeable batteries as well. Rechargeables can be expensive, and they need to be powerful for a CI to work. I'm not at the point where I need to get new batteries yet, but my Medicare coverage should cover it when I do need fresh batteries.

Re info from your post above the quoted one. How can you say "only" about these kind of amounts?

??? :confused:

I've read other people of putting money aside each month incase you need to buy a new battery for a cochlear implant or need to buy a new hearing aid.

I do the same as I don't use the NHS for my hearing aids as you can never get them adjusted very well as you never see the same person and they are 'too busy' and you wait months and months for simple appointments.

I'm happy to spend the money but I know I have to put aside money each month to be able to afford new hearing aids etc etc.

I am assuming that the ??? :confused: you put in in reply to my post is about my questioning of "only" in association with something where even the lower priced version is close to $200. There are many people for whom that is not a minor amount which is what the use of "only" in this way is associated with where I live.

I completely agree that putting money aside as you go is a good idea. But, if the OP is on medicaid there may well not be enough in the budget to do so.

At this point the O P will have to "clarify" if being an ASL teacher earns money?
If the state "medicaL service pays for some/all replacements Parts"

As we all are aware there is a variety of what is paid not paid by various countries. This has nothing to do with Advance Bionics/Cochlear/ Med El
-

Maybe the OP should put some money away each month to be able to afford this kind of situation.

AB Slim batteries in the UK only cost £120.00 or £130.00 for the standard size batteries, which is nothing to keep the CI working.

PowerCel Plus - Connevans

PowerCel Plus - Connevans

My work has an account for tax free money to be set aside for certain things. The catch is you lose the money if you don't use it. This is why I don't use it. However, I suppose I always would use it for batteries. This might be a good fit for the OP too.

How is this an AB issue?

In fact I bet if you are low income and contact AB or your Audie they'd even have options to help cover the cost of the batteries. You may also be able to appeal the lack of coverage with an LMN etc.

Most of us go through about that amount in Hearing Aid batteries over a single year ... yes, it's expensive, but batteries are one of the many things that HA and CI users have to work into their budgets (just like people with contacts/glasses/bracing etc- not everything is going to be covered)

I would never thought the idea was put money side in case if need to get a new one. see that other people ask a question if i can hear? Of course I can hear very well... but AB i did contacted directly they told me not accepted an medicaid. but

I also noticed other people stated hearing aid and CI are expensive so help me understand whoever go through some situation with parts. I still love my harmony.. I love hearing my own keyboard as i play music and read music sheet as well. now I'm doing some vocal training. some people saying I can sing but not exactly I would try. I would be better off to be a pianist.

back to point I don't work but trying find a job. it is not easy to find a job.

funnny that my medicaid insurance that I had contacted said yes they work with some people who have cochlear implant so they give me list so i can call them they can only be covered for mapping. so I probably need go get new mapping for me so can be able hear better and more quality.

The reason that a Cochlear Implant is "expensive"-surgery. Also hospital care. One's skull is opened-not exactly "outpatient" procedure.

Thank you so much. I feel calm. since I feel frustrate so many time. I would ask you one of these guys. i did contacted again to advanced bionics and they told there warranty covered for my headpiece til 2014 but the batteries is out of warranty for 90 days warranty. cost me 199.00 so so I have to save that money. I have to go into budget plan and save the money for emergency.

Back