How do you order drinks at a Coffee Shop like Starbucks?

Gab012

Reaction score
Hi my name is Gabby and I am a Barista at a Starbucks in NH. I tend to get a lot of people who are deaf that come in and order drinks, but I have no way to communicate to them since I know very little sign. I tend to just give the customer a piece of paper and have them write it down but I always feel horrible doing that! Is there any generic signs for drinks like lattes, cappuccinos or even frappuccinos? I am going to be taking ASL in college late January and I just can't wait!

In my opinion, since these coffee names are so long and crazy....pen and paper make it easier.

Hi my name is Gabby and I am a Barista at a Starbucks in NH. I tend to get a lot of people who are deaf that come in and order drinks, but I have no way to communicate to them since I know very little sign. I tend to just give the customer a piece of paper and have them write it down but I always feel horrible doing that! Is there any generic signs for drinks like lattes, cappuccinos or even frappuccinos? I am going to be taking ASL in college late January and I just can't wait!
No, in ASL we have to fingerspell those words. To order it, I usually bring my own paper/pen to write it down.

I only got coffee at Starbucks one time . I got hazelnut coffee and it was horrible , I said I wanted no sugar in it and the person did not tell me they added the flavor which is very sweet. Their coffee is waaay overpriced !

I would rather just write it out for you on my mobile device.

There is a much better chance I will get what I want that way.

I would rather just write it out for you on my mobile device.

There is a much better chance I will get what I want that way.

That would had made no difference for me because they add the flavor by pouring it into cup of coffee and the flavors have sugar in them. The person should had told me this as I could made it very clear I did not want my coffee sweet. I never been to Starbucks before and had no idea how they made it. How I do and I will not be going back.

That would had made no difference for me because they add the flavor by pouring it into cup of coffee and the flavors have sugar in them. The person should had told me this as I could made it very clear I did not want my coffee sweet. I never been to Starbucks before and had no idea how they made it. How I do and I will not be going back.

Maybe not the coffee, but how about their hot chocolate? It's been years since I had it. Hmm...... think it's time for me to grab one.

I only got coffee at Starbucks one time . I got hazelnut coffee and it was horrible , I said I wanted no sugar in it and the person did not tell me they added the flavor which is very sweet. Their coffee is waaay overpriced !

The OP is here to find out how to better serve her customers. This is not the place to criticize their coffee. Go to their website & feedback section.

I've been to Starbucks once and writing down is the best way. I do this sometimes if I can't pronounce the names. Paper/pen usually eliminates any misunderstandings.

Thanks for coming here to find out! It shows that you care about the customers. :)

I would think that spelling shortcuts like "frapp, capp, and latte would work just fine......

Too bad they don't number their selections like some Asian restaurants do. It would be easy to either write down a number or hold up the number of fingers.

Too bad they don't number their selections like some Asian restaurants do. It would be easy to either write down a number or hold up the number of fingers.

Yes in many Asian restaurants, coffee shops and franchises etc, they will have a laminated picture card you can point out your desired item.

Yes in many Asian restaurants, coffee shops and franchises etc, they will have a laminated picture card you can point out your desired item.

Exactly. I would prefer paper and pen unless Starbuck have a menu to point out what kind of coffees including sandwiches and rolls to choose from. I like the menu better. If we have to look at the wall of menu, then that is hard so we need to use paper and pen. :(

Starbucks has so many choices. It's just crazy how people order coffee these days.
"I'll have a non fat, double double, no foam, extra blah blah blah

Starbucks has so many choices. It's just crazy how people order coffee these days.
"I'll have a non fat, double double, no foam, extra blah blah blah

:laugh2:...so true!....Gets me tongue-tied trying to pronounce it all....What's happened to the "2 sugars and cream, please"?....Plus, all those names are surely fattening....
My Coffee in the AM is pretty simple...2 sugars and a little extra cream....Out of coffee?.....:mad2:...and I stay grumpy all day.

Lots of tongue and finger twisters!

Thank you guys for the feedback! I always feel bad when I have to have someone write down what they want; I feel rude. So should I put together a menu and get it laminated so people can just check what they want? Would that be easier? Or should I stick to the whole pen and paper?

Thank you guys for the feedback! I always feel bad when I have to have someone write down what they want; I feel rude. So should I put together a menu and get it laminated so people can just check what they want? Would that be easier? Or should I stick to the whole pen and paper?

A numbered menu specifically for the deaf wouldn't be a bad idea. It just might make things go smoother. If I might, you might want to bring that up with corporation, and see what they think. I support it, and approve of it. If you do that, I suggest making numbered options for what they want added, not just the drinks themselves.

Before I started learning ASL, I'd have Deaf people come into my work place( I worked in a gas station at the time) and write things down on paper, which wasn't terrible.

However, these individuals had VERY bad handwriting. It made the transaction even more confusing and we both got frustrated. Learning sign will definitely help you serve them better! The pen and paper thing isn't rude( from what I've seen) , but it can be time consuming.

Also, that laminated menu thing sounds cool. Just get a dry erase marker so they can check off what they want? You're a genius in my opinion.

Back