Hello, Diesel Instructor could use advice

Diesel

Reaction score
Yes, I'm new at this too. I teach Diesel and Meavy Equipment Mechanics at a technical college and this year I have a Deaf student. I am looking forward to having him in my class but at the same time I'm Safety concerned too. has anyone out there gone through a mechanics class? My biggest concern is the Operations portion of the class where my students operate bull-dozers, excavators, backhoes etc. I presently communicate with them via walkie-talkies while they are operating. Whats the best way with the deaf? I'm old and not too computer literate so please excuse me if I make mistakes.

Yes, I'm new at this too. I teach Diesel and Meavy Equipment Mechanics at a technical college and this year I have a Deaf student. I am looking forward to having him in my class but at the same time I'm Safety concerned too. has anyone out there gone through a mechanics class? My biggest concern is the Operations portion of the class where my students operate bull-dozers, excavators, backhoes etc. I presently communicate with them via walkie-talkies while they are operating. Whats the best way with the deaf? I'm old and not too computer literate so please excuse me if I make mistakes.

Learn some sign language, maybe?

I know a deaf friend who does this kind of job. He said his boss and he started using pager. It also will give him warning if anything is in his way. They also start using cell phones to communicate. He said he didn't need his boss to sign. Writing notes is good enough for him, so that is what he said.

Does the student have HAs or CIs? Does he rely on signing only or can he communicate orally?

Some suggestions

I have worked in many a vocational-technical environment as an interpreter.

If the student uses sign language, best to have an interpreter, particular for safety instruction and classroom theory. You'd be surprised at how much easier that will make his life--and yours.

Someone earlier made the suggestion of learning some sign language. Let me tell you, when it comes to communicating at a distance, some kind of manual gestural communication would be very helpful. Maybe you and the student could get together and discuss what gestures or signs would be best for different words or concepts. Then use whatever you agree on.

If the student has an individualized education plan from high school that lists accommodations he has used, you may wish to obtain a copy of it. That would give you more suggestions as to how to set up your classes to be more Deaf-friendly.

Hope this helps.

~*WELCOME*~
TO ALLDEAF

I worked in tech but i work on cars all the time usually if we do have something i just get hit in the back to stop but since i'm just hoh i can hear if they yell i like the pager idea or maybe a light that you can control romote controled. good luck!!!

Diesel

The pager is a great idea. Thanks

I know a deaf friend who does this kind of job. He said his boss and he started using pager. It also will give him warning if anything is in his way. They also start using cell phones to communicate. He said he didn't need his boss to sign. Writing notes is good enough for him, so that is what he said.

Diesel

I have learned that our college has hired a signer, if that is the right term, and he will be in both the theory and shop classes with my student. but there is no room for him in the equipment while he operates it. I like the idea of a pager. Once i have an opportunity to meet in lenght with the student and his signer I'm confident now that we will work out the safety issues. the construction idustry does have general signs used by all workers in our field, that will help too if they don't conflict with ASL which I'm sure they don't. thank you for your reply.

I have worked in many a vocational-technical environment as an interpreter.

If the student uses sign language, best to have an interpreter, particular for safety instruction and classroom theory. You'd be surprised at how much easier that will make his life--and yours.

Someone earlier made the suggestion of learning some sign language. Let me tell you, when it comes to communicating at a distance, some kind of manual gestural communication would be very helpful. Maybe you and the student could get together and discuss what gestures or signs would be best for different words or concepts. Then use whatever you agree on.

If the student has an individualized education plan from high school that lists accommodations he has used, you may wish to obtain a copy of it. That would give you more suggestions as to how to set up your classes to be more Deaf-friendly.

Hope this helps.

Great! I think the interpreter (signer) will be able to suggest some things, too. That's what we do! Wonderful if you have gestures that are currently in use in construction; same as in baseball!!! You'll be fine! Enjoy the experience!

And you're to be commended for your concern and your willingness to learn something new! :)

I have learned that our college has hired a signer, if that is the right term, and he will be in both the theory and shop classes with my student. but there is no room for him in the equipment while he operates it. I like the idea of a pager. Once i have an opportunity to meet in lenght with the student and his signer I'm confident now that we will work out the safety issues. the construction idustry does have general signs used by all workers in our field, that will help too if they don't conflict with ASL which I'm sure they don't. thank you for your reply.
The term is sign language interpreter.

Yes, the three of you should be able to work out a system of communication during equipment operation.

One tip for using an interpreter: Speak to the Deaf student directly, not the interpreter. That is, maintain eye contact with the student, and don't say, "tell him this" or "ask him that".

I hope this will be a positive experience for everyone concerned. :)

HA = hearing aid
CI = cochlear implant

Thanks for clarifying it for him. Sometimes, I forget that some people dont know the terminology here.

:ty:

The term is sign language interpreter.

Yes, the three of you should be able to work out a system of communication during equipment operation.

One tip for using an interpreter: Speak to the Deaf student directly, not the interpreter. That is, maintain eye contact with the student, and don't say, "tell him this" or "ask him that".

I hope this will be a positive experience for everyone concerned. :)

Yes, that makes a difference if the speaker speaks to the deaf person directly and not in the 3rd person. There is a sense of feeling of connection with the speaker or the classes/meetings for the deaf person if he or she wasnt referred in the 3rd person and I am sure that will be greatly appreciated. :)

General industry sign will work well and also they have a pager system that will vibrate when you hit a button in case you need to get his attention quick. these are generally inexpensive and the local dvr office may even supply it. hope this helps

it will be wonderful experince for ya to teach a deaf student.. I majored in Auto Techology years ago at a voc-tech college in Ky .. it was challange at first bec of my deafness.. also know several people graduated with diesel mechianc degrees that are deaf too..

ya can use hand signals or pagers.. in old days we use Hand signals or written instrctions before perform the job etc

Back