Hot on Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Vance

Reaction score
Without Michael Moore and "Fahrenheit 9/11" at the Cannes Film Festival this time, it was left to George Lucas and "Star Wars" to pique European ire over the state of world relations and the United States' role in it.

Lucas' themes of democracy on the skids and a ruler preaching war to preserve the peace predate "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith" by almost 30 years. Yet viewers Sunday and Lucas himself noted similarities between the final chapter of his sci-fi saga and our own troubled times.

Cannes audiences made blunt comparisons between "Revenge of the Sith" the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side and the rise of an emperor through warmongering to President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq.

Two lines from the movie especially resonated:

"This is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause," bemoans Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) as the galactic Senate cheers dictator-in-waiting Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) while he announces a crusade against the Jedi.

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy," Hayden Christensen's Anakin soon to become villain Darth Vader tells former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). The line echoes Bush's international ultimatum after the Sept. 11 attacks, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

"That quote is almost a perfect citation of Bush," said Liam Engle, a 23-year-old French-American aspiring filmmaker. "Plus, you've got a politician trying to increase his power to wage a phony war."

Though the plot was written years ago, "the anti-Bush diatribe is clearly there," Engle said.

The film opens Wednesday in parts of Europe and Thursday in the United States and many other countries. At the Cannes premiere Sunday night, actors in white stormtrooper costumes paraded up and down the red carpet as guests strolled in, while an orchestra played the "Star Wars" theme.

Lucas said he patterned his story after historical transformations from freedom to fascism, never figuring when he started his prequel trilogy in the late 1990s that current events might parallel his space fantasy.

"As you go through history, I didn't think it was going to get quite this close. So it's just one of those recurring things," Lucas said at a Cannes news conference. "I hope this doesn't come true in our country.

"Maybe the film will waken people to the situation," Lucas joked.

That comment echoes Moore's rhetoric at Cannes last year, when his anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" won the festival's top honor.

Unlike Moore, whose Cannes visit came off like an anybody-but-Bush campaign stop, Lucas never mentioned the president by name but was eager to speak his mind on U.S. policy in Iraq, careful again to note that he created the story long before the Bush-led occupation there.

"When I wrote it, Iraq didn't exist," Lucas said, laughing.

"We were just funding Saddam Hussein and giving him weapons of mass destruction. We didn't think of him as an enemy at that time. We were going after Iran and using him as our surrogate, just as we were doing in Vietnam. ... The parallels between what we did in Vietnam and what we're doing in Iraq now are unbelievable."

The prequel trilogy is based on a back-story outline Lucas created in the mid-1970s for the original three "Star Wars" movies, so the themes percolated out of the Vietnam War and the Nixon-Watergate era, he said.

Lucas began researching how democracies can turn into dictatorships with full consent of the electorate.

In ancient Rome, "why did the senate after killing Caesar turn around and give the government to his nephew?" Lucas said. "Why did France after they got rid of the king and that whole system turn around and give it to Napoleon? It's the same thing with Germany and Hitler.

"You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."

Source: http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20050515/111618582000.html

I don't know about you but I already noticed that "theme" in Episode II.

Interesting interpretation of the plot....although I am SO beyond GLAD that Star Wars is FINALLY over! I hate Star Wars...I think it's overrated!

yeah I agree...

I am so confused about who is who...

Luke Skywalker's mom is Natalie Portman???
And Darth Vader is the skinny dude, Luke's father.

Lucas should have done what "The Lord of the Ring" filmmaker did...
Just have the movie in order... part one, part two, and part 3.

Not Part 4, part 5, part 6, and then Part 1, part 2, and part 3 movies...
I just can't catch up with everybody.

deafdyke said:
Interesting interpretation of the plot....although I am SO beyond GLAD that Star Wars is FINALLY over! I hate Star Wars...I think it's overrated!

Bad news, it ain't over. George Lucas plan on developing two TV series on Star Wars. :)

Banjo said:
Bad news, it ain't over. George Lucas plan on developing two TV series on Star Wars. :)
Well, I heard somewhere that Luke turns over to the dark side after Darth Vader died, even though evil still raise in the galaxy...I think there is some comics on that story published by darkhorse comics years ago but I never really get to read it lol

so since George Lucas is going to retire, why don't he let some other acclaimed directors like Steven Speilberg or John Woo or even Mel Gibson do more epsiodes that takes place after Vader's death and Luke's on the dark side...?

okay that may never happen so never mind. - -;;;

P.S. I'm going to see Epsiode III on wed midnight! :P

Just did a blog entry on it. :)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/banjo/Blog/cns!1pdc1Pj20wdYTqmHjIDckcrQ!502.entry

Steel said:
I'm going to see Epsiode III on wed midnight! :P

So am I, but that's only because I have a surgery scheduled on Thursday morning to have 5 of my wisdom teeth pulled out. Therefore, I have to see the midnight showing because if not, then I won't be able to see it for a few more days.

