How do you feel if your newborn baby is deaf?

Show me links of evidence.
It's doesn't matters . You will know yourself and see it it yourself from your own experience. The more important person is who you are and be you that you are not a dumb person.

Ofc, I asked what do u think?
Hi back. Well from what my experience that I 've well known. To my knowledge of what I think all schools are good for the kids to go to school. That's what important. No matters where ! Look at this way.. My hearing brother didn't graduated high school but he went to summer school to make it up then went to the Navy . I know some of the deaf students from my previous deaf school those who graduated and went to galladuet College. Nothing it's too important what they requires the student in school today. Why need to be too intgellent ?? That's my point just be smart and be wise .. don't do any stupid things.

I wouldn't care. I would accept my child for who he/she was.

I'm deaf myself, so I would consider that a huge advantage towards ensuring that my deaf child doesn't go through the hardships that I went to.

For instance, I knew nothing about VR support... ADA... financial aid... etc. No one told me these things. Now that I know about these things, I'll make sure that my kid knows about it. :)

:gpost: ... you will make a good father one day! :)

If I had a deaf newborn, I'd look at what my parents did . . . then do the opposite. :lol:

Seriously, when we (my siblings and I) were born, my parents did everything they could to make sure our language development was not impeded in any way. They were very concious about it.

(I found it interesting when I'd found out that a hearing sibling was sent away for an entire summer with hearing relatives . . . to make sure verbal (voice-based) language was proper.)

It was not until I'd went to a Deaf school that I was able to speak in ASL fluently and with ease. Before Deaf school, I focused on making sure the subjects, verbs, direct objects, et al. were in their proper place.

It goes without saying that language development is very important. Unfortunately, many deaf children are born into families without any language development and, as a result, suffer.

I just caught up with a former school/dorm-mate who has two deaf children. He'd moved to the D.C. metro area (from the boondocks of Pennsylvania) because he'd wanted to make sure his children got better education.

I found that admirable.

Do that deaf schools have Geometry,Trigonometry and/or calculus, Homework Center, Spanish Language, Cued Speech, Sign Language Course and Deaf History?

Some do, yes. And there are mainstream schools that don't have all those subjects.

But it doesn't matter what subjects the mainstream school teaches if the child doesn't have access tothe curriculum.

Do that deaf schools have Geometry,Trigonometry and/or calculus, Homework Center, Spanish Language, Cued Speech, Sign Language Course and Deaf History?

Sure my school does. I took Spanish when i was in 4rd grade. I did have Geometry, Calculus, Trigonometry, Homework center, and Deaf History. We asked for them and we got it. Boy it was HARD. :giggle:

My class asked for harder subjects to give us challenge and they had to come up with more to teach us. Teacher even had to call our parents to come in and discuss about change to IEP to accomdate our needs.

If they are doing the subjects that are too easy. Didnt you know that you are suppose to ASK them for harder stuffs like my class did? Our principal said she dont see why not. We got our wish. The more stuffs we learn the more it was fun and it was never boring. How I miss the old days. ha!

Like I said in previous posts. You cant blame Deaf schools for having lousy educations. It is parents who didnt put the kids in therapy at early age. By the time the kids got to Deaf school with no knowledge of ABC's. Their language skills are zip. So yes it is a struggle for them to learn. so be careful labeling Deaf schools. Not all Deaf schools are alike, ok? :)

I AM glad I went to Deaf school due to being around Deaf students and use sign language and be exposed to everything they offer for us. I cant imagine being in someone else's footprints and go to public school being mainstreamed. I can see myself being frustrated and unhappy with no friends. No one understand me or that. I have seen several posted about their experiences. I felt bad for them. staying in dorms are always fun. It is like being away on a field trip only its long week, LOL. At least I stay at dorm and be with friends and have great time. I have great memories of being at the dorms. If I have to do it all over again. I would live at dorm. :)

sorry off topic..

i agree with others.. not matter if deaf or hearing.. as long as baby is HEALTHY. thats all it matters. :D

:topic:my oldest son has gone to both deaf schools, and mainstream schools with an interpeter. he HATED going to the mainstream school.
but then again. he was always aware that he isn't a hearing child and probably realized he was different from the rest of the kids.
If i were in his shoes, I would not want to be the only deaf kid in the class.
(not that there is anything wrong with being deaf mind you, but being singled out is hard. I remember being the only white kid in class when i was younger, and quite frankly, it made me really self concious.):topic:

Be nice please?? Relax please? Everyone are different. You can't blame on deaf school. This is point about deaf child do you accept it. You can't be upset. You have to accept and heart to love. Just be careful! Are you hearing or deaf? Why you are argue to someone about daaf school and mainstream between?? You have to respect their views. Please end of discuss about school. The point about deaf child how you would feel.

