I am curious how big tsunami in Aceh, Indonesia is ??

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
I looked at the website to figure out how big tsunami is? Hong Kong is very small as size as State of Rhode Island.

I saw some article said, tsunami is 3,000 miles ?? I can't imagine from State of Massachusetts to State of California is approx 2,500 miles.

Could you find out the accurately size of tsunami in Aceh, Indonesia ??

Scientists say a tsunami of similar size is possible on Oregon Coast.

I found the website.

Scientists say a tsunami of similar size is possible on Oregon Coast. Oh my gosh, it is really biggest State of Oregon. I did not realize how tsunami is bigger land !!!

http://wave.oregonstate.edu/news/story/1283

Sabrina said:
http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/9.html

Anyone of you, any idea how many miles ??

All of the pictures just boggles my mind. I cannot imagine how much damage there its. It's hard to see through the pictures. News are saying around 5 to 10 million are homeless because of the tsunami. This is very bone-chilling. Also, more deaths are on the way. Rescuers just found 7 thousand more people buried yesterday under all the sand and debris.

It's hard to determine how many miles, but it started very close to Sri Lanka, near Indonesia and Thailand. The tsunami caused by the earthquake went as far as to the coast of Africa. The 3,000 miles assumption is probably correct. You have to remember, North America, specifically United States, is really not very big compared to other continents and coutries. :(

JessHercules said:
All of the pictures just boggles my mind. I cannot imagine how much damage there its. It's hard to see through the pictures. News are saying around 5 to 10 million are homeless because of the tsunami. This is very bone-chilling. Also, more deaths are on the way. Rescuers just found 7 thousand more people buried yesterday under all the sand and debris.

It's hard to determine how many miles, but it started very close to Sri Lanka, near Indonesia and Thailand. The tsunami caused by the earthquake went as far as to the coast of Africa. The 3,000 miles assumption is probably correct. You have to remember, North America, specifically United States, is really not very big compared to other continents and coutries. :(

WHAT ??

three thousand miles (From State of Massachusetts to California)

Impossible 3,000 miles ???

Sabrina said:
WHAT ??

I was speaking of Sri Lanka to the coast of Africa. The earthquake started just off the coast of Sri Lanka, and the effects of the earthquake which caused the tsunamis went all the way to the coast of Africa.

Have you ever thrown a pebble into a pond or a lake and you can see the ripples from it? Well, same thing, but this is huge! Wave after wave. This was a very powerful tsunami.

Last edited:
JessHercules said:
I was speaking of Sri Lanka to the coast of Africa.

Ummm... I need to look at World Map. That would be very helpful

Sabrina said:
WHAT ??

yes it is approximately 3k miles between Ocean City, MD and San Francisco, CA -- if u followed the Rt 50 corrider across the USA it is approx that (actually a bit more)

US-50: THE LONELIEST ROAD

Running coast-to-coast through the heart of America on a 3,200-mile odyssey from sea to shining sea, US-50 passes through a dozen different states and four state capitals, as well as the nation’s capital, Washington, D.C. Along the route are some of the country’s most magnificent landscapes: the Appalachian, Rocky, and Sierra Nevada mountains, the endless farmlands of the Great Plains, and the desiccated deserts of Utah and Nevada. It follows the footsteps of pioneers along the Santa Fe Trail and the route of the Pony Express, and gives an uncannily consistent time line of national development. Heading west to east, you can travel back in history from the cutting-edge high tech of contemporary Silicon Valley, across the Wild West frontier of the mid-1800s, and through lands the likes of Daniel Boone and countless others
pioneered in the 1700s, before arriving at the Atlantic Ocean near some of the oldest and best-preserved colonial-era landscapes in the USA. Source: http://www.roadtripusa.com/us_50/index.html

so Sabrina -- u might have a better idea perhaps q

u mentioned from MA to CA --

this is known as "The Oregon Trail" aka Rt 20 from MA to CA and the milage is about the same

US-20: THE OREGON TRAIL

From the wide-open spaces of the West to the dense urban jungles of the East, this route offers the longest and most involved road trip in the book. Connecting an exceedingly diverse range of places and totaling over 3,200 miles—many more if you count all the potential detours, side trips, and parallel routes—US-20 takes in a little of everything during its two-lane trek from Oregon’s rugged coast to the glorious sea and sand of Cape Cod. Superlative sights include at least two wonders of the world, New York’s Niagara Falls and Wyoming’s Yellowstone National Park; the great cities of Boston and Chicago; and two halls of fame, one in Cleveland celebrating rock ’n’ roll, the other in Cooperstown idolizing the national pastime, baseball. Odd museums, classic diners, idyllic towns, and post-industrial decay—you’ll find it all along this great cross-country highway. Source: http://www.roadtripusa.com/us_20/index.html

I saw on abc,nbc or cbs news the weather scientist said that it was 500 miles from where the center of earthquake under water that pushed the water to go everywhere so that is how the biggest wave tide go to any shores. I am glad to hear that America are helping donations to Tsuamni countries that it showed the world that USA is not a suck and I knew that iraq people who lived there some of them are good ppl that know about USA that is peace but with bad ppl they hated USA but since Tsuamni I wondered how they feel and honor usa armies more. and not be afraid to shake usa armies hands if they were at there iraq with children. I am glad to see on tv that marines helped a lot of things to tsuamni and I am sure famous ppl have enough to help and so the whole world to give and pray too.

How Big Was The Recent Sumatra Quake?

The recent Sumatra earthquake displaced a section of the ocean floor over 700 miles long and 10 miles wide, nearly 100 feet upward. An equal amount of ocean water on the order of 135 cubic miles was moved violently upward and outward. This massive plunger type motion created huge tsunami waves that brought devastation to coastlines 4,000 miles away. On a map of the world it is hard to gain a sense of how big this thing was. So, on a map of the United States AccuWeather.com has placed the entire length of the fault segment that shifted. As you can clearly see, it is huge covering a distance from Chicago all the way to Denver or from New York City all the way to St. Louis.

A devastating earthquake occurred in the Indian Ocean just off the coast of Sumatra Saturday night. The quake, rated at a magnitude 9.0, is the most powerful recorded worldwide since 1964. Taking place at a depth of 6.2 miles below the surface of the ocean, the quake caused a severe deformation in the seafloor which displaced 135 cubic miles of water upward and outward much like what a massive plunger would do. This created massive waves called tsunamis that moved outward in all directions bringing devastation and even death to coastlines up to 4,000 miles away

Attachments

• 82.jpg
    82.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 83.jpg
    83.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2
Back