Hi! Trying to become an interpreter

kunicorn

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I live in PA and my in-laws are deaf so I know quite a bit sign language. I would like to become an interpreter but am sot sure where to begin. I have been to RID.org and see that after June 30th of this year I will need an associates degree. Unfortunatly that is not an option right now as I am married with children and need to work full time. I was hoping someone here could tell me if they have recently become certified and what steps they took. I know I need to take a written test first before I can take the performance test. Can you tell me if I should have any training before I take the written test or should I take it first and see if I pass? I didn't realize that this year you would need a degree so I know I'm cutting it close and am not even sure if I'll be able to get certified before June 30. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

my understanding is if you get certified before June 30 you will still need to get the degree after the 30th...

I would look into that.

The instructor for my ITP said that if you take and pass the written test before June 30th of this year, the results are good for five years. This means that you would NOT have to get a degree to be certified, but you WOULD have to complete the certification process within the five year window.

important to certificate to degree best person interpreter become experience to more skills asl, lsq, blind deaf, support to people help you encourage to people. i think so medical to really professional wondeful to support to you

If you want to know if you are prepared to take the written test, look at the list of suggested readings. If you are familiar with most of them, you have a good chance of passing the test.

http://rid.org/UserFiles/File/pdfs/Certification_Documents/NIC_Knowledge_References.pdf

You can get some of the books from your library, and you can print out the RID Standard Practice Papers and study them.

If you are on a tight budget I wouldn't recommend taking the written test without some preparation--it's an expensive test.

From the RID site:

FAQs Pertaining to the Degree Requirements:

Q. I passed the written test and have five years to pass the performance test. As a candidate for certification, do I still need an associate's degree after 2009 to take the test?
A. After June 30, 2009, you will need to have the minimum of an associate's degree in order to take a performance test. If you are already certified at that time, the requirement will only apply to you if you want to take additional performance tests.

Q. If an interpreter already has NIC certification at the certified or advanced level before 2009, will he or she still need an associate's degree in order to retest for a higher level?
A. A candidate must meet all eligibility requirements at the time he or she takes an exam. Yes, the candidate will still need to have an associate's degree after June 30, 2009, to sit for additional performance tests.

Q. What is the latest I could take the written test and avoid the bachelor's degree requirement? Do I have five full years to attain certification?
A. The bachelor's degree requirement goes into effect June 30, 2012. You will not need a degree to take the written test, but you will need a degree to take a performance exam. When a candidate takes a performance test, he or she must meet all eligibility requirements. In other words, after June 30, 2009, in order to take a performance test, a candidate must still be on his or her five-year timeline and have the minimum of an associate's degree. After
June 30, 2012, a candidate must still be on his or her five-year timeline and have the minimum of a bachelor's degree. Certified interpreters will need to meet the educational requirements in order to take additional performance exams.

Q. I already hold CI and CT certifications. Do I still need to have an associate's degree in order to take further tests, such as the NIC Interview and Performance test?
A. Yes, in order to take further performance exams you will need to have the minimum of an associate's degree after June 30, 2009.

Q. I am already certified. I heard there would be grandfathering for the degree requirements. Am I exempt from the requirements?
A. If you are already certified, you will not need to have a degree in order to maintain your certification. You will need to have a degree if you want to take further performance exams.

Q. Is there a substitute to holding a degree?
A. A substitute to holding a degree will be defined and clearly outlined in the alternative pathways that the national office will be researching and providing to individuals. Information regarding the alternative pathways will be released in the near future.

http://www.rid.org/UserFiles/File/pdfs/News/Degree_Requirement_Extension.pdf

What kind of job do you have? Is it a job where your employer can pay for your education to get yourself certified?

Hi everyone. I live in PA and my in-laws are deaf so I know quite a bit sign language. I would like to become an interpreter but am sot sure where to begin. I have been to RID.org and see that after June 30th of this year I will need an associates degree. Unfortunatly that is not an option right now as I am married with children and need to work full time. I was hoping someone here could tell me if they have recently become certified and what steps they took. I know I need to take a written test first before I can take the performance test. Can you tell me if I should have any training before I take the written test or should I take it first and see if I pass? I didn't realize that this year you would need a degree so I know I'm cutting it close and am not even sure if I'll be able to get certified before June 30. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My suggestion would be to go the traditional route, work on the degree, and not try to rush into something before June. You really can't "cram" for six months and become a certified interpreter. It takes time, study, effort, knowledge and skill.

No, I clean houses now and just recently decided I want to become an interpreter since I have been married 16 years so I only have the experience with my in-laws. I just wish I had thought about this years ago before all the degree stuff came about.

thank you for your advice-it looks like that is the way I'm going to have to do it. I didn't realize that you would need a degree or I would have started years ago.

thank you for your advice-it looks like that is the way I'm going to have to do it. I didn't realize that you would need a degree or I would have started years ago.
Right now it might seem that a degree is a formidable goal and an excessive requirement but in the long run it will be of great benefit to you. Even if RID didn't require a degree for certification, many potential employers will require one. That's the trend in the professional world.

Also, the broader your education and life experience, the better you will be prepared for interpreting assignments. Interpreting is not just a matter of being fluent in ASL. There's a lot more to it.

But fear not! You can do it. If at all possible, begin by taking one evening class each semester until you can take on more classes. See if you can challenge some classes to get a head start on accumulating credits. Use the RID reading list to do your own self study. If you can, find places where you can practice your skills as a volunteer, especially if a mentor is available there. Get involved with your local deaf community. Visit any deaf residential schools or mainstream programs if they are nearby. Check into summer total immersion programs. Join your state RID affiliate and attend their workshops.

It's not too late. :)

Back