Hello

ange09rnchic

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Angie and I am a hearing mother to a beautiful, wonderful, smart, sassy, and absolutely loving Deaf daughter. She was implanted with a CI at 18 months of age and is now 9 yrs. old. She has been attending a total communication classroom since age 3. I have been doing some reflecting lately and can smile on our progress as a family. My husband and I have recently made the decision for us to move back to California and will enroll our daughter in the California school of Deaf. My daughter has always taken to ASL. She loves to sign and she loves being around her Deaf friends. Her audiologists have been supportive to us. We've had our share of opinions, one being from a speech therapist " do you want her dependent off of you her entire life? or do you want her independent? scolding us for not being strict enough with making her wear her CI processor all waking hours.. If that happened today she would receive more than an empty stare.. I have been trying so hard to learn ASL. We want to be fluent, so many years have been spent trying to enforce oral communication, when all along my daughter just loved ASL! my advice to any parents with a deaf child, DO NOT let outside people make you feel ASL is inferior to spoken language! Have I mentioned how beautiful and smart my daughter is? lol just checking.. My daughter signs so beautifully, oh and when she signs songs my heart melts!! So here we are today, my daughter way ahead of us and my family trying to catch up! I love when she sits on the bed as we practice and she corrects us lol, shes a comedian about it and loves to point out our mistakes with a giggle :)

Welcome to AD. Seems that you and your beautiful and smart daughter are having a grand time! You are one bright Mom. I like that your beautiful and smart daughter is learning both oral and sign language combined skills. Two is better than one. :)

welcome to allDeaf

good for you and your daughter she go Deafie school.

great you are learning sign and your daughter loves to sign

im curious
can you share more info regarding the enforced/coherced oralism?

if not here (for what ever the reason) via pm with me thanks

Back