I Don't Understand.. :C

Glad I am not the only one who faces these things.. I know people talk about me behind my back, but I gave up trying to change that a long time ago, as people give me bs excuses and brush it off.. I'm glad you don't keep your sister close. That kind of treatment from a sibling (or anybody) is simply unacceptable. *offers you a punching bag* wanna take turns? (;

Some parts of what you said about your mother...sounds pretty alike what my elder sister did to me. My elder sister has been an oppressive and selfish B*TCH!!!!!!! We are not on speaking terms to each other since Thanksgiving Day '14. Because I am so tired and fed up with her after 20 years of educating her how to have some respect and treat me with respect as when I trying to build a bridge in a halfway and she had to build the bridge the halfway at the same in communication at every time we were in a group conversation with other family members and friends. She had been constantly oppressing me and opt me out like I am not there not I am lesser important while she was speaking without signing to others in front of me and I asked her to sign what she is talking about...

i got soooooo mad really bad a night after Thanksgiving visiting over my hearing friend who works on becoming an interpreter for videophone business or mental facilitity access for the deaf, I brought my camcorder which I used to record a family chat because i knew my sister did not care to bother interpreting of what was being said in a group chat with others at any kind of event. So that my friend was willing to interpret for me as he was listening to the voices on the speaker of the camcorder as I watched the homevideo playing. What got me really pissed off and upset big time...as I watched my sister and I argued and she walked behind my back and know what she said? "Katy katy katy you gotta be lipreading and practice it!! " She did not say it to my face. She talked behind me my back. WTF?! I knew that she took advantagr of my deafness...she often said "oh no its not important for u to know" "nah nevermind it" "dont worry about it its not about u" "Come on" (sound sighing and rolling eyes) at me. " i ll talk u later about it" etc etc etc BS excuses to avoid me every time I tried to ask whats up, what they said? What u r talking abt? Hmm?
Wow what a bitch...
There is always hearie willing to pull stunts lile that. viewing us as Deaf as a weakness.to take advantage off.
sucks you are treated that way, good you have no contact. If she cant t respect you...

I wish I had friends who knew how it feels to be Hoh in a hearing world :/
quite a few of us here know what that's like (both deaf and HOH).

That's how I grew up- in hearing world until I went to Gallaudet at 18. Still have to deal with the hearing world for the most part these days though...:/

Sometimes people are horrible and often downright cruel, but the core issue seems to be ignorance. The way you have been and/or are being treated is reprehensible and unfair. I know what you're feeling, the anger, hurt, frustration and confusion that is coming from one of the people who should understand and not judge you. I was not born Deaf, I lost my hearing at 19 and like you, I chose to be Deaf, learn ASL and find my own identity and I still have to take a step back when my family forgets my choices or flat out ignores them. Your family will most likely never completely understand your choices because they have not had to live your life and sometimes when I get so mad at my family that I just want to scream, I have to remind myself that in many ways I am my family's ambassador to the Deaf community and if I react negatively, it may affect their view of Deaf people and make them defensive when they meet my friends.
I know that how I handle my family may not work for you, but just know that you're not alone.

Sometimes people are horrible and often downright cruel, but the core issue seems to be ignorance. The way you have been and/or are being treated is reprehensible and unfair. I know what you're feeling, the anger, hurt, frustration and confusion that is coming from one of the people who should understand and not judge you. I was not born Deaf, I lost my hearing at 19 and like you, I chose to be Deaf, learn ASL and find my own identity and I still have to take a step back when my family forgets my choices or flat out ignores them. Your family will most likely never completely understand your choices because they have not had to live your life and sometimes when I get so mad at my family that I just want to scream, I have to remind myself that in many ways I am my family's ambassador to the Deaf community and if I react negatively, it may affect their view of Deaf people and make them defensive when they meet my friends.
I know that how I handle my family may not work for you, but just know that you're not alone.

I was born HOH and my family never really got it while growing up. My mom would try to talk to me when I had my back to her and I was in my 20's . Mom lived with me for 20 years and still did understand what it meant to be HOH. I really don't think hearing people will never fully 'get it'

I love the sound of silence too. :) I spend like every morning eating/having coffee in silence so it's quite nice... but only by myself though. If my parents are here, then yes I do have to put my C.I's on or else who knows what I'm missing.

Glad to see you're attending the school now, and it sounds really nice! I, myself am going to a tech school in the fall, so it'll mostly be with hearing people I bet.. but doesn't bother me too much. I'm oral more then I ever use sign.

And your mother actually kind of reminds me of my deaf friend's mom. I don't always feel comfortable having to talk around her... as I'm sure she's strong-minded on some things.. though that's how some people are.

But don't let her stand in your way of what you want to do or become. Do what feels right, and trust your instincts. :)

Back