Hi!

katydidphoto

Reaction score
My name is katie. I am hard of hearing and very new to forums. I was born without an inner ear in my left ear. The inner ear on the right is not full size either, making me hearing impaired in both ears. My hearing loss wasn't discovered until I was in third grade when my teacher at the time sat down with my parents and talked to them about my hearing. Now looking back it's weird that it wasn't discovered before hand, but really I thought what i was/ wasn't hearing was "normal". After the discussion with my parents and teacher, I was sent in for many test and scans to see why I couldn't hear correctly. That's when they discovered my lack of inner ears.
Anyways, that's how I discovered I wasn't a normal hearing person. It wasn't until the last few years (I'm 28 now) that I haven't had issues with being hard of hearing. Besides the occasional bullies, and the teachers that didn't want to adapt with a hearing device he or she would have to wear. I haven't had problems with being the hard of hearing kid. I just sat at the front of the class room, made sure whoever I was having a conversation with was looking at me, and did the repetitive "excuse me, what did you say?" Over and over again til I realized what they were saying. But now working a job with lots of things happening at once, and lots of sounds surrounding me, i am having a hard time being the one that is hard of hearing. So that leads me to finding a place where I know other people have/are going through what I am, and could possibly give me some tips as to how to cope with this day to day problem.
Thanks,
Katie

:wave: Hi ! I thought all babies were given a hearing test when they're born so I was surprise you found out I third grade , a teacher of mine found out I was
hoh . I was in my second year of first grade and still didn't pass it.

Hello. And please take it from me, don't say your hearing impaired here.

Hello Katie,
welcome to AD!
Thanks for sharing a part of your life. You're strong, you'll do this!

Hello :) it is a little strange they didn't caught that when you were younger

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

My name is katie. I am hard of hearing and very new to forums. I was born without an inner ear in my left ear. The inner ear on the right is not full size either, making me hearing impaired in both ears. My hearing loss wasn't discovered until I was in third grade when my teacher at the time sat down with my parents and talked to them about my hearing. Now looking back it's weird that it wasn't discovered before hand, but really I thought what i was/ wasn't hearing was "normal". After the discussion with my parents and teacher, I was sent in for many test and scans to see why I couldn't hear correctly. That's when they discovered my lack of inner ears.
Anyways, that's how I discovered I wasn't a normal hearing person. It wasn't until the last few years (I'm 28 now) that I haven't had issues with being hard of hearing. Besides the occasional bullies, and the teachers that didn't want to adapt with a hearing device he or she would have to wear. I haven't had problems with being the hard of hearing kid. I just sat at the front of the class room, made sure whoever I was having a conversation with was looking at me, and did the repetitive "excuse me, what did you say?" Over and over again til I realized what they were saying. But now working a job with lots of things happening at once, and lots of sounds surrounding me, i am having a hard time being the one that is hard of hearing. So that leads me to finding a place where I know other people have/are going through what I am, and could possibly give me some tips as to how to cope with this day to day problem.
Thanks,
Katie
I'm confused as to why they didn't catch it when I was born as well.

Hi Katie and welcome to AllDeaf.

I know several hard of hearing people that were not diagnosed until second or third grade. I think states decide when they will do testing in schools. If it is mild it may go unnoticed until the formal test at school.

Back