Hello folks

derekdg

Reaction score
my name is Derek....
...and I am deaf....there I said it:wave:

I am forty mumblemumble years old and gradually lost my hearing over many years...some of which were spent is blissful ignorance and staunch denial:giggle:

Y'see my deafness is hereditary but only affects some of the family {out of five ...three of us were deaf}. Those that are afflicted tend to lose their hearing from the late teens up to the late thirties. Many is the sad relative that has had to be comforted in the light of thinking they had escaped "the curse" only to find themselves frustrated at the crappy subtitles sevices that can be run by TV channels and radio stations with Dj/hosts that "mumble".:roll:

Well I am one of them now...and I hope hanging out with you guys might help me to stop feeling sorry for myself:laugh2:.

My apologies for the first time I visited...I mistakenly Hijacked someone elses thread on Introduce yourself...a genuine mistake...honest:shock:,

I am still trying to find my way, not just around alldeaf . but the whole foruming thingy, so will apologise in advance if I come across as a prize numpty during my clumsy fumbles and wanderings. Look forward to having a chat with you all

Derekdg:cool2:

333zm34.jpg

:welcome: to AD!!!! :D

I'm sure you will figure it out eventually... it's not complicated ;)

Jamie

Thanks folks cheering up already...by the way I was tempted to hit the "Go Advanced" button down here....in somewhat typical "oooohhh widduz this button do then?" mode, but decided against it.

Some other time perhaps!!

Thanks folks cheering up already...by the way I was tempted to hit the "Go Advanced" button down here....in somewhat typical "oooohhh widduz this button do then?" mode, but decided against it.

Some other time perhaps!!

If you hit advanced you get smileys!1:wave::wave:

:lol:
:giggle:
:P
:eek3:

Fun, huh?

love yer to bits bot me old...whoops ..er..new{est}chum:lol:.

I just this very mo joined the Computers group in here and the first question to 'em was "how do you get the wee smilley things on the message box.:eek3:...
...Are you spooky or are you SPOOKY.."I am ze graate Bottesini..Mind Reading Forummer Extrodinaire:cool2:"...erm would'nt be worth buying a Lottery Ticket this week by any chance o great one:hmm:

Last edited:
love yer to bits bot me old...whoops ..er..new{est}chum:lol:.

I just this very mo joined the Computers group in here and the first question to 'em was "how do you get the wee smilley things on the message box.:eek3:...
...Are you spooky or are you SPOOKY.."I am ze graate Bottesini..Mind Reading Forummer Extrodinaire:cool2:"...erm would'nt be worth buying a Lottery Ticket this week by any chance o great one:hmm:

What a lovely new person!! Already you noticed my importance!!:P

Hello! Welcome to the AD. I'm new myself here also. I'm deaf too and I'm 49 years old. I like to make some new friends. So have fun!

Welcome!...I'm not telling my age! HEHE! I'm a late deafie too!...Hope ur time here is really enjoyable!!....Good people, great posts!

First of all, try not to think of it as a curse!! The deaf people and thier culture both can be amazing and wonderful, it may be hard to get use to but it is mans nature not to accept change. You will find that some also do not accept deafness with aploze, and others would never give up being deaf for anything in the world because of the appreciation for the deaf culture and some of the wondful people. It is like getting amnesia and remembering everything about yourself except you remember one of two languages and its not your primary one, so now you have to make the best of it to be happy or sad and hope others in your life will change with you. I think you are taking a step in the right direction by coming to All Deaf, because you will find great people here but remember that it is not a curse if you can't hear your boss yelling and whining when you didn't bow as you approach him/her, it is only change and you have a heads up if you already know deaf people. I don't think you meant to insult anyone who accepts their deafness when you call it a curse, but understand that some may not give a warm wecome if you call it that too many times, I think they would like to help, live happy and keep your head up.

Back