Hello, I have questions

redstar

Reaction score
To all deaf peeps, can you honestly put hand on heart and say u fully trust ur interpreter whenever they had to interpret what your saying?? U have full confidence in the interpreter ability to interpret u??

The question in my opinion should be divided into 2 parts.

If the interpreter translates the ASL deaf person do more then straight line to the interpreter translates correctly because the thought of this person. If the person is deaf oralist but then I understand (almost always) his thinking because it is more direct.

just my 2 cents of opinion....

:hmm: Well, I don't use terps often... However, I suppose yes, I trust most terps. What do they really have to gain over misinterpreting me? I read all paperwork through and through and never put my signature on something I can't read, so again... what would they possibly gain? All of the terps I've ever met and interacted with have been very nice people. I try and see the good in people first until they give me a reason to distrust them.

Also, I can speak. They're there more to interpret things the other person says to me, not what I say to the person. I can speak, most Deaf can... Or write.... or something, if they have any suspicions what they're saying is not being relayed correctly.

To all deaf peeps, can you honestly put hand on heart and say u fully trust ur interpreter whenever they had to interpret what your saying?? U have full confidence in the interpreter ability to interpret u??
Do you mind introducing yourself before asking questions?

I wonder if the OP would walk up a deaf person and starting asking them questions , I doubt it , so I wonder why they think it's OK to do that here.

I wonder if the OP would walk up a deaf person and starting asking them questions , I doubt it , so I wonder why they think it's OK to do that here.
They can hide behind anonymity.

I have long wondered where this almost obsession with "introduction" on this forum came from? It is the only one I have run across that even has it!

well in my experience we Deaf like introductions and very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very long good byes hovering where ever the light is brightest. though i admit i worked on that pet peeve of mine by just wearing my shades. inside outside, in the shower wherever shades. they make you invisible and set you free trust me.
besides introducing yourself is polite don't you think?
Sure just come in, a stranger and say your piece. Thats fine im new here. But a wee "hello i'm so and so" goes along way
my opinion of course.
hoichi-the earless

I have long wondered where this almost obsession with "introduction" on this forum came from? It is the only one I have run across that even has it!

How glad I am the only forum I know is AD.

I like Deaf values best.

One person's obsession is another person's courtesy, especially before quizzing forum members.

Also, why else do you think this forum has an entire introduction section? It's meant to be used.

Is it asking too much?

One person's obsession is another person's courtesy, especially before quizzing forum members.

Also, why else do you think this forum has an entire introduction section? It's meant to be used.

Is it asking too much?

No it is not asking too much. I have just been curious (it also made me think of the old saying that it killed the cat) ever since I discovered this forum about the start of the "introduction thread" and the emphasis on getting new people to post there.

Again beside being polite we Deaf do value as a culture american Deaf anyway, introductions more then hearing people do in my opinion and experience. granted the above is a very broad brush for whats its worth. that said the goodbyes are far more more, more, more, more. more, more, more. more, more, never ending.

Is it asking too much?
When I first came here, I made my first thread, "Don't throw your TTY away" if I recall correctly. I didn't make an introduction because it's not required by the rules. In many forums (millions of them), you don't have to introduce yourself.

When I first came here, I made my first thread, "Don't throw your TTY away" if I recall correctly. I didn't make an introduction because it's not required by the rules. In many forums (millions of them), you don't have to introduce yourself.

That was not asking a question , I can see where Reba is coming from, she feel it would be nice if a person at least told a little about their self before trying to find out thing about us. I know I would not like someone walking up to me and asking me about being HOH . We have people coming here just ask us questions and we know nothing about them.

Back