HIV-positive man sentenced 35 years for spitting at officer

Actually, I know this is controversial but, I do think that SOME HIV+ folks need to be put in a hospital. Some HIV poz folks are very irresponsible with their sexual and other behavoir. If they got put in a residental hospital setting, then they wouldn't be out there spreading HIV!

While I agree that some HIV+ can be irresponsible in their behavior, the irresponsibility has to go 2 ways before transmission can occur. Those who risk exposure are as irresponsible as those who expose.

Well I don't discriminate against people who have disease.

And for your question, well if I got HIV by a person poisoned me by his/her spit in purpose then of course I would sue them, but what if I don't get the HIV?
Ok, think of it this way...

What if someone shot you, but you survived. Since you didn't die, there's no need to punish that guy. He almost killed you (intentionally or unintentionally), but he's let go... because you never really died.

That's the same with HIV. Spitting at you while infected with HIV is like shooting you. You may get infected, or you may not.

Ok, think of it this way...

What if someone shot you, but you survived. Since you didn't die, there's no need to punish that guy. He almost killed you (intentionally or unintentionally), but he's let go... because you never really died.

That's the same with HIV. Spitting at you while infected with HIV is like shooting you. You may get infected, or you may not.

I understand this situation, but 35 years is still too much.

Oh boy that is very long time for a 35 years.

A HIV+ saliva would be too far low in counts of infected virus.

That's extreme 35 years in prison. The policman should get tested if he's infected or not. I know its not right to spit on anyone regardless if infected or not. Still, that's too much.

I understand this situation, but 35 years is still too much.
Perhaps, this will make sense... a police officer?

You hit another man... you hit a police officer... you hit a politician... which is worse?

Hit a man... minor punishment. Hit a police officer... major punishment. Hit a politician... HUGE MAJOR punishment. Hit a president... maybe death. ;)

You hit another man... you hit a police officer... you hit a politician... which is worse?

Hit a man... minor punishment. Hit a police officer... major punishment. Hit a politician... HUGE MAJOR punishment. Hit a president... maybe death. ;)

Yeah, probably true

What are the difference between a policeman or a man? :roll:

What are the difference between a policeman or a man? :roll:
They work to protect the people. Something happens to them and there's less protection for the people. That's why they usually make the punishment worse.

They work to protect the people. Something happens to them and there's less protection for the people. That's why they usually make the punishment worse.

Then that man can be a policeman in the future, or that man might save other's lives in the future. I still don't see any difference...

While I agree that some HIV+ can be irresponsible in their behavior, the irresponsibility has to go 2 ways before transmission can occur. Those who risk exposure are as irresponsible as those who expose.

I agree with Jillio.

It doesn't matter if the dude has HIV or not. Spitting at a police officier is not respectful and should not be tolerated. 35 years...good sentence. It is time we start demanding respect for the women and men who dedicate their lives so we can live our lives in peace.

What if during that same time that the officier is dealing with this jerk, there's another person who could really be using his help? What a waste of resources.

It's too excessive. 35 years is asinine.

The only thing that the state of Texas did was add more burden to the taxpayers as they now have to medicate/hospitalized this individual for the next 35 years. HIV medicenes could run into thousands of dollars a month.

It looks like the HIV individual got the justice to have his healthcare covered.

But it is Texas, this ain't nothing new.

Very good point about the taxpayers burde, Byrdie.

Hmm, maybe they should just go ahead and execute him to save money. (Kidding about the execution, btw).

35 yrs? thats nothing... think of my self-esteem hurting for many years depressed and my sister have bioplar disorder when my dad was sick with hiv.. it was not full blown then.. but people wouldnt come here and hang out with us just cuz they said we all have hiv.. but my dad is hte only one that have hiv.. freinds stopped coming here afraid to get the disease... thinking its contiagous... jeez

they were ignorant.... they didnt stop to look up information.. they didtn care... they think about themselves..

eventually my dad died from full blown AIDS in 87. we are still alive.. those people who shun us and doesnt want to be our friends gulped that we dont have the disease. too late there are damages already done to us. it hurts for many years. it take long time to deal with it... i had counseling thank goodness it does help me.. but my sister never did.. that explains why she have bioplar disorder... she will never get well cuz she dont have treatment .. due no health insurance. that is not my problem.

Those who shun us now have regrets... are they my friends.. no.. but i do forgive them.. they should have thought of that before hurting one of us... sigh...

Back