How do you feel when someone stare at you....

yagazn

Reaction score
So, is it rude to stare? (I know people have the right to look because it's a free country). How do you feel when someone stare at you? because you sign with your friends or whoever.

It happens when one person that is different stands out in front of another who doesn't fully understand what is going on.

Those people who stare at you are probably curious or wondering what it is you're doing with your hands.

I try not to be rude because if that person was interested in ASL, saw me signing and then I flicked them off or something, that's one less hearing person that makes the effort to communicate with Deaf/HoH folk.

It bothers me, sure, but I usually just catch their eye and smile.

I will sometimes watch when I see someone signing in ASL ... I would be like "I wish I could do that" ... but then after a few seconds I will look away because I don't like to stare at people ... XD

the op's post reminds me of the time i attended my first aadb (american association of the deaf-blind) convention. one afternoon my tactile terp and i were sitting on a bench having a conversation when suddenly several sighted-hearing people stopped and began staring at us. because i was totally blind, i was completely unaware of this until my tactile terp told me what was happening. once she told me, i stopped signing, turned in their direction (my terp told me which direction to face) and asked them verbally if they had any questions for me. surprisingly, they did and then apologized for staring. when people stare at me, i could care less because i know they're curious. also, many people have a tendency to stare at my guide dog. my guide dog trainer explained that this is due to the fact that people are curious about the dog and in some cases, may never have seen a guide dog before. if people stare at me, let 'em. after all, they're not hurting anything by doing so.

stop and stare

I am hearing however alot of my friends along w/ 2 of my sisters are deaf. Like the reply above me this post reminds me of a time story. I was @ the mall w/ friends all whom were deaf and we were talking and walking thru the mall just shopping. well all the sudden my friends stopped talking and pointed at some of my hearing friends who were staring. I asked them y and they said they didnt realize deaf people talked so much. i laughed and said ya they communicate just like hearing people do only w/ their hands. I have come to see that 9 times out of 10 when some1 is staring @ me signing or at my friends its because they are either in awe cuz they think its cool or they are wondering what we are doing. i have actually had some1 come up to my sister and ask her to stop talking w/ her hands cuz it was distracting to them. i of course laughed and asked how else she was supposed to talk since she was deaf. so baiscly whn i see ppl staring i usually use that as a way of talking to the person.

I have to admit that I can be a bit nosy at times, lol. I have on occasion, eavesdropped on deaf. conversations (bad I know). I don't call myself staring cuz unlike those other hearie slackjawed yokels, I know the language. Sounds like I'm bragging, I know. :P

Ok, I'm deaf and quadriplegic. I use a wheelchair, and I sign differently because my hands are partially paralyzed. To top it off, I have a service dog. Hell, yes, people stare. Sometimes I just smile at them, sometimes I stare back, and sometimes I make a joke to break the tension (my voice is very clear). I'll say something like, never saw such a beautiful dog/woman/chair or whatever. If they stare because I'm signing with friends, I just wave hello. :wave:

Ok, I'm deaf and quadriplegic. I use a wheelchair, and I sign differently because my hands are partially paralyzed. To top it off, I have a service dog. Hell, yes, people stare. Sometimes I just smile at them, sometimes I stare back, and sometimes I make a joke to break the tension (my voice is very clear). I'll say something like, never saw such a beautiful dog/woman/chair or whatever. If they stare because I'm signing with friends, I just wave hello. :wave:

Coincidence, lol. I've been doing some reading up on sci..what's your level of injury if you don't mind me asking?

off-topic...

what kind of service dog do you have? (i.e. breed) i have a guide dog who is a 45 pound yellow lab. my previous guide dog was a 65 pound golden retriever.

off-topic...

what kind of service dog do you have? (i.e. breed) i have a guide dog who is a 45 pound yellow lab. my previous guide dog was a 65 pound golden retriever.

He's a black lab/golden retriever mix, about 73 lbs. He was trained to pull my manual wheelchair, open doors, retrieve, switch on/off lights, help me dress, etc. He was trained by Canine Companions for Independence.

He's a black lab/golden retriever mix, about 73 lbs. He was trained to pull my manual wheelchair, open doors, retrieve, switch on/off lights, help me dress, etc. He was trained by Canine Companions for Independence.

that's awesome. :D how old is he? my guide dog is 12, but still as spry as ever and in perfect health with the exception of a little arthritis that flares up in the cold.

(by the way, both of my guide dogs were trained at leader dogs for the blind)

that's awesome. :D how old is he? my guide dog is 12, but still as spry as ever and in perfect health with the exception of a little arthritis that flares up in the cold.

He's almost 9, but starting to slow down. Last week I retired him from pulling, as he's starting to get a little arthritis. He's definitely slower to get up these days.

We tried training him for hearing commands when I lost my hearing, but no luck. Hearing dogs need to have inquisitiveness and self-initiative to explore sounds. Travis is so well trained as a service dog, he waits patiently to be given a command for everything. He doesn't leave my side to explore (except for the errant morsel of food), so he's lousy at actively alerting me. On leash, though, I find that if I pay attention to his body language and where he looks, I pick up a lot of cues.

He's almost 9, but starting to slow down. Last week I retired him from pulling, as he's starting to get a little arthritis. He's definitely slower to get up these days.

We tried training him for hearing commands when I lost my hearing, but no luck. Hearing dogs need to have inquisitiveness and self-initiative to explore sounds. Travis is so well trained as a service dog, he waits patiently to be given a command for everything. He doesn't leave my side to explore (except for the errant morsel of food), so he's lousy at actively alerting me. On leash, though, I find that if I pay attention to his body language and where he looks, I pick up a lot of cues.

that's cool. my guide dog tigger was trained for hearing/alert duties and can respond to commands in asl since she was specifically trained to work with a deafblind person. she was trained for hearing/alert duties after i came home from leader and a local school that trains dogs for the deaf came here and trained tigger in my home. i've decided to have my next guide dog dually trained as well since i'm totally deaf without my ci's on.

oh, and tigger always responds when my name is called. i don't know if she was trained to do that, but it really helps when i'm in a noisy environment and don't hear someone call my name.

that's cool. my guide dog tigger was trained for hearing/alert duties and can respond to commands in asl since she was specifically trained to work with a deafblind person. she was trained for hearing/alert duties after i came home from leader and a local school that trains dogs for the deaf came here and trained tigger in my home. i've decided to have my next guide dog dually trained as well since i'm totally deaf without my ci's on.

oh, and tigger always responds when my name is called. i don't know if she was trained to do that, but it really helps when i'm in a noisy environment and don't hear someone call my name.

Awesome. And what a fabulous name, "Tigger". Did you name her? Travis was originally named Teness but his puppy raiser changed it...thank goodness.

Awesome. And what a fabulous name, "Tigger". Did you name her? Travis was originally named Teness but his puppy raiser changed it...thank goodness.

no. the 4-h family who raised her gave her that name, but you know what? it fits her perfectly because she happily jumps up and down just like the tigger in winnie-the-pooh. :lol:

my previous guide dog's name was sugar. she was a real sweetheart, but a little too energetic for my liking.

in fact, i think her strong pull is partially responsible for the cts i have in my left hand.

Hi DeafDoc1. Did you see my question up there? :D

I know you and Hear Again are having an engaging conversation so I hate to de-rail it.

Hi DeafDoc1. Did you see my question up there? :D

I know you and Hear Again are having an engaging conversation so I hate to de-rail it.

that's not a problem, society's_child. please go ahead and continue your discussion with deafdoc. :)

Back