How is your relationship with your GP ?

Giulia

Reaction score
Hello,
I thought to ask you to describe your relationship with your GP.
A man or a woman ? How old ? How do you feel with him/her ? Which style of his practice ?

Here I am, trying to have a start ;)
My GP is a lady, in her 50'es. I feel very confident with her, and as she told me, she is confident with me (she told me once : "I can get confident with you because you check everything twice instead of once", ok, the translation from French is not the best one but the idea is....).
She never beats around the bush : she agrees, she tells it, she doesn't agree, she also tells it. But she doesn't scold a patient very often : in 1 year, I could hear her scolding a patient once, maybe twice (which is not often). She does it when she can be absolutely certain that the patient doesn't care for his/her health (for example : someone which suffers from asthma and smokes at the same time), and only when there is no other solution than scolding. (Between parenthesis, she had scolded me because I had become too thin last December, and she knew because she knows me quite well that I didn't want to go on diet. She guessed, and she was right, that I was acting as a careless one, and she hates when a patient acts as totally careless... I didn't like to be scolded by her, and I hate recognize it, but she was absolutely right and I can't say she was wrong scolding me !!)
This way of doing may not suit everyone (it doesn't suit my mom or my sister, my mother doesn't feel at ease with her and that's why she changed when she was diagnosed with her diabetes), but for me, it suits me very well :)
She has never acted as : "Do what I say, not what I do" (I think that her husband acts like that, but I can't be certain at 100% ;) ) : if she asks her patients not to smoke, she won't do it (she never smells tobacco or so on).

=> No reason to change GP : never change a winner team :)

If my GP scolded me, I'd probably switch doctors. I think there's a way to go about saying you're not being responsible for your health without reprimanding the patient.

Yep, GP = General Practitioner :)

CJB, I accept being scolded by her because :
- she does it only when there is a very very good reason : you've done something you don't have to do and you know it's harmful for your health
- it's the last solution she uses, when other solutions are not an option.
And I know, because I know her and she also told me it, that she does it because she worries for you. It's in my interest when she scolds me, she doesn't do it because she likes doing it (she hates it, but sometimes.... That's maybe why she scolds a patient once, maybe twice a year....)
But you need to use the scolding with caution, because it's like using ammonia : if misused, it is harmful.
Same for scolding a patient : you have to use it sensibily, otherwise, it makes more harm than good.

I don't accept being scolded from a doctor without a very good reason. For example, if a doctor scolds me because I refuse to lie in a health form for administration or insurance, I switch doctor, this is obvious for me.

But I don't have a harsh opinion on scolding a patient, it's more a case by case.
I believe there is no simple answer.....

I don't believe in assumptions, not everyone reads one's mind at same page. GP can mean anything,

It is very important that the defination is to add to any abbreviate so that reader can understand. Once the defination is add in the beginning then no need to explain again in same thread.

I'm pretty sure she means a doctor, a General Practitioner.

I don't believe in assumptions, not everyone reads one's mind at same page. GP can mean anything,

It is very important that the defination is to add to any abbreviate so that reader can understand. Once the defination is add in the beginning then no need to explain again in same thread.

I didn't know that in English, GP can have more than one meaning !! :O

French is my mother tongue, and in French, SNCF has only one meaning (it's the French train society).
I thought it was the same for GP in English :Oops:

I didn't say you should assume. I got what GP is from the content of the message.......it was so obvious. I was just trying to help.....

I have not gone to my GP as of yet for myself. My insurance doesn't start until 2/1/10. My GP will be the same as my mother's and he is a very nice doctor. He quietly scolds when he schedules tests and you don't follow through, but when he found that the reason we didn't follow through was insurance wouldn't pay, then he apologized and moved on. The main reason I chose him for myself and hubby and children (teens) is his office is deaf friendly. One of the only ones here in town. He has over 100 deaf patients and all of his staff is very knowledgeable in ASL as is he.

Its no big deal, it is just a courstey because this forum is globally so anyone can see it. Not everyone would figure out, guess I was one of them. Thanks for clarification.

I didn't say you should assume. I got what GP is from the content of the message.......it was so obvious. I was just trying to help.....

