"Hearing Impaired" = offensive?

I am ddeeeeeaaaaffff!!!!! :mad2:

*relax - I am not offended. smile!*

I was hoh since birth and total deaf since 2006.
now this is going to be interesting.

I looked back your posts and didn't see any replies - how did you feel about that term, hearing impaired before 2006? if you ever thought about it.

most profoundly deaf people like me, you mean? yeah, so far. didn't you read their responses in links of threads I provided in this thread? research who's profoundly deaf first.

you said,

see here, definition number one. it's for people with little or little more than half hearing loss. if you're fine with that term, HI then that's fine with me. I don't use any "programs" (devices) so I'm not hearing impaired. since you wear HAs, I wouldn't count your opinion in as one or even half of it. I know there are a lot of HOHs who can hear, with or without HAs that can speak as well as you do so you can discuss this with other cell-phone HOHs, not even environmental stimulators either. for instance, Jiro and hearing impaired is not offensive to him either. :)

To say "profoundly deaf" doesn't necessarily mean the person will not like the term "hearing impaired" when used by somebody else. It'd be probably more true if the person has more of a Deaf culture upbringing who might feel offended by it but then again I know some people who doesn't get offended.

Oh, and, yes, I'm still deaf though I see myself as a HoH or even HI.

Speaking of tires, I want a 620 pound tire in my backyard for me to toss around. Where can i get one?

I got mine from a landfill that accepts rubber tires. There were a lot great tires to choose from and I picked three with the help of a friend who had a cherry picker mounted to a flatbed trailer. Lifted the three on board. Took it to a nearby metal recycling plant where they had a large scale to weigh trucks on it. Weighed each tire and got the weight. The biggest one was 620 lbs. Sweet.

To say "profoundly deaf" doesn't necessarily mean the person will not like the term "hearing impaired" when used by somebody else. It'd be probably more true if the person has more of a Deaf culture upbringing who might feel offended by it but then again I know some people who doesn't get offended.
no...doesn't necessarily mean...but true. 80-90% of profounds, especially those use ASL I know find it offended. end of discussion.

Oh, and, yes, I'm still deaf though I see myself as a HoH or even HI.
hear...deaf...hear... :dizzy:

PFH, batter your eyes at kokonut to retrieve his?

Oh, btw, if you're going to get a large 620lb tire, get some smaller and lighter ones 300s, 400 and/or 500lbs. Because with the 620lb tire and heavier the tire is so thick there really isn't any way to "grab" beneath the tire to begin the flipping process. The lighter tires you can but as soon as you get the heavier and bigger ones then it becomes harder to grab onto. And lastly, don't lift with your back!! Drive into it instead.

no...doesn't necessarily mean...but true. 80-90% of profounds, especially those use ASL I know find it offended. end of discussion.

hear...deaf...hear... :dizzy:

I know some who are culturally Deaf, they just shrug about the HI thing. It's not quite blanketed as some people are led to believe. Majority, yes. Everybody? No.

now this is going to be interesting.

I looked back your posts and didn't see any replies - how did you feel about that term, hearing impaired before 2006? if you ever thought about it.

I never considered myself "impaired" at all. I was just hard of hearing. I do not like the term, but I do see the validity of it. I just never connected it with myself. I never felt "impaired", just like other family member didn't feel they were "impaired" with their vision problems.

I did struggle and had a hard time in school. I did not understand why my classmates and friends could learn easier than me, but, there were also others who had a harder time than me. When I was growing up, we had a lot of migrant workers who traveled with the citrus/cotton/peach growing seasons and they went where the harvest was. those kids had a hard time in school and usually dropped out by grade 8 to work.

My father was also hoh, and he never felt "impaired". Our causes for hearing loss were totally different.

I got mine from a landfill that accepts rubber tires. There were a lot great tires to choose from and I picked three with the help of a friend who had a cherry picker mounted to a flatbed trailer. Lifted the three on board. Took it to a nearby metal recycling plant where they had a large scale to weigh trucks on it. Weighed each tire and got the weight. The biggest one was 620 lbs. Sweet.

Oh, btw, if you're going to get a large 620lb tire, get some smaller and lighter ones 300s, 400 and/or 500lbs. Because with the 620lb tire and heavier the tire is so thick there really isn't any way to "grab" beneath the tire to begin the flipping process. The lighter tires you can but as soon as you get the heavier and bigger ones then it becomes harder to grab onto. And lastly, don't lift with your back!! Drive into it instead.

Yea, I just fired an email to a farmer friend of mine to see if he has any laying around. Just wanted to see how tough it can be.

I don't plan to throw out my back anytime soon.

I know some who are culturally Deaf, they just shrug about the HI thing. It's not quite blanketed as some people are led to believe. Majority, yes. Everybody? No.
mhmmm, that's 10-20% I met, those seem are the ones who don't have pride, pride to fight at all almost anything or have lived a hearing/HOH life before. exactly is what...errm.."tire" people are missing, hearing impaired term is already blanketed by audists. otherwise we'd not be this offended. by the way, not all Culturally Deaf are profoundly deaf.

I'm profoundly deaf in one ear. Soooo....regardless, I'm still deaf but HI. heh.
... deaf = unable to hear. hear = two, both or either ears. so, UNABLE to hear with two, both ears!

Hearing Impaired = reduced, partially hear... one or both.

-------
ETA ~ thank you for your input, kristinab.

Last edited:
Yea, I just fired an email to a farmer friend of mine to see if he has any laying around. Just wanted to see how tough it can be.

I don't plan to throw out my back anytime soon.

Oh, and when you do. Please clean it. Water and soap, and good scrub. If it's been laying around check for stickers and such, too. I had to be careful with mine. I brought a long, oak stick. Went to the landfill and used it to prod a prospective tire for rattlesnakes (this was in the deep south of New Mexico). Walked around it. Lifted it up a little and set it down quickly just to disturb any critters and make themselves known.

The tires I had in the back yard during the summer were hot to touch. I actually took a temp on the surface and one time it got as hot as 127 degrees. It made flipping a challenge.

mhmmm, that's 10-20% I met, those seem are the ones who don't have pride, pride to fight at all almost anything or have lived a hearing/HOH life before.

My daughter is profoundly deaf from birth in both ears, uses ASL as her primary language, attends a bi-bi school. She has MUCH pride (even stretches out the DDDDDDDDDDD in deaf when she signs whether she is deaf or hearing, which her school identifies as a black & white distinction (either you have typical hearing (HEARING) or you don't have typical hearing (DEAF), including all shades of hearing loss.

Last night, as we prepared for bed, I asked her what she thinks of the term "hearing impaired" -- which I don't like to use, but still doesn't offend me (takes a lot to offend me). She SHRUGGED nonchalantly and pointed to her CI battery in in the charger next to the CI and said emphatically: I CAN'T LISTEN TO YOU. I'M DEAF.

Back