How can I expose my baby to sign language if I don't speak it? (in Philadelphia)

maurabwade

Reaction score
Hi. I have a baby that failed the otoacoustic test many times when he was born, but he passed his ABR and he clearly reacted to certain sounds such as clapping, so we didn't worry about him.

Now he is almost 14 months old and he doesn't really say any words. More importantly, he doesn't respond when you talk to him unless he is looking at you. He still reacts to clapping and certain other sounds.

Anyway, I'm going to get his hearing tested again, but in the mean time I am would like to expose him to sign language. If he is HoH, he has already missed a really important time for learning language and I don't want him to miss any more time. And if he turns out to have normal hearing, there is really no disadvantage to knowing another language.

But it will take me a while to learn sign language and I don't have any deaf friends. Where can I take my baby to expose him to sign language? We live near Philadelphia.

Your local education agency should provide a person to come into your home and work with your whole family one this as part of his early intervention program.

Don't waste time contacting them.

Definitely call Early Intervention for your city! There could be a waiting list, so get on it as quickly as possible. In the mean time, buy (or check out from the library) some ASL videos. There are lots of different kinds, but our favorite is Signing Time. The baby will start learning the signs necessary for early communication, and if you pay attention to the songs and stuff, you can learn a lot more signs. There are also ASL dictionaries online, so utilize those to at least teach yourself some signs that you think are pertinent to your day-to-day life. No one in our family is D/deaf or hoh, but we're learning as a second language for homeschool. With just the videos and online dictionary I've learned probably 200 signs in a month. Now we're trying to figure out a way to piece together proper "sentences". I've got a few well-reviewed books on hold at the library that will hopefully help with that.

If a child has a diagnosed hearing loss, they would receive services through EI. There is no wait list for that- the county office is obligated to provide the child with services.

Also, you can't just take a child to places where people are signing and expect them to acquire language. It needs to happen at home, in their natural environment as well.

You should follow through and have your Childs hearing tested again. If he failed 4 OAE tests, and there was no fluid in his ears then it seems clear that he has at least some degree of hearing loss.

Start the process, once (and if) diagnosed, you will get linked up with EI and your child will have an IFSP. In that IFSP you can have it written in that someone will come to teach you and your family how to sign among other things.

In the meantime, you can start learning the basics at lifeprint.com, signingsavvy.com, and look into the Signing Time series for you and your child.

My point is, going to deaf meets is not enough exposure for your child to acquire language. It starts and ends at home.

Exposure to the local deaf community could still be beneficial to mom for learning sign language, and tips on raising a deaf child.

In South Carolina, we have BabyNet, part of the First Steps program.

Exposure to the local deaf community could still be beneficial to mom for learning sign language, and tips on raising a deaf child.

In South Carolina, we have BabyNet, part of the First Steps program.

Absolutely Reba. I'm not discouraging her from going to local events put on by the Deaf community as an opportunity to learn more and give her child the exposure he needs.

There are many people who think if they send their child to school where they are exposed to SL, or to Deaf meets on even a regular basis, that it is enough for a child to develop proficiency in a language. That is not enough.

I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but I wanted to be clear that exposure at random events is not sufficient.

It starts at home (language) Even with little baby steps With signs (i.e. want, more, milk, hungry, play, ball, mom, dad etc.).

Last edited:
that was kinda confusing. :dizzy:

I think it was pretty clear, but I added to it in red to help with your confusion. Do you have anything to contribute to the OP?

yes.

Contact the PA school for the Deaf. That's a good place to start.. And from what I remember from my grade school days, it was a pretty good school. Or Kendall in DC is even better!

I didn't know that it was possible to speak sign language!?

Just kidding...

There should be early intervention programs for babies and toddlers like that.

You can also find books on baby signs and baby ASL.

Good evening,

I am from the Philadelphia area as well. I do hope everything is okay with your child. He is not too behind at 14 months, believe it or not. I have a bachelors degree in Elementary Education and with what I remember from Child Development, your child is still in that state to learn. I think most children who may have problems with hearing may start a little later in language development, because it may not always be that noticable right away since they are born with language skills. I am currently taking a signing class at the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf over in Germantown through DHCC. If you google DHCC they may be able to help you a little more since your child isn't quite school age. I have also learned a lot simply from DVDs in terms of sign language. There are LOTS of dvds on netflix and I'm sure other places on the internet that could serve as a start. The ones geared particularly towards children are vibrant visually (since kids love color) and you can look into videos for adults for yourself. I found it to be a great start. I can recommend the videos I've used... they are say it with sign. They are old, from like the 70s I think, but as I'm taking this class I am learning there aren't too many changes in the signs. Some may be modified, but not many. Good luck!

If your child is hearing or HH, you may consider Sign, Say, & Play classes. Learning sign is a great way to communicate with your child before s/he learns to speak verbally. It is a great way for you begin learning signs too. The Baby Signs instructor in your area is Kacey Slack.

If your child is hearing or HH, you may consider Sign, Say, & Play classes. Learning sign is a great way to communicate with your child before s/he learns to speak verbally. It is a great way for you begin learning signs too. The Baby Signs instructor in your area is Kacey Slack.

When/if this child gets an official diagnosis, the parents can be provided with classes (that won't cost them) in ASL- not baby signs.

Get the diagnosis as soon as possible, choose what amplification (if any) you'd like for him and then contact ChildLink 215.985.2500. They will do a formal assessment and give you two choices for therapies. PA school for the deaf and Clarke Schools for Hearing and Speech. Choose PSD and they will provide all the services free in your home until he turns 3 years old.

Back