Yep, GP = General Practitioner :)

CJB, I accept being scolded by her because :
- she does it only when there is a very very good reason : you've done something you don't have to do and you know it's harmful for your health
- it's the last solution she uses, when other solutions are not an option.
And I know, because I know her and she also told me it, that she does it because she worries for you. It's in my interest when she scolds me, she doesn't do it because she likes doing it (she hates it, but sometimes.... That's maybe why she scolds a patient once, maybe twice a year....)
But you need to use the scolding with caution, because it's like using ammonia : if misused, it is harmful.
Same for scolding a patient : you have to use it sensibily, otherwise, it makes more harm than good.

I don't accept being scolded from a doctor without a very good reason. For example, if a doctor scolds me because I refuse to lie in a health form for administration or insurance, I switch doctor, this is obvious for me.

But I don't have a harsh opinion on scolding a patient, it's more a case by case.
I believe there is no simple answer.....

Well I'm glad it works for you. As for me, I'd rather just have a doctor tell me they've done all they can do, try to tell me in all the ways they can, that it's in my best interest to do whatever it is I need to do. I'd rather someone explain all those reasons to me than scold me. Some of it might be a question of personal taste, and it might also be a cultural difference. :dunno:

My GP is a guy in his 60's and practices family medicine. He's sensitive to my communication needs and takes the time to make sure that I understand what he is saying.

Too many doctors talk too fast for me to lip-read and rush through appointments. So, it's hard to find a doc that I can lip-read. Having a person with me doesn't help much because I don't feel like I'm getting the best care if I feel like I can't connect with my doctor. So, I have to have a doc that is willing to take the time and a little bit of effort. I'm not asking for much.

I trust my GP because he has shown that he cares about my well-being. When I was still in the MRI scanner and they found a lesion in my brain, they immediately called up my doc, who in turn got me an emergency admit to a university hospital hours away from where I live. He took the time in his busy schedule to get me the care that I needed and fast.

I could get a GP closer to where I live, so my hubby wouldn't have to take off work to take me to the doc. I don't drive due to medical reasons. I couldn't change GP's because I really trust my current GP. Even though the 45-minute drive is not a big deal, it's still a hassle to arrange an appointment when I have to have my hubby to take me. I have no one else available to take me and I hate using resources. I wish I could drive, but weird stuff happens when I drive.

Well, my GP doesn't actually "scold". She just gives a firm look and says whatever needs to be said.....And she's a woman....I've yet to find a GP that will actually follow up on what she preaches! So it gives me the impression that what's she has said prior needs not to be repeated.
I feel that most people who have a really understanding and patient GP, who communicates very well, are very lucky.

Also note that not everybody has a GP (general practicioner) as [their] PCP (primary care physision). Their "main" doc can be FNP (nurse practicioner), Internal Med doc, Family practice, pediatrician, endocrinologist, etc etc, depending on a number of existing conditions and or cormorbidities.

Anyways; my PCP and I are good friends, visit awhile when we see each other at work, go golfing together in summers, so its kinda lot more informal thing for me. He's an extremely trustworthy person and personable and patient with clients which are wonderful qualities in any physician.

Wow, Doug. I thought it was unethical to have a friendship relationship with a doctor. I think I've screwed up somewhere with my memory. LOL. Me and my jello-brain. Hee hee. But I do know that it's not a good idea for docs to treat their own family members.

Wow, Doug. I thought it was unethical to have a friendship relationship with a doctor. I think I've screwed up somewhere with my memory. LOL. Me and my jello-brain. Hee hee. But I do know that it's not a good idea for docs to treat their own family members.

then doc shouldn't have any friends? lol. my ex-gf is a dentist and that's where I get my free routine.

Docs are just people too, and we simply have formed friendship though our contact in our professions. We don't discuss medical topics during recreation activities, just discuss normal everyday life stuff. Personal medical topics are discussed in hospital or in office still.

I hated my previous doctor. He was too hard to understand so my mum always had to come with me so she can tell me what he said. He always used to act cocky and thinked he knows everything. I have no met my new doctor yet.

I had to get a new doctor when I moved. I have this lady doctor for a year and I am getting used to her speech. She talks fast. She seems decent. The fact she is skinny tells me she practices what she tells her patients. She explained why I have to have this blood test or that blood test.

Back