Ofc, I asked what do u think?

It doesn't matter to me, deaf or hearing, any child is unconditional love... ;)

I'll be upset if the baby is deaf becuz I do not want to get involved with deaf ppl at residential school.

That's your reason? :ugh: All children needs us to love them for who they are, accept them for who they are, not because "You do not want to get involved with deaf people at residential school". This isn't all about you, Lavender.

I also would panic because I know there are very few quality programs available for deaf infants and children. I would have to relocate to find a good early childhood intervention program specifically designed for deaf children.

I wouldn't mind if my child turns out to be deaf, but I would hope for a deaf daughter than a deaf son because there's a private school with deaf facility exclusively for girls. Whereas a deaf boy would have less choice but to go to a deaf school, public mainstream or a private school with deaf facility but practices oral method. At least that's the way it is in my state.

So, yeah, I would worry about the educational opportunities out there for a deaf child. If I have to relocate then so be it. And who knows if my old deaf school will remain open in 20 years because of low number of students.

If my baby (only 3 weeks left) is born deaf, I'd make sure he [they think he's a he] was Deaf ;) I wouldn't care at all, as long as my baby is born healthy, I don't care if he's born deaf. I know sign (I'm not perfect but oh well! I'm still learning), so it's okay. :D

Apparently, the doctors are 'concerned' about his hearing, because mine isn't great, they think it might be "passed on".

I was explaining to my doctor (before my twins were born) about the whole deaf culture thing related to a deaf mother's acceptance of her child's hearing/deaf status. He didn't really seem to understand. Then a couple of months later he called me at home. There was two patients who had given birth around the same time. One was deaf, and the other was hearing. The deaf mother gave birth to beautiful healthy hearing baby. The hearing mother gave birth to a beautiful healthy deaf baby. Both mothers cried and grieved. The deaf mother said this was the first hearing baby in their family (four generations) - what is she going to do with a hearing baby?! She doesn't know how to talk! She doesn't have music at her home! Etc. The family was in shock since they had expected a deaf baby. The hearing mother was crushed. She had never met a deaf person in her life - what was she going to do with a deaf baby?! It was a very interesting moment...and the doctor asked both of them if it was okay for me to come up and talk with them. They said "yes" and so I agreed to come up and talk with them individually. The deaf baby is doing wonderful - and I got to teach her in my class :). The hearing baby is doing wonderful- he became my godson. :) Both mothers are now good friends.

I was explaining to my doctor (before my twins were born) about the whole deaf culture thing related to a deaf mother's acceptance of her child's hearing/deaf status. He didn't really seem to understand. Then a couple of months later he called me at home. There was two patients who had given birth around the same time. One was deaf, and the other was hearing. The deaf mother gave birth to beautiful healthy hearing baby. The hearing mother gave birth to a beautiful healthy deaf baby. Both mothers cried and grieved. The deaf mother said this was the first hearing baby in their family (four generations) - what is she going to do with a hearing baby?! She doesn't know how to talk! She doesn't have music at her home! Etc. The family was in shock since they had expected a deaf baby. The hearing mother was crushed. She had never met a deaf person in her life - what was she going to do with a deaf baby?! It was a very interesting moment...and the doctor asked both of them if it was okay for me to come up and talk with them. They said "yes" and so I agreed to come up and talk with them individually. The deaf baby is doing wonderful - and I got to teach her in my class :). The hearing baby is doing wonderful- he became my godson. :) Both mothers are now good friends.

Awesome ;)

No matter either my children are deaf nor healthy.. .mainly is HEATHLY...

My both boys are hearing but I feel that they are deaf thru their sign language to me...

If my both boys are deaf, I would feel that my both boys are hearing thru speak to hearing people...

I do not see any difference... *shrug*

If my new born child was born deaf then I would do everything I can to help them communicate whichever way they are most comfortable with.

I would have early intervention and immediately begin to introduce ASL as a base language, then later introduce English around the same time a child would normally begin to talk by way of speech therapy.

I would not force my child to wear a CI, I would wait until he/she is old enough to make their own educated decision that they feel is best for themselves.

I would not rule out any one method but what use whatever works best for my child and not force them to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

Back