Heh... another cheap shot....

That's good that you got reimbursed at least a portion of it!

Yep. To be honest, I never expected to be reimbursed because I had refused services. But the judge found that it was reasonable for me to refuse services based on the SLP's lack of experience.

If they say it costs that much to teach ASL, then someone needs to do a forensic audit on the books.

I wonder what sort of accomdations are being made for these kids if any?

When I was in mainstream, there were no terps and no note takers for me. I would see my resource teacher who worked with deaf kids once a week then in sixth grade, I would spend part of the day in the resource room and the rest of the day in the mainstream classroom. Oh yes, let's not forget speech therapy. I had that once a week. I had to see a tutor in the summer so that meant I had to work on school stuff. That's about all the support I got.
It's a minimal accomondations world out there unfortuntantly.
Most mainstream schools aren't designed to teach kids with more complicated/low incidence disablities.

Exploitation to say the least. This woman is out to make a living out of the tragic death of fellow human being, using it as a poor excuse. Sickening! Anyone, whether hearing or not, should not text while in motion or it will cause accidents. Pure common sense.

Personally, I wish the ignorant bitch would have stayed in Antarctica.

Oh, dear... did I type that? :giggle:

I have to say I think that people like this woman would be shocked at how much deaf schools and programs have improved. You know, it's no longer the '60's/70's, and Deaf Schools are no longer dhh versions of Willowbrook. I also think many AG Bellers are FUCKING CLUELESS about how hard it is to get accomondations in the mainstream, and that the mainstream isn't always the best placement in the world.
Not every dhh kid is the stereotypical Ag Bell kid who gets high honors and goes off to Name brand College. Ever seen the list of colleges attended by the AG Bell Scholarship program? Enough said.

I understand how upsetting it was for the reigning Miss Deaf Teen or whoever to be killed for not paying attention. That's what it was. She should have been paying attention.

Yep. I've read many stories of hearing people winding up in unfortunate circumstances for the same reasons (walking while texting). And what about all the accidents caused by idiots who think it's more important to talk on the cell phone than pay attention to the road?

Let's write a new article: "Prisoners of ignorance." :roll:

Hmmm.

If child grew up with ASL/BSL, got good education and good exam results, go to college and uni then able to work and uses ASL/BSL interpreter for all those.

If child grew up with oral only (profoundly deaf), can't understand teacher so poor education, possible low marks in exam or fail, maybe get college but poor result and never get to uni and find it really had get job with no support for anything.

I would think that oral child would cost more in long run cos they might be on benefits due not be able to work than ASL/BSL child would.

It would be interesting if they got proper cost of birth to adult for signing child and oral child.

It would be interesting if they got proper cost of birth to adult for signing child and oral child.

I dislike the whole notion of deciding these things based on cost instead of basing it on what's in the child's best interest. Let's say it really does cost $800,000 to teach a child ASL (never mind that the dollar figure is a load of crap). If that is what's best for the child then who cares about the cost?

Yep. I've read many stories of hearing people winding up in unfortunate circumstances for the same reasons (walking while texting). And what about all the accidents caused by idiots who think it's more important to talk on the cell phone than pay attention to the road?

Let's write a new article: "Prisoners of ignorance." :roll:

Nice one! Yes, let's! :lol:

If child grew up with ASL/BSL, got good education and good exam results, go to college and uni then able to work and uses ASL/BSL interpreter for all those.

If child grew up with oral only (profoundly deaf), can't understand teacher so poor education, possible low marks in exam or fail, maybe get college but poor result and never get to uni and find it really had get job with no support for anything.
Actually,
the argument that it costs less to educate a kid orally is based on the best case minimal accomondations scenrio. Meaning they only need a couple of years of oral preschool, plus just a notetaker, FM/soundfield preferential seating and then maybe speech therapy. Someone who needs more accomondations, including more intense oral accomondations would cost more.
But the fact is, that minimal accomodnation oral kids do not make up the majority. Many of them still have enourmous difficulties (ie resource room level) with written English, and need counseling and TOD services as well as other stuff.....

Forgot to say that if oral kid can't get job then will be on benefits and cost more in long run.

I read online about UK govement wants Deaf kids be oral thinking they are cheaper than signing kids but then Deaf charities came up with figures saying it doesn't make difference oral deaf kid is cheaper, some are even more expensive than signers in life rather than just education. Signers cost more in short term.

Really cost shouldn't matter, if Deaf kid need them then they should get it but govement runs with money. Cost is everything to them. Always try find cheapest solution to things and not thinking through everything and how it affects on Deaf kid.'

Forgot to say that if oral kid can't get job then will be on benefits and cost more in long run.

I read online about UK govement wants Deaf kids be oral thinking they are cheaper than signing kids but then Deaf charities came up with figures saying it doesn't make difference oral deaf kid is cheaper, some are even more expensive than signers in life rather than just education. Signers cost more in short term.
yes exactly. They cost more in the short term b/c they need specialized education (and may need res school....but then again you guys have a big oral res school that goes up to high school right?) but if a dumbass middle manager thinks an oral kid is intellectucally disabled due to a deaf voice or poor social skills (and that's a very common area of concern for oral only kids) then the oral person won't get hired.

yes exactly. They cost more in the short term b/c they need specialized education (and may need res school....but then again you guys have a big oral res school that goes up to high school right?) but if a dumbass middle manager thinks an oral kid is intellectucally disabled due to a deaf voice or poor social skills (and that's a very common area of concern for oral only kids) then the oral person won't get hired.

Yep, that is one of problems of oral person try get job, they need to know how to chat with people, how social work, etc able to do their job unless it like factory type of job when you all alone.

Speedy, you're missing something! It's not just profoundly deaf oral only kids who may be struggling....it's also HOH kids too!!!!! I really think mainstreaming and oral only is just an excuse for not providing good services, to cheat dhh kids out of a good specialized education!

Speedy, you're missing something! It's not just profoundly deaf oral only kids who may be struggling....it's also HOH kids too!!!!! I really think mainstreaming and oral only is just an excuse for not providing good services, to cheat dhh kids out of a good specialized education!

I know HOH kids can struggle too. I can't list all examples here so I just pick one instead.

In my experience it is ususally more deafer you are and if you struggle, it effects you much more than less deaf and harder to catch up.

Some of HOH kids I met struggled but when they got support, they caught up but more deafer you are, harder to catch up IF you get support, they can easily be delayed all time. It depends on kid. Some can, some can't.

I know HOH kids can struggle too. I can't list all examples here so I just pick one instead.

In my experience it is ususally more deafer you are and if you struggle, it effects you much more than less deaf and harder to catch up.

Some of HOH kids I met struggled but when they got support, they caught up but more deafer you are, harder to catch up IF you get support, they can easily be delayed all time. It depends on kid. Some can, some can't.

You are correct in that the difficulties occur on a continuum, but they never, ever disappear entirely.

Back