Hi from Minnesota

TiaMarie

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am kinda new to the deaf community. I have been hearing impaired in my left ear since I was 12, but I had perfect hearing in my right ear that I just learned to live with it.

When I was 12 I was dx with Menieres disease in my left ear. I spend most of my time home sick and ended up home schooled for a while. It took the doctors a long time to figure out what I had because it was unseen for someone so young to have Menieres. After many years of sleeping on the bathroom floor lol It started to settle down and I felt good. I accepted that I didn't have great hearing, but I still could hear perfect in my right ear. While last August I got Menieres in my right ear and losing hearing fast. Today I was told that I should learn ASL, because no one knows just how much hearing I will lose.

I think I will find it helpful also, because somedays when my hearing is really bad I don't like when people talk to me and I really have to try and understand them. It would be so much easier for me and them to sign.

Well, I was sent to a bigger hospital in the Twin Cities because I am such a medical mystery where I live. Little did I know that I would me a medical mystery there also

I am just trying to find other people to talk to that know what I am going through and some advice on how to accept losing ones hearing and that this is NOT the end of the world.

Thanks

Tia

Hey Tia! Wow, I would love to start signing with you! That is a very interesting story.

Hello everyone.

I am kinda new to the deaf community. I have been hearing impaired in my left ear since I was 12, but I had perfect hearing in my right ear that I just learned to live with it.

When I was 12 I was dx with Menieres disease in my left ear. I spend most of my time home sick and ended up home schooled for a while. It took the doctors a long time to figure out what I had because it was unseen for someone so young to have Menieres. After many years of sleeping on the bathroom floor lol It started to settle down and I felt good. I accepted that I didn't have great hearing, but I still could hear perfect in my right ear. While last August I got Menieres in my right ear and losing hearing fast. Today I was told that I should learn ASL, because no one knows just how much hearing I will lose.

I think I will find it helpful also, because somedays when my hearing is really bad I don't like when people talk to me and I really have to try and understand them. It would be so much easier for me and them to sign.

Well, I was sent to a bigger hospital in the Twin Cities because I am such a medical mystery where I live. Little did I know that I would me a medical mystery there also

I am just trying to find other people to talk to that know what I am going through and some advice on how to accept losing ones hearing and that this is NOT the end of the world.

Thanks

Tia

hey I heard you're getting a pink hearing aid, that's wonderful!
how bad is yours? mine is severe right now but I'm getting better with my new ones I got back in March. gotta tell you but my old hearing aid is crap LOL

My left ear is in the severe hearing loss range. My right ear is in moderate hearing loss.

My left ear is in the severe hearing loss range. My right ear is in moderate hearing loss.

OMG both of my ears were that way before it went to severe! weird concidence huh?
well good luck with your pink hearing aids, my hearing aids are purple and I ♥ it!

I lived in Minnesota most of my life, and I am not young. I know the area very well. I also have Meniere's. I agree with doctors telling you to learn ASL. It is a wonderful language, and you should be able to pick it up fast. Good luck to you.

Hello and welcome aboard, Tia! :wave:

Oh, Alex. Your baby is very beautiful. I am glad that you put the baby picture in your Avatar. I wish you both as parents good luck on raising your daughter. :cool2: :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum, TiaMarie. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back