How much will you spend on holiday gifts this year?

How much will you spend on holiday gifts this year?

• Less than $100

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • $100 to $249.99

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • $250 to $499.99

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • $500 to $999.99

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • $1,000 to $1,999.99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than $2,000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
...Let me tell you the story about my childhood at Christmas twice. I came home from boarding school find no christmas spirits around the home - Nothing... but saw mother lied on the couch drunk everyday like that. My siblings & I were alone on Xmas Day to wish each other Merry Xmas including gifts, we made at school. We left gifts for our mother on the kitchen table... We were alone and watch on TV... until the door bell rang. It´s my neighbor who want to wish us Merry Xmas and shock to see no spirits in our home... and mother was still in the bed so neighbor took us over her house to celebrate Xmas with her & family. I never, never, never forget how wonderful neighbor was to us... We still contact... My neighbor lady *B* died of lung cancer in 1995 and husband *B* died of heart attack in 1998. I still contact with their children where we grow up together. They are married and have their own families... I got Xmas card from them last week... I never forget when I look at card... Can you image how terrible feeling to have my mother who did not tried to make christmas spirits and good feeling?
I'm so sorry that you had such awful experiences, but it's wonderful that the neighbor was so sweet. Sometimes when we share Christmas with "family" it doesn't always mean blood-related family. :)

Thank you for sharing your experience. :hug:

Thanks guys, I'll be okay. we'll think of something, Wendy your story made me really sad, only if I knew you were going through this, we could have send something to you and your family for Christmas, I remember all the stories you posted about your son and everything, you're one brave mom there! :hug:

Liebling, so sad to hear about your mom, you got a nice neighbor, there's a man who lives three houses down from us, he lives alone, has health problems, every year we go to his house with a plate of Christmas cookies and a card, same with the lady across the street from where he is, so they know we are thinking of them over the holiday season. We always tell them if they need anything, let us know.

Another thing I'm curious about the part you said you give your boys 150 each, and they spend it before Christmas, does that mean they do not open gifts on Christmas day?.

...I know the feeling.. I felt that when my son sean was in hospital, My husband and I went thru hardship for these thing that included bills etc..
By your support thru your son's medical problems, you have given him the gift of life (again). :hug:

I'm sure the real celebration for your family will be spending Christmas together at home, not in a hospital. :)

Liebling.. Likely eh.. surprised your son loved southpole clothes looks so neat... Extacty my daughter's type of kind colors looks of southpole.. She loves Nightmare before the Christmas and Dark Clothes looks like Goth.. but not..
That why I will give to her $ during Christmas Day.. She'll going Christmas boxing day at Urban Planets, Stitches and other brand store prefer reasonable price than SNOB pricey..

My 3rd Son doesn't care all about clothes looks.. I'm glad, I can buy him flexible any kinds clothes.. As same thing little bit Older son too but sometime depend his taste of clothes.

Thanks guys, I'll be okay. we'll think of something, Wendy your story made me really sad, only if I knew you were going through this, we could have send something to you and your family for Christmas, I remember all the stories you posted about your son and everything, you're one brave mom there! :hug:

Yes I also agree that Wendy are brave mother, too.

Liebling, so sad to hear about your mom, you got a nice neighbor, there's a man who lives three houses down from us, he lives alone, has health problems, every year we go to his house with a plate of Christmas cookies and a card, same with the lady across the street from where he is, so they know we are thinking of them over the holiday season. We always tell them if they need anything, let us know.

Yes I know that we are lucky to have caring neighbor. It´s sweet of you to think of people.

Another thing I'm curious about the part you said you give your boys 150 each, and they spend it before Christmas, does that mean they do not open gifts on Christmas day?.

