Hi everyone!

penelopelane

Reaction score
Hi there! I have just joined and I am Penelope. I grew up hearing but contracted a virus and lost my hearing in my teens. Now I am late 20s and have profound hearing loss in both ears. I work as a scientist. I wear hearing aids and will be getting a cochlear implant soon on the left side. I am taking ASL beginner classes and love it and find it so much easier than trying to lipread and follow oral conversations. Happy to have found this forum :)

cooltext119704021693060_zpsbtttmwvj.gif

Welcome to all Deaf penelope..
Sign will....(refer to my sig)
Scientist...mmmmm
Like you work with nukes or somethin........prob those T1000 terminator thingies..
Badass....

Welcome. Yeah, sign well open up a new world for you, esp when you get to conversational fluent level. Plus you can start requesting and using interpreters. Also you can ask the interpreter to mouth the words while signing in a more English word order. Called PSE ASL is a spectrum from pure ASL to manually coded English. PSE is using ASL in more English structure. You can also tell the interpreter that you will choice for yourself if you want. This way you benefit from both lip reading and sign

Thanks Southpaw! I didn't know that was possible but that sounds great. I actually ended up getting to the intermediate class instead of beginner as I remembered enough from high school (took it as a foreign language) to be "too advanced" for the beginner class.

Hoichi- I wish I did something that cool! I work in immunology.. not nearly as exciting ;)

Thanks Southpaw! I didn't know that was possible but that sounds great. I actually ended up getting to the intermediate class instead of beginner as I remembered enough from high school (took it as a foreign language) to be "too advanced" for the beginner class.

Hoichi- I wish I did something that cool! I work in immunology.. not nearly as exciting ;)

immunology that cool
man and microbes

Back