How concerned are you about warnings of a possible bird flu?

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard on the news that the world is "overdue" for a flu pandemic, begin spreading from Asia. Seems that people are caughting this flu from chickens and other poultry...That's is why I think it's important to have flu vaccines.. Tell me what you think? Should we be concern or not?

Yes, I heard about this, too.

I'm searching to find out either it's important to have flu vaccines or not. The media spread out in Germany to persudade us to have flu vaccines since few people died because of that.

It's not just bird but "air" atomshere (weather) make people sick.

Yes, I read the caption that about 50 million people died already if I am correct on that numeric of people.

And you are correct about the air too... That is very scary if you ask me.. yikes!

im not worried.

i'd rather not live my life in fear.
millions of people die PER DAY, mabye one of us on this board is next, am i worried? naahh, i'd rather enjoy life than be scared of it :P

I don't think we should be concerned. If we all get it and die, then that's life... we all die. ;)

I would be concern cuz I dont want to die and leave my son behind and have hm live with his horrible Dad. No way.

Pomeranian said:
I would be concern cuz I dont want to die and leave my son behind and have hm live with his horrible Dad. No way.

Me too I get worried also for my children, Hope one of my sisters will consider of adopt both of them for me. :hug:

Sounds scary. Hope that by the time the flu epidemic hits US, we will have vaccines that could prevent that exact strain of flu. Even flu vaccines nowdays dont prevent all strains of flu.

But remember we are lot more prepared and all that than these poor folks during the Plague or Spanish influenza years.

*knocking on wood*

Pomeranian said:

Yessss same here girl, :hug: I don't want to leave my boys behind either! :( ... so yes I would be concern too...

Bird flu

Believe it or not, the last time I had the flu was in 1983 when I was in High School. Never got flu shots as I have strong immune system.

Okay, a flu pandemic can be scary...I have been reading about the chicken or bird flu in Asia. Also read the World Health Organization's report that a new pandemic is overdue.

That is bit scary as one never know and if this type of flu get to the United States and yeah, people could get sick. Maybe people like me will get sick as my body have no immunity against this strain.

I know a few people with weak immune systems and I pray that those do not get the flu if it get to US.
Children, adults with immune problems and the elderly are at risk for developing the flu so it is important for them to get the flu shot.

Just hope that this bird flu never comes to the USA or if it does, we survive the flu.

Blue120 :)

I already caught a spring fever from last wk; even, all my family got sick already passing around us here. Dang, it was terrible flu much worse than before.

Cheri said:
Yes, I read the caption that about 50 million people died already if I am correct on that numeric of people.

And you are correct about the air too... That is very scary if you ask me.. yikes!

50 million? According to this link,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4332187.stm

it states only 46 people in SE Asia has died from this.

Here is the FAQ for Avian flu:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3422839.stm

From this link it states:

Worldwide experts predict anything between 2m and 50m deaths and the possibility of more than 50,000 additional deaths in the UK.

This is only an estimate of how many people COULD die if this avian flu spread over the world.

Incidentially, today my bf told me that his uncle, who came from Vietnam last week, said that with the avian flu in Vietnam, a lot of people are eating more and more dogs than chicken now. :giggle:

Tousi said:
A bird flew over this am and he looked fine.

About two years ago, we had county workers come here in this town and kill chickens, ducks, birds with guns to prevent the virus spread. It was sore sight.

My husband suspected he had anthrax couple years ago when he was so sick and spend few weeks at the hospital. No one knew what was wrong with him. Till two weeks ago he came up with this after research on the net. He suspected he got this infected goat skin for his drum which he ordered thru from Africa. He remembered he got sick after handle this goat skin.

Be careful handling animals, never know what they have will harm us.

It is my understanding that avian flu is "air" transmittal to birds, not to humans. Upon food consumption, a by-product of avian flu "solid" goes to human and made them sick and fatal. Since I don't eat poultry or cows ("Mad Cows"), I have nothing to worry about those. That does not mean veggies are still safe. I must wash them thoroughly to eliminate e-coli and any other harmful bacterial that stick to veggies due to airborne absorption and oxidizing.

Back