No, I do not give money to my boys but told them that they can spend up to $150. They let me know what they wants. Danny know what he wants is order "SouthPole" Designer clothes with 70% discount via internet. He did it himself up to $150 and then let me know that he finished with order list then I do is transfer from my PayPal account over their bank account. The parcel was delivered within 2 days later that´s time my boys were still at school. He didn´t see or touch clothes. I hide the parcel until Danny can see the clothes on Xmas Day... (Yes he know what he wants but not see or touch). It does the same with Alan as well. He won at xbox with 12 games as well. I transfer amount from my bank account over ebayer´s Bank account. Parcel arrived, Danny check and said Xbox and 12 games are okay... then hide the parcel as well. Alan did not see or touch xbox yet... I cant wait to see their reaction when they open the parcel and see/touch ...

awww :ty: , Reba :hug:

Yes, I know how you feeling, Wendy :hug: I didn´t forget about your posts about your son...

Liebling.. Likely eh.. surprised your son loved southpole clothes looks so neat... Extacty my daughter's type of kind colors looks of southpole.. She loves Nightmare before the Christmas and Dark Clothes looks like Goth.. but not..
That why I will give to her $ during Christmas Day.. She'll going Christmas boxing day at Urban Planets, Stitches and other brand store prefer reasonable price than SNOB pricey..

My 3rd Son doesn't care all about clothes looks.. I'm glad, I can buy him flexible any kinds clothes.. As same thing little bit Older son too but sometime depend his taste of clothes.

Yeah, Southpole designer clothes look not bad to me... it´s really neat... wow your daughter has the same taste as my son... wow... My son receive catolgue every monthly and also commerical as well... posters etc... with special offer, etc. My son know that I only buy special offer for that southpole designer clothes.

Interesting and good stories that some shared here, not everyone has all the money in the world, and I know I don't. I've tried to saved much as I could, Christmas isn't all about how much you've spend on each person anyways, it's what the thought counts even if parents cannot afford Christmas, they can find other ways to celebrate Christmas, by playing board games with their children, have a nice Christmas dinner, a Christmas breakfast and watching one of any famous Christmas movies.(A Christmas Story is one. ;))

And Yes, I know that Christmas isn't all about presents, like some people thinks it is.

All I want for Christmas is having a group of Christmas choirs standing out my front window and singing Christmas songs in sign language on a Christmas morning--That would be one of the best Christmas gift. ;)

I have always told eveyone in my family and friends as well that I don't expect anything for christmas. My best gift was and always will that I am still alive from near death. Also my other great gift is that God gave me a wonderful wife, 2 daughters, 4 animals, a home, and Jesus Christ. Christmas to me isn't about materialist things, it's about love and sharing the gift of Life.

$0 spend on Christmas gifts. We all will celebrate Jesus Christ's 2006th birthday this year!

Well we are spending $ 0.00 on Christmas gifts this year.

We could have bought some things but after buying a business, having a heart attack in August and going through the December 2-3rd windstorm, we decided that economically we would be better off if we forgo all the Christmas gift giving!

So....Merry Christmas is all you get from me! :)

Although we do have our tree up and once I figure out how to operate the digital camera, I'll post the picture. :)

I have spent around 250-500 on Christmas gifts for everyone, my DD, mum, dad, and brother, as well as my grandparents. Probably too much, but I love them and I feel that they deserve it.

I know I spent waaay too much on my DD, but thats the way it should be. this is going to be one of those Christmases where everyone is done opening gifts and we are going to be watching my DD finished opening all of hers.

Of course we have been through some rough times over the last 4 years. It all started with the end of my marriage and the loss of my house, so I finally got me a job that lasted more than just a couple of months and so now I guess I am trying to make up for all those Christmases and birthdays where I could not get her much, and my gifts were also overshadowed by the better gifts of my parents and brother. It was hard but I always tried my hardest to make sure that my DD knows I love her despite my shortcomings as a parent.

So far I have spent between $150 to $200. Mostly my family would like to get the gift card because I do not know what they want. I spend about $25 to $30 each person. I think this year are a little worse than last year because since I have to pay little bit more money for the food and gasoline. The gas price drive me crazy! And everything else cost more than I expected.

lets see I got a big jar of Foldgers coffee for my parents and a fake fruit basket for my godmother Anne and a pack of 16 Christmas cards and stamps for that for everyone else, about $40.00 bucks this year. Hubby don't want anything except his work visa renewed and he has to pay for that so we are all good this year. ( he is British)

Back