Blogs are so easy to read on a Blackberry! This one makes me LAFF!
It's Darth Vader posting in the first-person!

http://darthside.blogspot.com

The Darth Side: Memoirs of a Monster
Journal of Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith and Servant to His Supreme Excellency the Emperor Palpatine.

I have spent the day touring our facilities on the Sanctuary Moon from which we emit the invisible energy-condom that protects the still incomplete Death Star orbiting above. This world is an explosion of life, every inch teeming with creeping vines and scurrying insects and rustling leaves. Our tour ended up at the stormtrooper garrison where General Veers was hosting a barbecue.

"Have you tried one of these Ewoks, m'lord?" asked Admiral Piett, offering me a crisp kebab. "Delectable!"

Veers himself was surrounded by a cadre of identical troopers holding their helmets in one hand and their drinks in the other. "Lord Vader!" Veers greeted me. "I'm so glad you could join us. Did somebody get you an Ewok?"

Ewok Cookout! LMAO!

Steve

The first 2 starwars flixes were impressive. However after that George Lucas has been making space life look like the erogenuous zone and I'm not impressed.

Richard

Banjo said:
So am I, but that's only because I have a surgery scheduled on Thursday morning to have 5 of my wisdom teeth pulled out. Therefore, I have to see the midnight showing because if not, then I won't be able to see it for a few more days.
Oooo...sorry to hear about your surgery. I've been there, done that. No fun. But I know the techniques are much improved now, so you should have no problems (they give meds for pain anyway).

You must be extra smart if you have 5 wisdom teeth to spare. He, he. Well, we'll give you an IQ test after your surgery and see if the loss of "wisdom" affects you. ;)

Take it easy.

Banjo said:

You don't have to have your teeth pulled out...
you can use peroxide and clean your mouth out...
and take aspirin.
And also mix warm water and salt in cup and
wash your mouth out...
And make sure you brush your teeth.

Drink something cold or hot, to distract the nerves...
so the pain will go away...

And make sure your dentist give ya some strong pencillin
pill, if you have mouth abscess.

deafdyke said:

we would have 9 star war movies but george lucas decided to make 6 movies instead.

deafclimber said:
we would have 9 star war movies but george lucas decided to make 6 movies instead.
so why don't he let other directors do the work for him? since he didn't really direct the orginal star wars films back then before espiode 1-3 were directed by George?

Steel said:
so why don't he let other directors do the work for him? since he didn't really direct the orginal star wars films back then before espiode 1-3 were directed by George?

yup i agreed but i dont know what his mind is...

It'd be nice if Lucas would allow the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn be made into 7, 8, and 9.

Steve

Steve said:
It'd be nice if Lucas would allow the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn be made into 7, 8, and 9.

Steve
Oh goodness. I wish Lucus or anyone will do that. Thrawn Trilogy is the best of the bestest Star Wars storyline ever I read. Mara Jade kicks ass. Thrawn easily whipped Emperor or Darth Vader. I am glad that I am not only one in this commuity who read these wonderful books! :thumb:

Another interesting article but this time, the article is written by Chuck Baldwin (hardcore but well-respected conservative baptist christian) about this movie. Funny thing is that Chuck mentioned a book, A Republic, Not an Empire which I plan to read this week, I got it yesterday.

Steve or anyone, I shared my wish with Banjo yesterday or two nights ago that they would make a movie about Boba Fett and his "bounty hunting" moments. I am a huge fan of Boba Fett. Many people thought that he is a bad guy but in fact, he isn't. He tend to take the chuck out of "bounty hunting" money and donate to orphanages.

oh gosh i would like to see more movie of star wars as i would like to see Liea being training by Luke to be jedi before luke could be fall into dark empire as i read the comics book of star wars what so wonderful story !!! even would like to see han solo and leia's wedding and what would it reaction once the kids born and jedi grow once again ... ummmm... what do u think of that ?

Back