hi new to this world :)

a bland

Reaction score
hello
im totally new to the deaf world. never known anyone deaf. i went completely deaf april 25th of this year and it has been quite a transition! im slowly learning sign language and im really good at reading lips. im a little naive about the deaf world so please be patient with me. i am 23 years old. an OIF veteran and a wife. right now i feel kind of alone cause i feel like i dont really belong in the hearing or deaf world right now. most people r nice but some arent so patient. i am happy to be here and am willing to learn as much as i can. :wave:

hello
im totally new to the deaf world. never known anyone deaf. i went completely deaf april 25th of this year and it has been quite a transition! im slowly learning sign language and im really good at reading lips. im a little naive about the deaf world so please be patient with me. i am 23 years old. an OIF veteran and a wife. right now i feel kind of alone cause i feel like i dont really belong in the hearing or deaf world right now. most people r nice but some arent so patient. i am happy to be here and am willing to learn as much as i can. :wave:

Welcome! It's good you're so positive about being deaf :lol:
It can be hard for some late- deafened people. Good luck!

:wave:...welcome aboard....there are several members here who have lost their hearing suddenly,,(yours truely also)...

hello

Welcome! What's an OIF veteran? There are some young late deafened folks who are like you on the forums.....

Welcome! :) You are going to have a great time here at AllDeaf. I'm new to this Deaf culture too, although born Functionally HoH, we can give each other a few pointers along the way! ;)

2mpeex2.jpg

Hey!

Our stories are really similar, and we're really close in age. I went from perfect hearing to total silence about 2 yrs ago after a car accident when I was 19. It's been a total and complete adjustment for sure, and I am still learning and trying to adapt as best I can. I've become really good and reliant on lipreading, writing things down, and texting to communicate.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and it's nice to have someone else here in the same situation. Would love to help each other through it!

-Lauren

Hi welcome! Asl is great. You have a really positive attitude. When I hear stories like yours and see peoplewho are aso positive and friendly I realize I need to stop whining sometimes. I am late Hoh and not deaf. Even just Hoh is frustrating for me. I can't imagine how much harder it would be to go suddenly deaf. I've been luck enough to have been diagnosed and able to learn asl as my hearing deteriorates. I am so grateful for asl! And also for slowly meeting more people who are Hoh or deaf and nice. It gets easier! PM me if you ever want to talk :)

Welcome!!! I lost all my hearing overnight in both ears. It has been about two years. Things have definitely changed but life does go on. Good luck!!!

Back