How is your relationship with your GP ?

Well I'm glad it works for you. As for me, I'd rather just have a doctor tell me they've done all they can do, try to tell me in all the ways they can, that it's in my best interest to do whatever it is I need to do. I'd rather someone explain all those reasons to me than scold me. Some of it might be a question of personal taste, and it might also be a cultural difference. :dunno:

I don't think it's only a matter of cultural difference.
The matter is I have been scolded from her because I became too thin without any medical reason (there was no illness which explained that I could become too thin), and I already knew that I was absolutely wrong to do what I did (I didn't want to get thin like that, stress is, for me, a very powerful appetite suppressant to me) : I have been told the reasons since I was a child, even at maybe 9 or 10 yo. So I knew perfectly that I was wrong and why I was absolutely wrong.
That's why she has scolded me : I knew I was wrong, I knew why I was wrong so, it was obvious for her (and also for me) that I perfectly deserved to be scolded, even if I hate recognizing it....
Since she doesn't do it often (once, maybe twice a year), that she does it when she has no other solution, that also she does it when the patient knows how and why he's wrong, that she recognizes without any problem when you're right, being scolded by her is not a real problem, even if no one likes being scolded by someone else (esp. a physician).

But a physician has to be cautious before scolding a patient, as it may do more harm than good.
That's why I like to analyze the why I accept being scolded than her, like that, you understand that it's more than only a cultural difference ;)

I will stop being dithyrambic now about her because when I start, I can't stop ;)

I also like my GP because she accepts me with all my atypicity.
Atypicity because first of all, two diagnoses of Single Sided Deafness and ADHD (a sensorial disability and a learning disability is not a very often seen association of diagnoses : my GP told me it, my ENT doc told me it and my psychiatrist (for ADHD) told me it).
Atypical also because learning 3 foreign languages with a hearing impairment is not something she has seen often (maybe I am her first patient like that).
Atypicity because I react very strangely to many meds, vaccines etc...
Many doctors I've seen (especially GPs) have no idea on how to react with me. She doesn't have the science, and maybe someone else would have managed as well as her but differently, but physician who know how to manage me is something very rare ! :O

She is also often very surprise on how can I manage both of these diagnoses.
I remember once that she was worried because I have no checks (only a credit card). I replied to her that I don't have checks because after, I don't follow well my bank accounts and I mix up everything.
Her concern changed to a : "I don't know how can you manage your disability like that !", on a very surprised tone. She thought the bank took me away the checks, instead, I refused them myself to manage better my account.
Or when we talked about the fact that I have no relationship any more with my father (I can't consider him as a father, he is only a male parent : he was there to create me, but didn't assume nothing toward me, and not the disability !). She told me that she wondered how could I handle this fact without taking it as a catastrophe, like the vast majority of people.
(Between parenthesis, I would be told I'd die tomorrow from tetanus because of paralyzed airway and with terrible suffering, I would say it's a catastrophe. Otherwise, I can't manage any more now to take things as a catastrophe, even when the ENT doc and the geneticist told me that my deafness may worsen in case of pregnancy and, from here, to refuse it. A friend considered as a catastrophe, but objectively, you have no obligation to be pregnant to be a mother, so for me, this is not a catastrophe, and not a life catastrophe).
Sad sometimes yes, like anyone on the Earth, but I always find some means to take back some energy and go ahead.

She taught me so much, even when I was a child (she cared me when I was a child, then mom changed GP because of matters between mom and the GP. I found her back because I was feeling like in an urgent way I needed to know pieces of my story that I couldn't know otherwise. I don't exactly remember how did the confidence relationship built back, but it was quite quick and we are totally confident each other).
I think it reminded me back when I went back to her : be positive and also very patient.
The skill of patience has been more concrete with her : it was quite theorical before, with her it becomes more concrete day after day.

Scolding me is very impressing (for me), but it's only the tiniest part of the relationship.
The rest is that she teaches me a lot (about health and the rest ;) ), she is always positive and when I get back home after seeing her, I am always loaded with energy to battle against disability.
I also like her firm way to say things, I like she recognizes when I'm right, she recognizes when she makes/made a mistake. So recognizing when she is right, when I make a mistake (and when it's a very serious one, I know it is and I know why => she scolds me, I can't say she is wrong, despite I don't like being scolded), that I have to do this even if I don't like it is not so difficult for me : for all these reasons, I know she acts in my own interest, so following her advice is not very difficult (in term of practical stuff, it may be, but trying to follow her advice is not very difficult).

Someone told about communication needs (I absolutely don't remember the nickname, so forgive me).
I don't have real communication needs, but I think she would have adapted herself if required. I just know that when she calls me, I told her that I hear her, but can't locate where she calls me from. She thought I couldn't hear her well, but it's not the case (this makes also my atypicity for her ;) ).

But I really don't know what did I taught her as a patient, and I think to ask her so next time I see her.....

Many doctors don't know how to react to me, either. It can be worse than usual because I also have depression along with my deafness. I had a brain lesion 4 years ago and I went through a lot of testing.

So yes, I'm quite atypical. I've been told this by several docs.

Back