How many of you rarely meet/know deaf people in your whole life?

Until just two years ago, I had only met a handful of deaf/hoh people in my entire life, and they were only fleeting acquaintances at that. Then I started learning ASL, tutoring deaf students in English, and started going to Deaf events. It's been a great journey so far, and it promises to get even better.

Including meeting several of my friends! :)

Uh oh. Why ???

Just lets start this off with...

I had one dude drink two bottles of beer from Avery, and a shot of good whisky... He ended up being really really drunk, puking his guts out. I really hope he remembers watching matt hamill fight.

Including meeting several of my friends! :)

Yup, and your friends were all very nice and cool! If I move to DC next year, I hope to hang out with all of you often! :wave:

Just lets start this off with...

I had one dude drink two bottles of beer from Avery, and a shot of good whisky... He ended up being really really drunk, puking his guts out. I really hope he remembers watching matt hamill fight.

Sheesh, give me a little more credit. I think I can handle two beers and shot. That's barely enough to prime the engine.

Yup, and your friends were all very nice and cool! If I move to DC next year, I hope to hang out with all of you often! :wave:

Sheesh, give me a little more credit. I think I can handle two beers and shot. That's barely enough to prime the engine.

:) Not when its a 2004 beast. 22 oz of 18.1% abv

:) Not when its a 2004 beast. 22 oz of 18.1% abv

Ahhh, well this certainly changes things. I think I could handle more than a couple, but your friend was still a pretty brave fellow.

You bringing some of those bad boys to Chicago?

Ahhh, well this certainly changes things. I think I could handle more than a couple, but your friend was still a pretty brave fellow.

You bringing some of those bad boys to Chicago?

Thinking about it. $49 a bottle though.

Have 3 left.

I will def bring the 2010 beast. 12 oz. Some good Belgians, A couple of my favorites...

Just to give a sampler.

50$ for a bottle of beer???? That's a goddamn crime. I'll pass. Bring the Belgians though. Love me some Belgians...

I never knew any other deaf people while growing up. My father was HOH, but was just like a hearing person. It wasn't until I had moved to Missouri that I saw the first person IRL use ASL. That was in 1996, after I was married and had 2 children.

I can't say I know that many deaf people. I did meet some in high school but our personalities weren't really that compatible so we never got to know each other that well. I also met some at AG Bell in 2006 who I sometimes talk to over Facebook (but we also drifted apart over time)

One of the disadvantages of MIT is that there really aren't that many disabled people here. Specifically for CI wearers there's just me, Sheila, and one other who graduated last semester.

Does anyone know of ways to meet more deaf people? Like organizations in the Boston area? (Or in the DC area, where I live when not at college)?

I can't say I know that many deaf people. I did meet some in high school but our personalities weren't really that compatible so we never got to know each other that well. I also met some at AG Bell in 2006 who I sometimes talk to over Facebook (but we also drifted apart over time)

One of the disadvantages of MIT is that there really aren't that many disabled people here. Specifically for CI wearers there's just me, Sheila, and one other who graduated last semester.

Does anyone know of ways to meet more deaf people? Like organizations in the Boston area? (Or in the DC area, where I live when not at college)?

plenty!!!! Boston University has a big deaf program. Gally is a deaf college in DC. Plenty of deafies!

Boston and DC both have a DPHH (Deaf Professional Happy Hour) once a month. I believe I will take you and sheila there for November - either DC or Boston. I know both of you can't sign but I will help both of you.

The only reason why you haven't met many deafies is because you limited yourself to speaking-only. You will not find that many deafies who can communicate that way at your age.

plenty!!!! Boston University has a big deaf program. Gally is a deaf college in DC. Plenty of deafies!

Boston and DC both have a DPHH (Deaf Professional Happy Hour) once a month. I believe I will take you and sheila there for November - either DC or Boston. I know both of you can't sign but I will help both of you.

The only reason why you haven't met many deafies is because you limited yourself to speaking-only. You will not find that many deafies who can communicate that way at your age.

RRaja and I should both take ASL classes in Boston area once I return to MIT. I think there's ASL classes at Harvard....it would be better if they were on Fridays and weekends...as to not to worry about exams or psets due next day on the weekdays. LOL

There's the Harvard one RRaja and I can take one day...
CODA | Classes

I know there's Boston University and Northeastern, but I looked up to see if MIT has any cross-registration agreement with them (like MIT does with Harvard, Wellesley, and MassArt) and I don't see any with BU and NU, so it looks like the Harvard option is the cheapest unless anybody know more about BU and NU ASL classes?

RRaja and I should both take ASL classes in Boston area once I return to MIT. I think there's ASL classes at Harvard....it would be better if they were on Fridays and weekends...as to not to worry about exams or psets due next day on the weekdays. LOL

There's the Harvard one RRaja and I can take one day...
CODA | Classes

I know there's Boston University and Northeastern, but I looked up to see if MIT has any cross-registration agreement with them (like MIT does with Harvard, Wellesley, and MassArt) and I don't see any with BU and NU, so it looks like the Harvard option is the cheapest unless anybody know more about BU and NU ASL classes?

it is best to take the "Continuing Education" course instead of formal courses because it's usually for terps.. which costs a lot more. You'll have to ask around... or even network around especially at DPHH because the chance is - you'll bump into someone who is a faculty or a person with authority for deaf programs who can let you in for free. You can ask your department dean about it too. Chance is he/she may knows one there who can get you in for free or discounted price.

it is best to take the "Continuing Education" course instead of formal courses because it's usually for terps.. which costs a lot more. You'll have to ask around... or even network around especially at DPHH because the chance is - you'll bump into someone who is a faculty or a person with authority for deaf programs who can let you in for free. You can ask your department dean about it too. Chance is he/she may knows one there who can get you in for free or discounted price.

Can you tell me a bit more about "Continuing Education"? This is the first I've heard of it. I'm guessing it's more for people like us rather than interpreters who learn ASL to use it professionally? Is it less formal?

btw, do you know what day the DPHH is? It seems pretty interesting.

Hey Jiro, can you tell us a bit more about "Continuing Education"? How would I sign up? It seems kind of interesting. Is it less formal than the Harvard class?

Also, can you give some more details about the DPHH? What day is it? Seems like a good opportunity to network.

Back