How many of you rarely meet/know deaf people in your whole life?

Count me out. I ve been interacting with deaf kiddos since I was a toddler. I was in deaf schools all my life. My only experience that I was in hearing school for the first semester. that was it.

Count me out. I ve been interacting with deaf kiddos since I was a toddler. I was in deaf schools all my life. My only experience that I was in hearing school for the first semester. that was it.

You are so fortunate!! :D

I checked Boston U, and see if Ben Behan still works there. Nope apparently He isn't in there anymore. I think He's at Gallaudet U now. But you still can find the ASL teachers at B.U.

I don't know. eh. haha

but you are going to meet more deafies soon because you are on AD. Well I think if I will be fortunate to meet you in person. :D

Yes, I am glad to have AD. Thank you, it would be nice to meet you in person too someday, would look forward to it.

Hrmm...I googled for ASL clasees near to my home. There doesn't seem to be one. The nearest one is in Hartford or more towards NYC area. I guess I'll have to stick with online or take ASL classes at Harvard when I return to MIT.

:) ASL classes and research is huge in Boston. A lot of research and writings I come across is from Boston Univ.

I see others have mentioned it. :)

Good luck to you.

I haven't met any other deaf people from AD (and haven't come across anybody from northern Ireland yet) but I do have a deaf friend in college which helps

hi tech asl learning

since shelia attends MIT and MIT is well known for it's brilliant students and staff it would seem the school can experiment on our dear shelia. you know, twiddle around with her CI so that she can learn ASL without having to actually learn ASL. i would be honored to be a part of the team to stick wires in her ears and brain stem to teach her ASL.:dunno:

I think I should take sheila to Boston DPHH in November just to break some ice :)

since shelia attends MIT and MIT is well known for it's brilliant students and staff it would seem the school can experiment on our dear shelia. you know, twiddle around with her CI so that she can learn ASL without having to actually learn ASL. i would be honored to be a part of the team to stick wires in her ears and brain stem to teach her ASL.:dunno:

with iphone :)

yeah he's right. i cant' remember what the asl teacher's name i think something with Ben. He's an awesome one. I used to live in boston, actually it was in brighton. I lived there for less than a year. There are tons of deaf people working at the Learning center school in farmingham. If your major has something that matchs at school then you could have a short time as an internship there so that way you could have advantage of learning ASL from there. It's up to you.

Interesting proposition. Farmingham is quite far from Boston, isn't it?

and my current major is "Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences", but I"m also considering "Urban Studies and Planning" major as well.

Interesting proposition. Farmingham is quite far from Boston, isn't it?

and my current major is "Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences", but I"m also considering "Urban Studies and Planning" major as well.

Framingham (at least I assume you're talking about Fram (vs. Farm) ingham is about 25 minutes out of Boston.

(I used to go to Boston all the time, my ex-husband was from there -- a town about 40 minutes out, so we passed through Framingham every time.)

Framingham (at least I assume you're talking about Fram (vs. Farm) ingham is about 25 minutes out of Boston.

(I used to go to Boston all the time, my ex-husband was from there -- a town about 40 minutes out, so we passed through Framingham every time.)

Well, the thing is, I don't have a car. =/

I don't recommend taking ASL class at school where there is no deaf students. Best to take it at Boston University with strong deaf program. It's comical to learn ASL from hearie.

Actually, it's also comical to learn ASL from a deaf person. The misunderstandings between the deaf teacher and hearing students are pretty funny. It's all good natured. Learned a lot more with him than with the level 1 teacher who is hearing.

Back