How many of you rarely meet/know deaf people in your whole life?

Hey Jiro, can you tell us a bit more about "Continuing Education"? How would I sign up? It seems kind of interesting. Is it less formal than the Harvard class?
yes. it is more informal and cheaper. a casual environment.

Also, can you give some more details about the DPHH? What day is it? Seems like a good opportunity to network.

go to your facebook and search for "Boston DPHH" and "DC DPHH" and we have NJ DPHH too hosted by Alex (owner of this forum)

when? I don't know. Simply sign up to those groups and they will notify you in email for date.

About 15 years ago I had a deaf friend. And my grandmother was deaf.
Hope that I understood right what you were asking:D

Funny story

I actually never knew any deaf or HoH growing up. But you guys are gonna love this...So I decided to get my signing badge in Brownies (7 yrs old) and over the years picked up a few other signs here and there from Sesame street and books etc...now remember when I tell you this that I only became Deaf in the last few yrs, yes that's right I used to be gasp, sob..a hearie:jaw:
So flash forward and I'm in the bar with my best friend (age 21) and we used to mostly sign in the bar even tho we both can hear. Just way easier and less screaming involved..I see cute guy, cute guy asks me to dance...we dance and as we get off the dance floor Cute guy (now ex husband) screams to me "Wow you dance really well for a deaf girl!":dance::-o I lmao and told him that 1) I wasn't deaf and 2) I dance pretty damn good period! Who knew that 20 yrs later I was going to need those signs and yes I still dance really well for a deaf girl!:rockon: I've only met another deafie in the past 6 months and as I live in a fairly small city it turns out that there are about 15 of us and they have Deaf club here...been once but I feel kinda awkward cause my signing isn't as good as thiers...all born deaf..so ASL first language to them. But there's an outing (to a bar hee hee) on Nov 13 and I am going to go to that one.

"Wow you dance really well for a deaf girl".
Why can't people just be normal and says "Wow, you dance good!"

This is so confusing. First of all, Is he saying deaf girls bad dancers and you don't dance like a deaf girl (you dance more like a hearing person)?

Second, is he saying you don't dance well enough for a hearing girl? Meaning you are not a good dancer at all but according to his standard of deaf girls, he thinks you dance really well?

I actually never knew any deaf or HoH growing up. But you guys are gonna love this...So I decided to get my signing badge in Brownies (7 yrs old) and over the years picked up a few other signs here and there from Sesame street and books etc...now remember when I tell you this that I only became Deaf in the last few yrs, yes that's right I used to be gasp, sob..a hearie:jaw:
So flash forward and I'm in the bar with my best friend (age 21) and we used to mostly sign in the bar even tho we both can hear. Just way easier and less screaming involved..I see cute guy, cute guy asks me to dance...we dance and as we get off the dance floor Cute guy (now ex husband) screams to me "Wow you dance really well for a deaf girl!":dance::-o I lmao and told him that 1) I wasn't deaf and 2) I dance pretty damn good period! Who knew that 20 yrs later I was going to need those signs and yes I still dance really well for a deaf girl!:rockon: I've only met another deafie in the past 6 months and as I live in a fairly small city it turns out that there are about 15 of us and they have Deaf club here...been once but I feel kinda awkward cause my signing isn't as good as thiers...all born deaf..so ASL first language to them. But there's an outing (to a bar hee hee) on Nov 13 and I am going to go to that one.

In Lethbridge?

Why can't people just be normal and says "Wow, you dance good!"

This is so confusing. First of all, Is he saying deaf girls bad dancers and you don't dance like a deaf girl (you dance more like a hearing person)?

Second, is he saying you don't dance well enough for a hearing girl? Meaning you are not a good dancer at all but according to his standard of deaf girls, he thinks you dance really well?

Yeah..my thoughts exactly!! I was thinking WTF?! I did get him to explain and he said that I was a really great dancer (not meaning to brag but yes I am) and it helps that I've been told by others and not just my mom...:D and he was just shocked that a deaf girl could dance at all let alone in beat to the music. What can I say except there's a reason he's an ex!

We have a thread for that.

II have actually never met another hoh person. Even at school i was the only person who was hoh which people didnt really notice as i spoke well with a slight lisp and i could lip read quite well. I would of loved to have at least had someone who i could relate to

Some hearing people are idiots...my best friend who was born profoundly deaf grew up as a dancer. She competed in national dancing competitions for the city of Phx.

Back