How do you feel about being asked questions?

Strong

Reaction score
I'm really curious. For me, I don't like being asked questions. I can understand that people asking questions is a good opportunity to educate them about hearing loss/deafness/HOH/etc but sometimes I would like to be left alone.

One time, I was working at my job, and someone asked me, "may I ask you about your speech?" So I explained to her only to hear back that she has worked with students with intellectual disabilities, never someone with hearing loss. I know I sound offended by this but it's amazing how people can easily judge you without getting to know more about you.

Your opinions?

I know i am hearing but i guess its depending on the question and who is asking.

I'm really curious. For me, I don't like being asked questions. I can understand that people asking questions is a good opportunity to educate them about hearing loss/deafness/HOH/etc but sometimes I would like to be left alone.

One time, I was working at my job, and someone asked me, "may I ask you about your speech?" So I explained to her only to hear back that she has worked with students with intellectual disabilities, never someone with hearing loss. I know I sound offended by this but it's amazing how people can easily judge you without getting to know more about you.

Your opinions?

I am always very honest and open about my hearing loss. Upon meeting someone new I will usually tell them that I have hearing loss and wear HA's, so if I don't respond to something they have said it is not because i don't care it's probably because I didn't hear them. I have found that by doing this it ends some of the crazy questions that people will ask.

I don't speak like I have hearing loss because I didn't have hearing loss until I was four years old, so my speech patterns were already formed. If people ask you about your speech you can direct them to an audiology website like Audiology Online | CEUs, Jobs and Journal for the Audiology Profession or tell them your speech is the way it is because of your hearing loss and not for any other reason. You could of asked her "Do you think I have an intellectual disability" and put her on the defensive or you could of also said "I don't know what intellectual disabilities have to do with speaking the way I do because I having a hearing loss," but if you do, what ever floats your boat! You could also say something like "my IQ is 165 what is yours? Perfect summation for this woman, and Ron White said it best, "you can't fix stupid."

Last edited:
I am always very honest and open about my hearing loss. Upon meeting someone new I will usually tell them that I have hearing loss and wear HA's, so if I don't respond to something they have said it is not because i don't care it's probably because I didn't hear them. I have found that by doing this it ends some of the crazy questions that people will ask.

I don't speak like I have hearing loss because I didn't have hearing loss until I was four years old, so my speech patterns were already formed. If people ask you about your speech you can direct them to an audiology website like Audiology Online | CEUs, Jobs and Journal for the Audiology Profession or tell them your speech is the way it is because of your hearing loss and not for any other reason. You could of asked her "Do you think I have an intellectual disability" and put her on the defensive or you could of also said "I don't know what intellectual disabilities have to do with speaking the way I do because I having a hearing loss," but if you do, what ever floats your boat! You could also say something like "my IQ is 165 what is yours? Perfect summation for this woman and Ron White said it best, "you can't fix stupid."

Actually I could say that but I discovered from Internet research and other people's experiences that people who have intellectual disabilities tend to have speech impediments. My speech is quite clear and have been told by many many many people that I have an accent, not a type of speech impediment. Another person who knows about speech therapy said that, "I don't sound like I have an intellectual disability."

I was like, "wtf?"

It depends on who's asking.
In an equal power relation engagement ask me anything. All cool
If your in a uniform, packin, or a suit packin, or representing the burgermint
Go **** yourself
Simple really

I've always been cool with answering questions about it, I'm all for educating people...I understand people are curious and for me, people don't know I have a hearing loss until I tell them or they see me fiddling with my hearing aids...

I don't mind questions about my deafness. I see it as an opportunity to help educate others because it makes things easier on the next deaf/HOH person they talk to.

Your opinions?

I think that person has it backward , if anyone has intellectual disabilities it's them.

Lucky me...whe n I was young, people ask me ALL THE TIME..."what happened to your hearing?"...then when my voice changed, they were always saying "you're from another Country, right?...Bet it's Sweden!...you sound Swedish"....

Now that I'm older, :giggle:...people assume it's old age as to why I cannot hear....Thank gawd for the reprieve!....

16931_228482587550_411430_n.jpg

. I know I sound offended by this but it's amazing how people can easily judge you without getting to know more about you.

Your opinions?

I think it is never fun to be singled out for being different.

I don't enjoy talking to strangers. I know I sound different. A lot of times they will just look nervous and try to talk to whoever is with me instead.

So I agree with you that I wish they wouldn't.

I don't mind. But I get asked questions for different reasons. I have to point out my hearing aid and explain to every new client I work on that I'm deaf, I rely on lip reading and that when they're face down on the table I won't understand them. There's no way for me to work without explaining.

My speech is fine, so I often get questioned about when I lost my hearing, how I lost it. I worked on a lady that was a speech pathologist and was soooo impressed with my speech she wanted to know where I went to school, because they did such a good job with my speech therapy. That was embarrassing. I'm like nooooooo I didn't have to do anything like that I was 20 when it started to go. I look a lot younger than I an too.
Anyway, no, it doesn't bother me to answer questions.

I don't mind being asked questions about my deafness. I'd actually rather people ask me questions because I know that they are showing curiosity and maybe even care. It raises awareness and understanding too.

And I'd also prefer someone telling me, "Your speech is so good!" than, "Sorry? What? I can't understand you." because then I know that my speech is alright and people can understand me.

Depends on the q and whose asking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the question and the person inquiring, really. I don't mind the opportunity to educate others about deafness, the Deaf culture, American Sign Language, et cetera. Every now and then I still get incredulous questions.

Once a person asked me, "Is it true that deaf and hard of hearing people can obtain driver's licenses and drive?" Of course, I say yes. Her next question was, "How did you learn to do it?"

Here's another example. This situation involved the submission of my original written works, of which the person upon review immediately asked me, "Whoever helped you with this did a great job. Who was it?"

Those kind of questions, I don't really have much patience with.

Depends on the question and the person. But I don't like to be asked, because people often lose their interest afterwards and keep ignoring me... Some of them doesn't bother talking clear enough so I can understand dem, and when they're talking to other people. If they ask, showing their interests, and keep talking to me - in a clear way (not TOO clear), I think it's just nice they're asking...

Depends on the q and whose asking it.

Yeah it depend how they asked it , if they're just asking to be nosey I would not like it but it they snow an real interest me being hoh and want to know how my HA etc , I am find with. If a child ask me I do not mind at all.

Yeah it depend how they asked it , if they're just asking to be nosey I would not like it but it they snow an real interest me being hoh and want to know how my HA etc , I am find with. If a child ask me I do not mind at all.

I get the nosey q's all the time. True, children are different.

I don't really care if they're genuinely interested in learning or whatever, I personally just don't want to talk about it. I'll acknowledge that the hearing loss exists of course, but I'm not getting into how it happened and so on. I prefer to leave all of that in the past.

Are they stupid questions? I don't enjoy stupid questions.... Teachers lied when they said there's no such thing as a stupid question... because there ARE stupid questions... and LOTS of them too... :squint: :mad2: I don't mind being asked genuine questions that are sincere... as long as they aren't stupid and clearly being ignorant. :squint:

Back