How do you feel when someone stare at you....

I'd think the person who was staring at me wanted to be me or hates me, I might beat that person up for wanting to be me, but not for hating me.

You're nuttier than a bag of pistachios. :squint: Why would the person staring at you want to BE you?

Well I am not deaf, but have hung out with deaf people and when people stare I go up and approach them and see if they have an issue or a question.

I guess it's worse if I was trying to eat as well. I don't like people staring at me especially when I am eating, I mean...I don't eat any different from other people. Children are worst when it comes to this.
Feh.

But I don't really do anything about it. I don't have enough courage to tell people off or even to wave at them. I just want to eat in peace, that's all.

depends on my mood. if im happy-ish, i'll wave at them or stare back at themtil they stop staring. if im not so happy-sih, i'll ignore em.

This weekend my friends and I were in Toronto, hubby was taking pictures and people were gawking because it was quite an image, you see.

Three DeafBlind people with canes walking by each other, tactiling and the canes tapping against each other. 90 love!

This weekend my friends and I were in Toronto, hubby was taking pictures and people were gawking because it was quite an image, you see.

Three DeafBlind people with canes walking by each other, tactiling and the canes tapping against each other. 90 love!

90 love? <confused>

by the way, i've never gotten the hang of communicating in tactile sign one-handed while using my cane or guide dog.

He's a black lab/golden retriever mix, about 73 lbs. He was trained to pull my manual wheelchair, open doors, retrieve, switch on/off lights, help me dress, etc. He was trained by Canine Companions for Independence.

This . . . is so way cool! I thought I was one of few around these threads with a hearing dog! :yesway: Snickers is my hearing dog, nine years old and is part Akita/German Shepherd, a spayed female from the humane society and weighs in at 85 lbs., or 38.555 kg. She's still nursing a slight injury on her left hind leg for chasing a jack rabbit. Vet says it's not broken; I think it's a pulled muscle or tendon. Time will it take to heal this one!

I watch her as she gives nonverbal cues, too.

Oh, I'm her trainer and, obviously, her handler. She is not a program-trained dog.

ppl stare at me, i often to handshape sign, "ILY" which it is works for me. they'll like, "wtf?" and leave me alone. I dont really care if they stare at me or not. Let them to see Deaf culture and educate them.

One time, one college student stare at me when i was eating my chinese foods [thats annoying]. she came to me and asked me,"is that hearing aid?" in her loud voices which is that waiteresses can hear her. i told her in signing and voice at same time, "ma'am can you keep it low? i can hear you and yes, im hard of hearing". She was surprised and go ahead to sat down and ask questions. I felt that im not bother but nice to educate her. She asked me at her first question, "How can Deaf people communicate with hearing people?" obviously stated that she havent really exposure of Deaf Culture. I told her in my signing and voice, "We can lipreading, writing on papers to communicate, signing with them if they know how to sign, and gestures. Otherwise, i can recommend you to check with college to see if they have ASL classes". She nods and find a interest. After that, she left and i didnt even finish my lunch, late for my work in 1 hour later. My boss texted me and said, "quit playing around and go to ------- to find it out" [i cannot say numbers and street name, sorry, its privacy information].

People are feel to stare at me for hours, admiring my signing skills ;) What's rude to me, is when they know sign language, and still stare at private conversations, without presenting themselves as signers.

stare.jpg

Ohhhh, Yes I can feel someone stare me...
Do you have eye problem?
eu'se me, find something else, you can stare.

funny :)
BTW, that cats are cute in the pic up there.

Anyway, Yeah people stare at me and my friends, we just ignore them unless ask or said something to us or me. And stare at my HAs too *seen obivously*, I don't care. Some of them came to me or us and asked "Where can I learn sign language" and "I know some signs A-B-C cool!". Also some of them says "Sign language is beautiful and unique". My friends and I said, "Thank you" with a smile. That's a nice compliment.

I live with a couple from my church and the wife told me one time that she had wanted to learn asl to "enhance her worship experience." I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but what does everyone here think of that? To me, I'm not sure what to think, other than it may make that person look silly.

I live with a couple from my church and the wife told me one time that she had wanted to learn asl to "enhance her worship experience." I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but what does everyone here think of that? To me, I'm not sure what to think, other than it may make that person look silly.

How on earth does learning asl enhance one's worship experience?? :crazy:

Many scholars belive fingerspelling in ASL orgins from monks living in the mediterranean area of europe. It was a rule the monastery should be quiet, so they used fingerspelling and perhaps sign language to communicate. An example of getting closer to God with sign language. Perhaps this woman have something else in her mind, something more perverse, anyhow, it sounds weird.

I will admit to watching as people converse in ASL, but I always make a point to explain to them that I am learning and if they would prefer that I not be there then I will abide by their wishes. Most of the time, they are very helpful and will try to teach me a little. I don't run into very many people here in my town, so when I do, I try to take advantage, but like I say, I will always let them know before I do. As for people staring at me, I'm used to it. I have very tall children for their ages and so I've gotten used to it for tha last 14 years. My daughter is 14 and stand 6'5". She was 2 feet tall at birth.:giggle:

How on earth does learning asl enhance one's worship experience?? :crazy:

I haven't figured it out yet, child. :dunno: Um, another thing, I saw on TBN once (I don't regularly watch it, I had cable at the time) and the performers were miming asl and waving their arms all over, I thought at first they were drying their armpits from their deodorant. :confused: I thought they went overboard and made themselves look silly.

When people stare at me when I'm signing I feel silly and clumsy, because even if they don't know how lousy my signing has become over the years, I do.

Back