How to sign "Forum"

Like FAMILY?
That's what I thought, too, but I'm still confused about the form/forum thingy.

It's difficult for members of this forum to form a consensus about the correct form to use for the sign "forum" which looks like the sign "form" when formed with the two "F" hands.

:dizzy:

it could be shared within 'Form' and 'Forum' - at the least some signs are shared.

That's what I thought, too, but I'm still confused about the form/forum thingy.

It's difficult for members of this forum to form a consensus about the correct form to use for the sign "forum" which looks like the sign "form" when formed with the two "F" hands.

:dizzy:
agreed

Are we going to have a heated debate here, boult?

The lady (a CODA, I believe) used sign for forum similar to the one we are on now. Look at the clip after 6:15.

[yt]VRaBUfeNfAU[/yt]

The lady (a CODA, I believe) used sign for forum similar to the one we are on now. Look at the clip after 6:15.

[yt]VRaBUfeNfAU[/yt]
Yes (she's not CODA) notice that she spelled first before using descriptive sign like sign square then "ping" from each side then when she used the word again, she only spelled.

I don't really think the sign itself matters as long as the participants are all on the same page. Sometimes technology moves so quickly that minority languages are challenged to keep up.

I'm just pointing out that I believe the origin of the sign FORM for the concept "Internet forum" is based initially in the sounds of the words "form" and "forum." They are too easy to mistake for one another for me to think that it's some other coincidence that the sign has come to mean the concept -- even among people who consider themselves "true ASL" (whatever that even means anymore).

Just my thoughts; I'm not arguing with anyone. I interpreted a cooking class for a student who signed FLOWER for "flour" (the words are homonyms, meaning they sound exactly alike) and that's what this reminds me of.

[yt]VRaBUfeNfAU[/yt]

:ty: For sharing Brian :)

That is Barb DiGiovanni, she is deaf herself, and she is a great vlogger!

I would have done the sign "forum" in one of two ways. I would always fingerspell "F-O-R-U-M" first before I made the sign for the first time.

1) Like the FORM sign but using 4 handshape instead. Start with the left hand pinky touching the right hand pointer finger, the left hand should be on top. Palms should be facing you, left fingertips pointing right, right fingertips pointing left. Move hands out and down as in FORM. The reason for this sign is that it shows the thread listing of the forum.

2) Hands start out the same way as above. Left hand stays in place, right hand moves down. This is basically the same sign for LONG-LIST and it has the same origin, showing the listing of threads. But of coruse, spelling F-O-R-U-M first for clarification.

Back