Hey!

Kina

Reaction score
Hey!! 21 and from SC here (well, I go to school in SC). I'm not deaf or HOH, but I've taken a few years of ASL and I'm very interested in Deaf therapy after graduate school!

Is anyone from the SC area?

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Another newbie here!! :applause:

Hello Kina--

Welcome to ALLDeaf and enjoy your stay here ;)

Hi Kina :) What motivated you to decide on deaf therapy in the first place? I wasn't aware of such a thing... so it would be a great kindness on your part to explain that term, too.

Hey!

My soph. year I decided to take an ASL class. I was amazed at how much I loved the class and learning about Deaf culture. I decided to take another 3 semesters (and I'm about to start my 5th semester in the fall).

Asl I began researching graduate schools and careers (I'm a psychology major, interested in clinical psychology), I realized that in many places, when a deaf person goes in for therapy, they must use and interpreter to talk to the therapist. So much can be lost in translation, and the whole system just seems to be failing the people it is supposed to help. Because of this, I am very interested in taking more ASL classes, becoming more educated in Deaf culture, and hopefully becoming certified as an interpreter..so that I can conduct therapy without the use of an interpreter. It just seems so much more beneficial to talk to the therapist one-on-one.

thank you for explaining deaf therapy, I was wondering what that was myself!
Sounds like a great field.

Lisa

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf Kina! It's nice to see someone like you to do what it'll take to make the world of difference for others! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD!! ;)

:wave: :welcome: Hello Kina, and welcome to Alldeaf. I hope you will enjoy your stay at AD.

I think it's truly wonderful that you have set your goals on Deaf Therapy, as there is such a need for a deaf therapist. My foster son who is 8 years old suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). It took Family Services so long to find someone for my foster son to go to that can sign, and they finally found one 45 minutes away from me which is worth the ride. She is hearing herself, and she signs wonderful ASL. So go for it, and I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Look forward to your postings!! Have a good one!!! :angel:

Back