Hello everyone!

Courtneystorrie

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Courtney, I am 24 and I'm from BC, Canada. I am neither deaf nor hard of hearing but have reached out to this site to hopefully gain knowledge and learn more about ASL and the ettequite of it. ASL has been something I've been interested in for quite some time now thanks to media and the show "Switched at Birth" like I'm sure many people have been on here before who are just wanting to learn. Although this is the reason I was mainly introduced to ASL, the reason I'm wanting to learn now is because there is a guy that has become quite a regular in my store and while we're able to communicate with him and I writing this to eachother or him reading my lips, I really want to be able to communicate with him in his language as well. Sort of like a surprise. He knows I know some basic signs but I want to be able to have full conversations and I don't know, make him feel like he's not forced to deal with things my way all the time. I don't know.

But anyways, from what I've seen this site seems great for people helping others and I don't think YouTube videos and pictures are going to help me really understand.

Hope to talk to everyone!

Greetings and welcome to the AllDeaf Community and Forum! We are please you are here and wanting to learn our unique language!

There is many users here who will help you learn ASL. Here is some useful and helpful links:

Learn ASL websites: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=75825

Users to learn ASL from: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=75825

American Sign Language University (ASLU): http://www.lifeprint.com

I sense you like this person?

If you shall give a good portion of your time and dedicate it to learning ASL, you will have a conversation with him in no time!

A quick and fun fact is that if you can learn 250 common words used in ASL, you'll be able to have a fluent conversation - based on common that is.!

I wish you luck in your journey learning ASL! :)

- MEGA

:welcome:

Which part in BC? I always wanted to visit Whistler for snowboarding........*thinking about going up there this Winter* .... :hmm:

Jiro, you up for it?

Ah b.c. my old home......
And my favourite part of canuckistan..

Authentic whistler is awsome....b.c. is awsome...you need to go bro...its WICKED!

:welcome:

Which part in BC? I always wanted to visit Whistler for snowboarding........*thinking about going up there this Winter* .... :hmm:

Jiro, you up for it?

Right now I'm in new west but I'm a Vancouver island girl born and raised! I've also lived in squamish which is super close to whistler! You should totally go! I want to say bad, haven't been in so long!

Ahh you used to live here? Where are you now love?

Im currently in ontario.
I used to live in east van, just a shot away from pain and wasting (main and hastings) in the balmoral, (i know, i know) certainly not a place for a classy gal like you....but if youve been to east van,by blood ally, you would know it....had to spend a while in maple ridge,
Ive also lived in white rock, the ob, when it was red and white....(they changed the name and gentrified it now)... then i lived in surrey....."-)...
All the nice spots...(cough)

Such is life...
Been told blood alley has been cleaned up, but the hasting shufffle is still a sight to see...

Hi! I'm close by in Calgary. I am also not deaf but have a son with whom I have been signing since 9 months...he's really good at it! He learns signs at daycare and so I'm falling behind now. I'm hoping someone can tell me the signs he is trying to tell me if I describe them. Do you know what a finger tapping into the opposite palm is?

Hi! I'm close by in Calgary. I am also not deaf but have a son with whom I have been signing since 9 months...he's really good at it! He learns signs at daycare and so I'm falling behind now. I'm hoping someone can tell me the signs he is trying to tell me if I describe them. Do you know what a finger tapping into the opposite palm is?

which finger tapping?

Nice name, MooseMommy

Ah b.c. my old home......
And my favourite part of canuckistan..

Authentic whistler is awsome....b.c. is awsome...you need to go bro...its WICKED!

I have never visit West of Canada like Alberta and British Columbia. I thought that Whistler is in the mountain in Alberta. I did not know that Whistler is in British Columbia. Is Whistler closer to the border of Alberta? :shock:

EDIT: I used to downski near Vancouver, B.C. only.

Back